PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Cheylana
01-13-2012, 06:57 PM
The press conference article mentioned that Mirai got her learner's permit, so I guess she might eventually get her license and drive herself.

Rochelle
01-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I think it's odd that Mirai's mother still drives her around. Mirai is 18 now, correct? Maybe it's a maturity issue, but I've been driving myself around the second I got my license at 16. Then again, I was not an elite athlete so maybe there's a good reason that her mother is still taking her from rink to rink? Safety issues? Mirai not having a license or being a horrible driver?

It's likely expense. Even with the help from the memorial fund, show performances, competition award $$, etc. skating is an incredibly expensive sport -- and it's known that Mirai's family is not well off.

The cost of an additional car (and I'd sure want a newer, reliable car if my child was driving 4 hours round trip to train), car insurance for a young teen driver, gas, and car maintenance really adds up for those on a tight budget.

It's possible that someone in the family (even Mirai) would have to work several extra hours each month just to pay for added expense of an additional car and driver -- and instead it's just cheaper and easier for her mother to spend the time driving her to her training, before heading to work.

That, and SoCal traffic really can be a bit daunting for even experienced big-city drivers. If I were her, I'd seriously LOVE for my mom to drive me around so that I can nap (or play on my smartphone, or read) for those long drives. ;) Especially if it prevented me from having to get a part-time job, or working even more hours, in order to pay for all the car-related expenses myself.

icellist
01-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks! Funny about her jumps disappearing. I was skating on the ice with her a few weeks ago, and she was skating beautifully, and even did a really nice triple lutz/triple loop.

That had to have been the week of the boot change because she was having blades mounted, etc.

I hope she does well at Nationals. Being on the ice while she skates makes you realize how fast and high she jumps as compared to what it looks like on TV or from the stands.

From scootie12 at MKForum.

The post makes me think she is trying to relieve some pressure from herself. Let's try reverse psychology. I hope Mirai does not medal at nation. (I'm kidding, I really want her to do the best that she can)

Louise
01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
She's 18, not in college, doesn't have a driver's license, and basically skating is her full time job. Would that be correct? I guess I question her commitment to skating if she can only produce what we've seen this season. And maybe that interview was her trying to be her usual off-beat self, but frankly she is an adult now and she needs to act it. I wasn't amused at her ditziness. I'm sure TPTB at USFS aren't either.

I don't know, but alarm bells went off when I read that. Not only her inarticulateness, I mean, it was a phone interview so it was sketchy to begin with. But I'd be alarmed if someone's full time job, her major/only commitment right now is not on track. No one is ever really prepared for competition? Umm, no. Many people are completely prepared for competition. I'm torn, because I sometimes hate the whole "I just want to do my best, I am as prepared as I can be", but in reality, that's the outlook someone world class SHOULD have. I like Ashley's bravado, but that she has NOT backed it up in the least makes it embarrasing. Eventually you'd think she'd come back down to earth and say something like "I'm the underdog, but I have switched coaches, attitudes, training methods, elements, and totally given myself to this sport, and I hope that it shows in my placement this year at Nationals and I hope to win the title".

I dunno, I've been so bored and jaded the last quad. It would have been like after 1994 with no Kwan or Lipinski, the quad was CONTINUALLY represented by Bobek, Kwiatkowski, and Ervin. And then after 98, they all decided to stay IN after nothing special. eek.

Maybe it's time to clean the slate. The last quad was horrendous, and this quad is only the same old same old with the exact same skaters in 'contention' (for what exactly?).

I also have a feeling that Frank Carroll will not be telling Nagasu right before she does her LP "You are the best skater in the World, go out and prove it!". That was still passable last year. This year it will be like "You are one of the top ten or twenty skaters in the world, go out and prove it".

fenway2
01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
I also dislike the idea of using Four Continents as an additional qualifier. That's essentially asking a skater to peak 3 times. It's just asking for trouble once worlds comes around.

Vagabond
01-13-2012, 09:17 PM
I guess I question her commitment to skating if she can only produce what we've seen this season.

She finished first at Nebelhorn, second at TEB, and fifth at Cup of China, and her current ISU Season's Best is the sixth highest of women eligible to go to Worlds this season. It's also higher than that of Gold, Wagner, and Sotnikova. Do you question their commitment as well?

Louise
01-13-2012, 09:31 PM
She finished first at Nebelhorn, second at TEB, and fifth at Cup of China, and her current ISU Season's Best is the sixth highest of women eligible to go to Worlds this season. It's also higher than that of Gold, Wagner, and Sotnikova. Do you question their commitment as well?

I know Vag, but I always take 'top' scores with a grain of salt or a shot of Absolut. Yes, in this instance Womens/Ladies skating is in a rut. I fully expect Caro Kostner to stumble her way with only a toe, sal and loop to a world title. And maybe with all of Nagasu's spins, and jump ability she might get close after stumbles and pops and whatever.

Vag, if you were impressed by Nagasu and felt she was disciplined and held an integrity to her talent, then good for you. Scores really mean nothing. Caro is going to win worlds with less content than Elaine Zayak in 1982, is my prediction. I really have nothing else to say. Except that Caro does have amazing speed and control on the ice. Her spins? Eh, not best int he world. Jumps? Up to loop certainly not best in the world. But she will win this year. I'm certain. I don't care about scores. Skating is so political, if Wagner pulled off a 7 triple skate she'd become the new darling and favorite for the world title. It's so random. But Wagner will not pull this off.

I agree with you Vag. Yet I disagree.

Jarrett
01-13-2012, 09:36 PM

The pretty sure it is being questioned because she has the potential to win all of those competitions and didn't. What we have seen this season (mainly in LP) is someone that doesn't appear to believe in what they are doing. She doesn't have faith in the moves, the choregraphy, or the jumps. I can't think of one world medal contender this season that has looked like the way Mirai has skated in the long program. Sure some skaters will have an off skate but usually don't look like they are tip toeing around questioning themselves the entire time. Michelle Kwan at 1997 Nationals looked like that and that was tough to watch. Mirai has looked like that her entire season in the LP, even the long program at Nebelhorn which she won falling on a triple loop combo for no reason at all just like Michelle at 1997 on her triple toe combo.

icellist
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM

Just for fact sake: she was 5th at Skate Canada and 2nd at Cup of China. I also agree with Vagabond; Louise, as posters on a public forum we do have our opinions but your characterization of Mirai makes her seem like a lazy has-been which I think is totally opposite. As a cellist there are many techniques that I need to practice but there are some periods of times when I practice and those techniques and still aren't up to the level I want or was. I think FC did the right thing in changing boots; I change bows when I'm struggling and it does wonders.

Vagabond
01-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Just for fact sake: she was 5th at Skate Canada and 2nd at Cup of China.

Thanks. Somehow, I got her Grand Prix events confused.

The pretty sure it is being questioned because she has the potential to win all of those competitions and didn't.

It's being questioned because she had one poor competition, and it's her most recent. Since Nagasu moved up to senior-level international competition, she's always done significantly better in the second half of the season than in the first (even in 2008-09, when she skated better at Naitonals than on the Grand Prix). There have been various reasons for that, but she's hardly alone in that regard. Given the choice, I'd rather see her skate to her full potential at Nationals and ISU Championships than during the Grand Prix season. YMMV.

berthesghost
01-13-2012, 10:57 PM
I dunno, I've been so bored and jaded the last quad. It would have been like after 1994 with no Kwan or Lipinski, the quad was CONTINUALLY represented by Bobek, Kwiatkowski, and Ervin. And then after 98, they all decided to stay IN after nothing special. eek
....Not for nothin, but Ervin was gone already by 95 and Bobeck did stay in past 98. :lol:

anywho, 6 years later, I've actually grown bored and jaded by all of the endless "US Ladies suck!" whinging. :blah:

Prancer
01-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I think it's odd that Mirai's mother still drives her around. Mirai is 18 now, correct? Maybe it's a maturity issue, but I've been driving myself around the second I got my license at 16.

Even when I was in high school (1978), only half of kids in the US got their licenses at 16. Now it's much lower--less than a third of kids get their licenses at 16 now and the general attitude toward driving among teenagers is "Why bother? Too expensive, too much hassle."

minignome
01-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Even when I was in high school (1978), only half of kids in the US got their licenses at 16. Now it's much lower--less than a third of kids get their licenses at 16 now and the general attitude toward driving among teenagers is "Why bother? Too expensive, too much hassle."

Plus, with all the restrictions now, getting a license at 16 in CA means that you can drive yourself only between the hours of 5am and 11 pm for the first 12 months. If you wait till you're 18 you don't have any restrictions.

gkelly
01-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Not for nothin, but Ervin was gone already by 95 and Bobeck did stay in past 98. :lol:

Well, Bobek tried to stay past 98. She competed on the Grand Prix in fall 1998and actually had her best fall season (4th at Skate America, 2nd at Trophee Lalique), but health problems kept her out of 1999 Nationals. IIRC she planned to try to compete again in 1999-2000 but wasn't ready for the fall season so she turned pro at that time.

Sylvia
01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Here's what Ashley Wagner was quoted as saying in a general preview article I posted in the US Nationals forum:

"Going into Nationals, I feel a lot more confident because I know that everything I'm practicing is coming together," said Wagner, who has twice won bronze medals at the senior level (2008 and '10). "I feel confident with the jumps that I'm doing. That was basically the biggest issue. They [Nicks and Mills] wanted me to feel confident when I competed.

"If I keep the mindset that I've had I think that Nationals is going to not be easy, but it will be more manageable for me mentally than it has been in the past."