PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

victoriaheidi
03-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Abbott is the national champion. Unless he's injured (like Flatt last season, when she should have spoken up sooner and ceded her spot to Nagasu), there is no reason for the Federation to bench him. In fact, since the National champion always goes to Worlds if he is old enough, what you propose would require rewriting the rules after the fact.

Czisny like Abbott, has already been given the spot based on her performance at Nationals. There is no fair way of going back on this.

And thank heavens that the Federation sends out a clear message that it's what happens at Nationals that determines the World team. That way, skaters know what they have to do and can't complain if they don't make the team.

FYI: The Hague=Challenge Cup; Nice=Worlds. The post you quoted said that there was no reason to send them to The Hague.

rhumba
03-11-2012, 05:27 PM
No reason to send them to Hague if they were not in perfect condition. Hague competition would cause more damage than any since it's only two weeks before Worlds, their confidence must be zero base on their performance and result. Their coach made mistake asking USFS to send them to Hague, IMO. (I believe that they asked USFS to send them since they picked Zhang to 4CC instead of Alissa.) They should have stayed home and worked hard, trying to get ready for Worlds.

johnny158
03-11-2012, 05:37 PM
No reason to send them to Hague if they were not in perfect condition. Hague competition would cause more damage than any since it's only two weeks before Worlds, their confidence must be zero base on their performance and result. Their coach made mistake asking USFS to send them to Hague, IMO. (I believe that they asked USFS to send them since they picked Zhang to 4CC instead of Alissa.) They should have stayed home and worked hard, trying to get ready for Worlds.

I agree .. their poor performances will be known among judges and damage
their PCS.. Their coaches know their conditions than anybody else..
They should have be at home and prepared for World.:confused:

smarts1
03-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Doris,

^^ Ashley flutzes of course, but she hasn't had an issue recently with UR's [thank Mr. Nicks for tightening her rotations - one of her greatest flaws before the season started] and she 2-footed much less at 4CC's [at ALTITUDE] than just weeks earlier at Nats, so I'd say while she'll get dinged with negative GOE on the flutz at Worlds, she should otherwise be good to go. The only wild card is Seniority - she might get held down a little somewhere like PCS at Worlds due to lack of rep in comparison with Mao and Caro. So, she needs to make sure she gets that 2x-3t to give the judges no excuses - it's all doable.

She wasn't perfect at either 4CC's and Nats, so her ambitious nature still has something to strive for by Worlds. I'd say she's peaking nicely. I'm not worried about her having left anything at a previous competition.
-----------
Re Alissa, I just don't know. I still think the playing around with unattainable jump combos is probably the culprit. She might be still injured, but after the Flatt debacle last year, I'm sure she'd withdraw in time if it was still a serious issue in a week or so. She's come too far in the last year for it to be old Alissa re-emerging IMO

It wasn't just much less. There were absolutely NO 2-foots or underrotations in Ashley's LP at 4CCs. She deserved the title. Like others said, I just hope Ashley hasn't quite peaked yet and still has one more good LP left in her for Worlds.

Sasha'sSpins
03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Sasha flutzed like crazy but I wouldn't say she was prone to URs. And very few ladies right now have clean lutzes and flip and the WC favorite doesn't even have a lutz at all. :shuffle:

^^^
THIS!

olympic
03-11-2012, 05:54 PM
It wasn't just much less. There were absolutely NO 2-foots or underrotations in Ashley's LP at 4CCs. She deserved the title. Like others said, I just hope Ashley hasn't quite peaked yet and still has one more good LP left in her for Worlds.

I personally don't think she's peaked because she wasn't perfect - missed the 2x-3t at 4CC's which she did (albeit w/ a 2 ft. landing) at Nats. She's capable of more and she knows it.

smarts1
03-11-2012, 06:09 PM
^ Yeah, that's like the only thing that could have improved that LP. We'll see. Worlds is in like 3 weeks (Btw, does anyone know why is Worlds later than usual this year?)

nyskater09
03-11-2012, 06:59 PM
US National is a pre-judged event, IMO. They wanted to give Ashley a chance, however, they were not ready to dump Alissa and they still have some hope for Zhang. That's how the podium turned out. The same for ice dance, they love H/D and pushed this team all the way since day one, even they're not quite ready which showed at 4 CC's result. USFS has their own plan and at times, they chose the wrong skater(s). I also see no reason to send Jeremy and Alissa to Hague. It turned out to be a disaster and demoralized them before Worlds.

I agree with you 100%. I believe the judges knew going into nationals that they wanted to send Ashley and Alissa- unless someone else skated spectacular or Ashley or Alissa bombed, this was who they were going to send. Nobody should be surprised by Alissa's poor performances. Her technique is terrible and she skates as inconsistent in practice as she does during competitions. She struggles with double axels in practice. I'm sick of her being held up by the judges. Frankly I think Alissa should consider retirement because there's no way she'll be able to keep up with the Gracie Gold's and the other up and coming junior skaters.

love_skate2011
03-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Ashley had a meltdown

but who would you send as an alternate
Zawadzki who other than not able to get clean LP's and bombing them
at least with Alyssa, her scores if she bombs would be higher than Agnes'
Zhang is improving but don't know how she will handle a big competition like worlds, Mirai ? well she is a headcase right now and Gold being sent into senior
worlds just reeks desperation.

I'd say take the chance with Alyssa
she is a hit or miss but don't have any other choice atm

euterpe
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
^ Yeah, that's like the only thing that could have improved that LP. We'll see. Worlds is in like 3 weeks (Btw, does anyone know why is Worlds later than usual this year?)

Worlds starts 3/26, two weeks from tomorrow. The Ladies SP is 18 days from today.

Nomad
03-11-2012, 07:55 PM
I agree with you 100%. I believe the judges knew going into nationals that they wanted to send Ashley and Alissa- unless someone else skated spectacular or Ashley or Alissa bombed, this was who they were going to send...

Based on what? Up until this year, Wagner's highest score was 167.02. With maybe two exceptions, her scores at international comps have been in the 155-165 range. Decent, but nothing that screams "Crown her national champion!" Don't get me wrong, I like Wagner, but I fail to see why the judges would decide beforehand that the "almost girl" (Wagner's words, not mine) should be held up to make the World team. None of the ladies really brought their A game to Nationals this year; Wagner and Zhang came closest. I'll have to watch the programs again to see where I would have placed Zhang; I do think she should have been higher than fourth, though.

Jammers
03-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Let's face it almost all the Senior Ladies from the last few years are inconsistent. That's why it's been 6 years since a US Lady has been on the podium. Alissa doesn't exactly have nerves of steel Mirai is a headcase who still doesn't seem to take her career seriously and Caroline just isn't good enough to go to Worlds let alone medal. Ashley is allright but nothing special and Agnes can't seem to skate a clean LP. Let's hope some of the Juniors coming up will be better competitors with better jumps too because that it what it will take to win coming up in the next couple years.

nyskater09
03-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Based on what? Up until this year, Wagner's highest score was 167.02. With maybe two exceptions, her scores at international comps have been in the 155-165 range. Decent, but nothing that screams "Crown her national champion!" Don't get me wrong, I like Wagner, but I fail to see why the judges would decide beforehand that the "almost girl" (Wagner's words, not mine) should be held up to make the World team. None of the ladies really brought their A game to Nationals this year; Wagner and Zhang came closest. I'll have to watch the programs again to see where I would have placed Zhang; I do think she should have been higher than fourth, though.

Based on the fact that Ashley was the most consistent US skater this year. She hasn't bombed. She has improved a significant amount this year since being with Nicks- both artistically and technically. The USFSA sees and recognizes this. The USFSA realizes that she's our best bet to secure 3 spots for next year. 4CC proves that they were right. Ashley is riding on a high from Nationals and 4CC, her jumps are pretty solid and she's gaining international cred- I think she'll do well at worlds this year.

Theatregirl1122
03-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Frankly I think Alissa should consider retirement because there's no way she'll be able to keep up with the Gracie Gold's and the other up and coming junior skaters.

I seem to remember that there was no way Alissa would keep up with Mirai, Caroline, and Rachael. And then there was no way that she'd keep up with Agnes. I'm not an Alissa fan at all, but you'd think that people would learn that this logic seldom works.

Jayar
03-11-2012, 08:18 PM
She still flutzes, but her jumps were squeaky clean at 4CC. I don't recall any double footing, save for the 3-3 in the SP.

Exactly.