PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Mayra
03-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Have we had any US champion this unpredictable?

Mirai Nagasu?

I love Alissa, but...why is she so inconsistent? No triples landed in LP? This is only 2 weeks before Worlds. Any injury lately? I wish she did not go to Hague and stayed home practice. Same as for Jeremy...

I like them both, but injury or not, these kind of outings are par the course for Jeremy and Alissa. They can skate lights out in one competition, and play human zamboni in the next. If you're a fan, you just close your eyes and hope it's in the cards for them to skate somewhat decently in any given competition.

Triple Butz
03-10-2012, 11:56 PM
On a side note, congrats to Leah Keiser! :cheer:

Back to Alissa, below Marchei? *le sigh*

IMHO, if the US were to replace her on the team (which doesn't seem likely), the fairest way to make sure it's actually worth replacing her is to have a skate-off with Alissa, Caroline, Agnes, and anyone else they might be considering. Evaluate them all on an even playing field. I understand the "alternates" and all, but this is the only way to actually assure that they're sending the best person.

Ashley for sure earned one of the two spots. It's just the other one.
A skate-off would be ridiculous. Worlds is in two weeks. Alissa did not HAVE to compete in this competition, she chose to. Had she simply stayed at home and trained privately none of this would even be up for discussion. She and Abbott have both rearranged their jump layouts and it was a good idea to test them out here before the real competition. All we can do now is wish them the best. They are both capable of delivering so let's just keep our fingers crossed.

demetriosj
03-10-2012, 11:58 PM
perhaps this will end the 10+ year love affair the USFS judges have had over Czisny and her weak jumps?!

you reap what you sow..........

smarts1
03-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Ugh, what is with the patterns that's happened to all the ladies champions? In 2007, Kimmie won nationals, and in 2008, she bombed a lot of her events. In 2008, Mirai won Nationals, and 2009, she stuggled with her confidence and her jumps. In 2009, Alissa won (or more was held up) Nationals, and in 2010, she fell to like 10th place at Nationals. In 2010, Rachael won U.S. Nationals, and the following season, she was a hot mess at Worlds. In 2011, Alissa won nationals, and this season she's been struggling on her jumps. So will Ashley tank next year too then?

Mayra
03-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Ugh, what is with the patterns that's happened to all the ladies champions? In 2007, Kimmie won nationals, and in 2008, she bombed a lot of her events. In 2008, Mirai won Nationals, and 2009, she stuggled with her confidence and her jumps. In 2009, Alissa won (or more was held up) Nationals, and in 2010, she fell to like 10th place at Nationals. In 2010, Rachael won U.S. Nationals, and the following season, she was a hot mess at Worlds. In 2011, Alissa won nationals, and this season she's been struggling on her jumps. So will Ashley tank next year too then?

It's the Kurse of Kwan. :slinkaway

johnny158
03-11-2012, 12:08 AM

karma of extremely consistent Kwan :lol:

Sparks
03-11-2012, 12:08 AM
No, it is life after Kwan.

smarts1
03-11-2012, 12:28 AM
^ Yeah, and the thing is, they never really came out of their slumps. At least Gracie is around, as well as Leah (even if she didn't do that well in the FS at Challenge Cup) and Caroline is becoming more solid.

olympic
03-11-2012, 01:03 AM
^let's not forget Ashley!

Let alone Kwan. It's life after Tara, Sarah and Sasha as well. It's ironic in 2012 to think about how inconsistent many of us on FSU thought Sasha was while she was competing. I'd love to see a US lady reach Sasha's level right now [Ashley might be getting there, who knows]

victoriaheidi
03-11-2012, 01:09 AM
A skate-off would be ridiculous. Worlds is in two weeks. Alissa did not HAVE to compete in this competition, she chose to. Had she simply stayed at home and trained privately none of this would even be up for discussion. She and Abbott have both rearranged their jump layouts and it was a good idea to test them out here before the real competition. All we can do now is wish them the best. They are both capable of delivering so let's just keep our fingers crossed.

I'm just saying that if USFS decided to bump her, they should at least do it strategically. Not stupidly.

And I want to see Alissa deliver. I just hope this doesn't shake her confidence and that she isn't insanely jet-lagged after this.

Coco
03-11-2012, 01:29 AM
^let's not forget Ashley!

Let alone Kwan. It's life after Tara, Sarah and Sasha as well. It's ironic in 2012 to think about how inconsistent many of us on FSU thought Sasha was while she was competing. I'd love to see a US lady reach Sasha's level right now [Ashley might be getting there, who knows]

To be fair, I don't know if her results would have been as good under COP, given the same performances. This is an unforgiving system!

mag
03-11-2012, 04:31 AM
To be fair, I don't know if her results would have been as good under COP, given the same performances. This is an unforgiving system!

Sasha competed for many years under COP. Her Olympic silver was under COP. She did just fine.

feraina
03-11-2012, 04:33 AM
Sasha competed for many years under COP. Her Olympic silver was under COP. She did just fine.

But that was before flutzes or UR's were punished much, both of which she is prone to. And also there is no longer a spiral in the SP.

RD
03-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Well, all that is a moot point as she has made it clear in recent interviews that she is done competing.

5Ali3
03-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Is anyone familiar with training in elite swimming? Before the Olympics or Worlds, swimmers "shave" (literally, shave body hair) and "taper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapering)" (drastically reducing training to maximize recovery and thus competition performance). Swimmers will often compete in local or low-key meets "untapered" and "unshaved;" their times will be much slower than when shaved and tapered, but one can't be in peak competition shape for every meet or every competition. (I know Czisny chose not to taper completely before Nationals, with a goal of peaking in the last week of March rather than late January.)

I think we just saw Czisny and Abbott compete at Challenge Cup completely unshaved and untapered.