PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Coco
03-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Honestly, if there was a way we could send Zhang, I'd be all for it. Whatever Czissny does, I have more faith in her than Agnes at this time.

I don't think Gold should be overtaxed by being thrown into such a high pressure situation.

Uh...would it be easier to get 3 spots if we only sent Ashley? What would she need to place?

martyross
03-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I think Alissa Czisny is a little unpredictable. And I don't think fans should have put many expectations on a B-competition like this one. Worlds are a completely different story. More competitors, different atmosphere, and motivation. Not sure actually if such expectations make sense in the first place. She skates representing the US, but first and foremost, she does it for herself.

olympic
03-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I have to say, I'm a little alarmed by Alissa's performance at the Challenge Cup. I don't think she's scored that low since '08 :yikes:

Let's hope she can be top 10 at Worlds, and Ashley skates for a bronze medal

IceAlisa
03-10-2012, 10:34 PM
A little? I am alarmed A LOT. Best of luck to team Czisny for a successful regrouping before Nice. Sounds like the new jump layout is ill-timed.

jlai
03-10-2012, 10:37 PM
A little? I am alarmed A LOT. Best of luck to team Czisny for a successful regrouping before Nice. Sounds like the new jump layout is ill-timed.

I got the feeling they switched the jumps because things weren't working. :(

fenway2
03-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Honestly, if there was a way we could send Zhang, I'd be all for it. Whatever Czissny does, I have more faith in her than Agnes at this time.

I don't think Gold should be overtaxed by being thrown into such a high pressure situation.

Uh...would it be easier to get 3 spots if we only sent Ashley? What would she need to place?
I said at the time that Zhang deserved to beat Czisny at nationals. Let's see if good ole Phil Hersh ignores Alissa's dismal performances since she is his favorite.

pinky166
03-10-2012, 10:50 PM

1st or 2nd. That's putting a lot of pressure on Ashley. Well, considering Agnes is the 1st alternate we might as well send Czisny. Zhang is consistent with jumps but she's only 2nd alternate, Gracie is awesome but she's not an alternate at all and has never competed a senior FS so, that would be a little intense/unfair to throw her into that kind of situation.

I just doubt we will be getting 3 spots for the ladies next year, and I was feeling good about the men before but no longer. I don't think we can expect much higher than 8th from Rippon and top 5 seemed like a good bet for Jeremy before but won't be if he performs like he did here. Gah.

IceAlisa
03-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I got the feeling they switched the jumps because things weren't working. :(

And they are still not working. :(

Coco
03-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I think they put the 2a combo first because she was going for 2a-3t.

victoriaheidi
03-10-2012, 11:18 PM
On a side note, congrats to Leah Keiser! :cheer:

Back to Alissa, below Marchei? *le sigh*

IMHO, if the US were to replace her on the team (which doesn't seem likely), the fairest way to make sure it's actually worth replacing her is to have a skate-off with Alissa, Caroline, Agnes, and anyone else they might be considering. Evaluate them all on an even playing field. I understand the "alternates" and all, but this is the only way to actually assure that they're sending the best person.

Ashley for sure earned one of the two spots. It's just the other one.

rhumba
03-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Have we had any US champion this unpredictable? I love Alissa, but...why is she so inconsistent? No triples landed in LP? This is only 2 weeks before Worlds. Any injury lately? I wish she did not go to Hague and stayed home practice. Same as for Jeremy...

Jammers
03-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Don't know why everyone wants Zhang to go instead of Alissa. Caroline may be landing her jumps now but her skating still leaves a lot to be desired. She would be very lucky to finish in the top 10 even with clean programs. Agnes like Mira can't seem to perform a clean LP so we are stuck with Alissa. Lets just hope the younger men and women coming up in the ranks are stronger mentally then some of the Senior skaters like Allisa, Jeremy and Mirai. All three of them are capable of being on the podium at Worlds but are too inconsistent and don't have strong nerves.

smarts1
03-10-2012, 11:33 PM

Ashley would need top 2 by herself.

But I don't know. Hopefully, Czisny can bring herself together to skate well at Worlds. There's still hope.

Coco
03-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah, Alissa's PCS were legitimately well ahead of Zhang's. Caroline has improved a lot, but she doesn't cover the ice like Alissa.

Agnes, well, an Alissa bomb will outscore an Agnes bomb.

She's the best we have, since Ms. Nagasu just can't be relied on in competition. (But I still love you, Mirai!)

olympic
03-10-2012, 11:52 PM

I think Alissa must ditch the 2x-3t at this point w/o question. Go for a simpler jump layout - whatever helps her stay as clean as possible