PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

victoriaheidi
02-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Coooool.......

http://figureskatingprobs.tumblr.com/post/18161713588

via @JessicaCalalang on Twitter.

This is going on one of my notebook covers.

Vagabond
02-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Boy, can she spin! :respec:

DORISPULASKI
02-26-2012, 10:12 AM
She also did triple jumps while holding 2 huge Chinese fans (furled while she was actually in the air) in her exhibition. It is one of the most amazing exhibitions I've ever seen.

VarBar
02-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Wow, such a lovely little girl that Karen Chen and she skates with so much freedom of movement and confidence for her very young age. Is she the sister of Nathan Chen?

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Chen is one of the most common Chinese last names. :) No, Nathan and Karen are not related.

Reposting from the Gardena Spring Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry:

When is Karen Chen's birthday? Will she not be old enough to compete in JGP next season?
Karen Chen turned 12 this past August so is not JGP age-eligible next season (if she were age-eligible then she, as novice champ, most likely would have gotten a spring developmental assignment this year, like Nathan Chen finally did).

VarBar
02-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Chen is one of the most common Chinese last names. No, Nathan and Karen are not related.

Oh okay, thank you, Sylvia.:)

Rochelle
02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
If Alissa wants to remain one of the top US ladies, she'll have to train her ass off, which is hard to do when you're 25, 26 and past your peak.

All of these elite skaters already train their ass off. All of them. I'm 26, and for me -- and many friends in their mid 20s -- we're in the best shape of our lives, regardless of our fitness activity of choice and the level of participation.

Don't count her out as being past her peak because she's one whopping year old. :) Kostner and Suzuki seem to be doing just as well physically, as are many other female skaters in their mid 20s.

In our mid-20s, we may often have the advantage over those 22 and younger. We don't have college or high school in our way (with ever changing schedules each semester). We've moved past the temptations of recently turning 21, and weeded out most destructive distractions. We've settled into the responsibilities of being an adult. We've matured to the point that we know what we want, and how to best try to attain it -- and as a result are much more focused than we were at say, age 22 and before. We often have much more healthy and secure relationships with parents, coaches, training mates, and most importantly ourselves.

Even if science has pointed to females at hitting a physical peak somewhere around their mid-20s, you still have to consider the "mental" peak of female athletes. Skating is still a very mental sport, and I feel the women still have an agrueable mental advantage that can still create an overall equal, or stronger, athlete when compared to their younger peers.

Vash01
02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
IIRC Irina Slutskaya was 28 when she competed in the 2006 Olympics, which would mean she won her second world title in 2005 at age 27, with one of the most technically demanding performances ever. I could be slightly off with her age, but I think I have the correct range. If ladies can avoid injuries, I am sure they can skate singles competitively till they are 30, if they wanted to. I am guessing that they wouldn't want to, due to mental burnout, rather than physical limitations.

Sasha'sSpins
02-27-2012, 02:18 AM
IIRC Irina Slutskaya was 28 when she competed in the 2006 Olympics, which would mean she won her second world title in 2005 at age 27, with one of the most technically demanding performances ever. I could be slightly off with her age, but I think I have the correct range. If ladies can avoid injuries, I am sure they can skate singles competitively till they are 30, if they wanted to. I am guessing that they wouldn't want to, due to mental burnout, rather than physical limitations.

Irina was born February 9, 1979 so you're close-she would have been 26/27 in 2006 depending on the dates of the Olympic ladie's figure skating events (don't recall).

Jammers
02-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Irina though was a much tougher competitor then Alissa has been. Stronger jumper too. If some of the younger girls stop screwing up so much i don't see Alissa in Sochi.

pinky166
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Irina though was a much tougher competitor then Alissa has been. Stronger jumper too. If some of the younger girls stop screwing up so much i don't see Alissa in Sochi.

I think so too. And like I said, it's different in a nation where you don't have a hoard of youngsters breathing down your neck every season capable of kicking you off the podium and potentially down to like 10th place. Alissa doesn't have the luxury skaters like Carolina and Kiira have skating for America, she has to be on her game all the time otherwise the youngsters will pass her.

Triple Butz
02-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I think so too. And like I said, it's different in a nation where you don't have a hoard of youngsters breathing down your neck every season capable of kicking you off the podium and potentially down to like 10th place. Alissa doesn't have the luxury skaters like Carolina and Kiira have skating for America, she has to be on her game all the time otherwise the youngsters will pass her.
Youngsters passing by older skaters? You mean like Volchkova and Soldatova in 1999? Yeah, Irina just waltzed into nationals and beat them that year...not!
:rollin:

Russian nationals was a beastly competition for most of Slutskaya's career with Butyrskaya, Sokolova, Volchkova, Soldatova and others all in the mix to some degree.

Jammers
02-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Youngsters passing by older skaters? You mean like Volchkova and Soldatova in 1999? Yeah, Irina just waltzed into nationals and beat them that year...not!
:rollin:

Russian nationals was a beastly competition for most of Slutskaya's career with Butyrskaya, Sokolova, Volchkova, Soldatova and others all in the mix to some degree.

Yeah but compared to the US or say the Japanese the Russian Nats didn't have the Ladies depth that those 2 countries have had.

Jammers
02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
I

Triple Butz
02-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah but compared to the US or say the Japanese the Russian Nats didn't have the Ladies depth that those 2 countries have had.

All of the above except Volchkova are World medalists or World Champs and Volchkova is a two (or three?) time European Bronze medalist.

ETA: FOUR time bronze medalist lol