PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Chris_E
02-24-2012, 11:08 PM
She doesn't always flutz now, or at least doesn't always get called for it (it wasn't called in her 4CC free skate this year, or at Nationals last year, for example). I posted screen caps after Nationals last year that convinced me that her blade took off of the correct edge at that competition (albeit a very shallow one) even though her body was leaning to the inside (and what do you know, the screen cap is still available http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3aqnd.png. The original topic is here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77543).

Yes, I've noticed that she takes off on a very shallow outside edge as well.

Vagabond - As for Mao or Ashley beating Carolina, a lot of people will say that her jump content shouldn't be winning a World title. I will wait to see how everyone skates, would personally like to see those 3 on the podium in any order.

Sylvia
02-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Anyways, were any novice girls assigned to Gardenia? Karen Chen is really something special!
No novice girls were assigned to Gardena Spring Trophy (or Challenge Cup in The Hague) this year. Karen Chen will be too young for the JGP next season (she turned 12 this past August). USFS normally assigns skaters to the spring developmental internationals who will be JGP age-eligible the following season. That's why Leah Keiser wasn't assigned as a novice after she won the U.S. Novice title in 2010 (ditto for Nathan Chen in both 2010 and 2011).

pinky166
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
No novice girls were assigned to Gardena Spring Trophy (or Challenge Cup in The Hague) this year. Karen Chen will be too young for the JGP next season (she turned 12 this past August). USFS normally assigns skaters to the spring developmental internationals who will be JGP age-eligible the following season. That's why Leah Keiser wasn't assigned as a novice after she won the U.S. Novice title in 2010 (ditto for Nathan Chen in both 2010 and 2011).

Oh ok. You'd think they could send someone like Edmunds to compete as a novice there though, she's only 13 but was already JGP eligible this season because her birthday is in May. Where she finished 6th in juniors this season and Gracie is likely to do the senior GP, she will probably be given JGP assignments next season, but still has yet to compete internationally (I think she was next in line for a JGP this season but then narrowly missed out on one). Also I believe the novice men's champ will be JGP age-eligible as well.

euterpe
02-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Novice Men's champ Vincent Zhou is a year younger than Nathan Chen, so he isn't eligible for the JGP next season.

pinky166
02-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Novice Men's champ Vincent Zhou is a year younger than Nathan Chen, so he isn't eligible for the JGP next season.

Seriously! I thought he was 13. I think I confused him with Nam Nyguen from Canada. These skaters are so young these days!

Vagabond
02-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Vagabond - As for Mao or Ashley beating Carolina, a lot of people will say that her jump content shouldn't be winning a World title. I will wait to see how everyone skates, would personally like to see those 3 on the podium in any order.

But why should a skater whose "jump content" is greater only because she puts a flutz or two into her program win out over one who is otherwise every bit as good but doesn't attempt a lutz at all?

I know that's a hypothetical question, but it is a reasonable one to ask.

(In actuality, Wagner's technical content at 4CC's, leaving aside the [f]lutz, was slightly more difficult than Kostner's was at Euros.)

Chris_E
02-25-2012, 02:38 AM
But why should a skater whose "jump content" is greater only because she puts a flutz or two into her program win out over one who is otherwise every bit as good but doesn't attempt a lutz at all?

I know that's a hypothetical question, but it is a reasonable one to ask.

(In actuality, Wagner's technical content at 4CC's, leaving aside the [f]lutz, was slightly more difficult than Kostner's was at Euros.)

Well it's about the points. If they perform harder/more jumps they will score more points. I don't think PCS will be enough for Carolina to win if Mao lands all her jumps and get credit or if Ashley adds in the 2a-3t for 7 triples or even if Alissa manages to land 6 triples. The point I'm trying to make is that the top ladies are all very close in ability, there is no standout competitor like Yuna or Michelle.

Sylvia
02-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Posted on the Facebook page of the Professional Skaters Association (PSA) today:

Congratulations to the winners of the EDI Awards for Best Performance at the 2012 U.S. Championships in San Jose, CA:

Ladies - Agnes Zawadzki - SP

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Agnes? Now that's an interesting choice.

Who got the men's award?

flyingsit
02-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm not saying that no lady will ever have both a true lutz and flip but this season, I don't think it will really matter. Considering this has been a topic of conversation for 15+ years and we're still seeing skaters flutzing and lipping, I don't think it will ever really go away.

There have been ladies with both clean lutzes and flips in the recent past:
A healthy Kostner
Rochette
Emily Hughes
Agnes Zawadzki, I believe, at present

And that's right off the top of my head.

Loves_Shizuka
02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
^Lu Chen? Kerrigan? Baiul? Bonaly?

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Not to mention Gracie Gold, who has not only done both clean lutz & flip, but 3lz3t and 3F3t at least twice this season.

And, lest we forget, Rachael Flatt managed a clean 3Lz and a clean 3F combination at Nationals.

So it is not impossible for US ladies to do jumps off correct edges.

Rachael, of course, is done for the season, but Gracie still has Junior Worlds.

And, again, not to mention Tonya Harding and Kristi Yamaguchi.

Vagabond
02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Chris_E said:

Pretty much every top lady either flutzes or lips. So, does it really matter anymore? She'll get -1GOE and leave it at that. Really a pet peeve of mine that everyone points out flutzers but lippers as totally fine.

Other than Kostner, who hasn't been healthy enough to attempt a lutz in competition lately, none of the ladies listed in the last three posts is a current "top lady."

pinky166
02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Chris_E said:

Other than Kostner, who hasn't been healthy enough to attempt a lutz in competition lately, none of the ladies listed in the last three posts is a current "top lady," not even Zawadzki, who is going to Worlds.

Um. Zawadzki isn't going to Worlds AFAIK.

RD
02-25-2012, 04:19 PM
^ not unless Wagner and/or Czisny pulls out