PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

martyross
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
I haven't seen the film but read the reviews, have been to the ballet and watched the ABT version online. Much of the music in the ABT finale seems to correspond to the film score in Ashley's skate. Some of the choreography might have been interpreted as well, 0:44 in an arm position?, the "tippy toe" phrase -- Odette and Siegfried's song? BTW, the pose at 1:59 OMG how poignant, and the whole production beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOqUHfJBI8

thanks, nice find. Philip Mills is a ballet choreographer, right? here's a clip of Ashley working on the program with him http://youtu.be/-8A2nfgXrEU?t=4m13s

Sylvia
02-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Yes, Phillip Mills' background is in classical ballet - I just started a new thread in GSD re. a recent interview with Phillip Mills in which he discusses his choreography for Ashley Wagner: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82677

Sylvia
02-23-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm hoping that Barbie Long and Mariah Bell both get one of these additional assignments.

Hear hear!
Your wish has been granted. :) Barbie Long (J4) and Mariah Bell (J5) are going to Gardena Spring Trophy in April, as confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page today.

Jenna
02-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Finally a decision I agree with. ;)

Kidding aside, this is good expose for these two!

Jammers
02-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I love Mariah Bell's skating she has such personality on the ice. Needs work on her jumps though.

fan5
02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
I believe ABT dancers were involved in the film (at least Sara Lane was ABT), and perhaps ABT was the inspiration for the company in Black Swan? Unsubstantiated speculation, but I definitely feel that there's an ABT connection.

I'm not sure about at the corporate level but I've also read of ABT employees who freelanced on it. The Black Swan creative film crew must have looked at the local productions of Swan Lake for ideas. For instance the white swan Odette costume in the 2005 ABT production has a deep red cut from the cleavage through the abdomen, an unusual detail which Black Swan might have morphed into Nina's self inflicted wound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rs51n-2dtY

skfan
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Your wish has been granted. :) Barbie Long (J4) and Mariah Bell (J5) are going to Gardena Spring Trophy in April, as confirmed on USFS' International Assignments page today.

that's great news, thank you.

krenseby
02-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Well, in 2007 none of the US ladies medaled anyway. And haven't been able to do so since.

Our chances depend on two main things:

1) whether Wagner can keep it up
2) which Alyssa shows up at Worlds.

Well, at least the judges do like both of the skaters; that's a good sign. I mean it doesn't mean that either or both will make it, but at least we can hope that if they skate well, they will be sufficiently rewarded for it.

victoriaheidi
02-24-2012, 07:45 AM

Yay! So happy for both of them.

Stephanie
02-24-2012, 10:54 AM

:cheer: :cheer:

olympic
02-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Well, in 2007 none of the US ladies medaled anyway. And haven't been able to do so since.

Our chances depend on two main things:

1) whether Wagner can keep it up
2) which Alyssa shows up at Worlds.

1) yes (barring injuries). I think Ashley, who is trained, motivated and quite competitive by nature, will look at what she did at 4CC's and build from there.

2) the crystal ball is cloudy. But, the only time Alyssa was horrendous this year was at the GPF and that was due to injury.

kwanatic
02-24-2012, 01:16 PM
1) yes (barring injuries). I think Ashley, who is trained, motivated and quite competitive by nature, will look at what she did at 4CC's and build from there.

2) the crystal ball is cloudy. But, the only time Alyssa was horrendous this year was at the GPF and that was due to injury.

But there hasn't been a competition where we can say, overall, she was great. Last year she had two stellar competitions to look back on (GPF and nationals). She can't say that this year.

Alisaa had a good SP at Skate America and then had a very weak FS (only 3 clean triples, a fall and -GOEs on all but one jumping pass). She was held up in that competition based on her strong SP...I still think Carolina deserved that win. Alissa's strongest competition was TEB but she messed up her SP. She edged Liza T in the FS by a point and some change but she only ended up placing 3rd.

The GPF was a disaster (granted, she had a valid excuse) and she was very weak at nationals too. Despite her results (gold, silver and bronze through four competitions), Alissa's skating has been pretty meh this year. She'll have a good SP but then mess up the FS or vice versa. The only difference about Alissa's skating this year is she doesn't completely throw in the towel once she makes a mistake...but she's still as inconsistent as ever. I hope the time off will help her gain some of her confidence back. She can't afford to tank this year, especially if Ashley continues on her path. I honestly think Ashley has a better chance of medaling at worlds than Alissa.

Jammers
02-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm wondering if we've seen Alissa's peak now? She will be 25 in a few months and for someone who has rather weak jumps even when she lands them how much better can she get?

smarts1
02-24-2012, 02:51 PM
But there hasn't been a competition where we can say, overall, she was great. Last year she had two stellar competitions to look back on (GPF and nationals). She can't say that this year.

Alisaa had a good SP at Skate America and then had a very weak FS (only 3 clean triples, a fall and -GOEs on all but one jumping pass). She was held up in that competition based on her strong SP...I still think Carolina deserved that win. Alissa's strongest competition was TEB but she messed up her SP. She edged Liza T in the FS by a point and some change but she only ended up placing 3rd.

The GPF was a disaster (granted, she had a valid excuse) and she was very weak at nationals too. Despite her results (gold, silver and bronze through four competitions), Alissa's skating has been pretty meh this year. She'll have a good SP but then mess up the FS or vice versa. The only difference about Alissa's skating this year is she doesn't completely throw in the towel once she makes a mistake...but she's still as inconsistent as ever. I hope the time off will help her gain some of her confidence back. She can't afford to tank this year, especially if Ashley continues on her path. I honestly think Ashley has a better chance of medaling at worlds than Alissa.

Amazing what a few competitions can do for your reputation. NO ONE was counting Ashley as a medal hopeful at Worlds prior to Nationals and even post Nationals. Now that 4CCs is over, everyone is gushing about her medal prospects... Interesting...

Wyliefan
02-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Amazing what a few competitions can do for your reputation. NO ONE was counting Ashley as a medal hopeful at Worlds prior to Nationals and even post Nationals. Now that 4CCs is over, everyone is gushing about her medal prospects... Interesting...

I know. I love it. :D Not that I want to count chickens or anything, but it's sweet to finally see her doing so well that people have real confidence in her now.