PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

AliasJohnDoe
02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
I believe it would be sweet redemption for both Ashley and Alissa to get the 3rd ladies spots back.

Ashley was on the 2008 team that lost the 3rd ladies spot in the first place, while Alissa was on the 2009 team that didn't get the 3rd spot back in time for the Olympics. Both ladies would feel proud if they are the 2 ladies able to achieve getting the 3rd ladies spot back as a team whether they medaled or not.

Go Alissa and Ashley!!!!

Jammers
02-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Me too! What a great opportunity it is for her!:cheer:

I'm impressed with Leah Keiser. I can see her in the next few years maturing into a beautiful skater. Unless the growth monster gets her first.

toddlj
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Well, in 2007 none of the US ladies medaled anyway. And haven't been able to do so since.

Sorry, I think I should have said "since 2006" because I don't think we actually had 2 legitimate contenders in 2007. Meisser, maybe, but neither Hughes nor Czisny were getting anywhere near the podium in 2007 and I don't think anyone thought they would.

skfan
02-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I assume Czisny and her team believe it's in her best interest to compete one more time before Worlds. It may be as simple as that.

I'm glad Leah Keiser is getting her first international opportunity in the Challenge Cup Junior Ladies event!

is anyone else joining them--angela wang, nina jiang, mckinzie daniels... ???

i was so hoping to see leah at 1 JGP this season, so this is definitely welcome news. i know everybody's excited about gracie's jumps, and i know some people fell in love with nina's drama, but i think i like angela and leah the best of the young up-and-comers, esp. leah. even when jumps go awry, it doesn't take any spark out of her performance (granted i've seen very few leah performances). she seems to thrive under the bright lights, as if she loves competing, loves having everyone's eyes on her.

may puberty be kind to all the young uns...

Sylvia
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
is anyone else joining them--angela wang, nina jiang, mckinzie daniels... ???
These 3 have already competed on the JGP. The spring developmental assignments are for those who have yet to compete internationally and will be JGP age-eligible next season. I've heard there will be additional spring developmental competition assignments, but they have not been officially announced yet (they will be published on USFS' International Assignments page like for Challenge Cup).

skfan
02-15-2012, 11:41 PM
These 3 have already competed on the JGP. The spring developmental assignments are for those who have yet to compete internationally and will be JGP age-eligible next season. I've heard there will be additional spring developmental competition assignments, but they have not been officially announced yet (they will be published on USFS' International Assignments page like for Challenge Cup).

thank you, sylvia. i knew i could count on you :)

B.Cooper
02-16-2012, 04:20 AM

The International AEGON Challenge Cup has been used by USFS as a developmental competition for several years (it is only back as a spring competition since 2007). It was a competition that was held for a number of years in the Netherlands/The Hague. The Dutch federation stopped hosting the event perhaps more than a decade ago, and in 2007, the Dutch federation brought it back, hoping to rebuild their figure skating program, and to use the AEGON event to help showcase the Dutch figure skaters, as well as welcoming skaters from all over the world. (Interesting that USFS is taking a different approach this year by sending teams for development as well as seasoned elite skaters).

Stephanie
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I've heard there will be additional spring developmental competition assignments, but they have not been officially announced yet (they will be published on USFS' International Assignments page like for Challenge Cup).

That's great news. I'm hoping that Barbie Long and Mariah Bell both get one of these additional assignments.

victoriaheidi
02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
That's great news. I'm hoping that Barbie Long and Mariah Bell both get one of these additional assignments.

Hear hear!

Sylvia
02-16-2012, 06:26 PM
The following was posted in the 4 Continents forum the other day and I thought I would repost it here as well :):

Ashley named USA Today's Olympic Athlete of the Week (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/story/2012-02-13/USA-Today-Olympic-Athlete-of-the-Week/53081220/1)

Marlowe
02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Which makes sense if you've seen the movie. It seems to me that Ashley is intentionally representing Black Swan the film and not just Swan Lake the ballet.

That's what I get too. And she is using the soundtrack for the film, not the score from the ballet. So, to me there's little point in criticizing her for not adhering to the ballet traditions or in criticizing her for paying tribute to them or in criticizing her for doing a riff on them. If you don't like it then you don't like it, but there is no rule that says that one art form cannot borrow from and comment on another.

The fact that they chose the soundtrack from the film over the original ballet score makes it clear that Ashley is not taking on the ballet in its purest form any more than the film did. The film was not about Odile and Odette, it was about the woman who was dancing the roles.

Is Ashley portraying a character who is portraying a character? I don't know. What I think though is that by choosing the soundtrack she opened the gates to more freedom of expression than she would have had had she chosen the original score. By choosing the soundtrack, she's not bound by the ballet traditions as stringently as some would have it. And let's face it, this is not ballet. This is ice skating. Taking one art form and interpreting it in another is by it's very nature not the other art form.

Cheylana
02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
That's what I get too. And she is using the soundtrack for the film, not the score from the ballet. So, to me there's little point in criticizing her for not adhering to the ballet traditions or in criticizing her for paying tribute to them or in criticizing her for doing a riff on them. If you don't like it then you don't like it, but there is no rule that says that one art form cannot borrow from and comment on another.
Exactly. Would the critics prefer that Ashley just skate around the ice jumping and making no attempt to interpret at all? :rolleyes:

fan5
02-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Exactly. Would the critics prefer that Ashley just skate around the ice jumping and making no attempt to interpret at all? :rolleyes:

I haven't seen the film but read the reviews, have been to the ballet and watched the ABT version online. Much of the music in the ABT finale seems to correspond to the film score in Ashley's skate. Some of the choreography might have been interpreted as well, 0:44 in an arm position?, the "tippy toe" phrase -- Odette and Siegfried's song? BTW, the pose at 1:59 OMG how poignant, and the whole production beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOqUHfJBI8

Ashley's program is a great pleasure to watch.

How about the costume, black with white accents? A 1976 ABT version had six swan maidens in black along side the other swan maidens in white.

victoriaheidi
02-22-2012, 12:07 AM
I haven't seen the film but read the reviews, have been to the ballet and watched the ABT version online. Much of the music in the ABT finale seems to correspond to the film score in Ashley's skate. Some of the choreography might have been interpreted as well, 0:44 in an arm position?, the "tippy toe" phrase -- Odette and Siegfried's song? BTW, the pose at 1:59 OMG how poignant, and the whole production beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOqUHfJBI8

Ashley's program is a great pleasure to watch.

How about the costume, black with white accents? A 1976 ABT version had six swan maidens in black along side the other swan maidens in white.

I believe ABT dancers were involved in the film (at least Sara Lane was ABT), and perhaps ABT was the inspiration for the company in Black Swan? Unsubstantiated speculation, but I definitely feel that there's an ABT connection.

Angela-Fan
02-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Nm wrong thread