PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

RD
02-12-2012, 09:42 PM
I had no idea about the 2009 COR thing either. I also thought this was Wagner's first time beating Asada.

AliasJohnDoe
02-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Though I feel Asada is the better skater, it must be a confidence booster for Ashley to beat such an accomplished skater as Mao.

Many US ladies have beaten Mao before. Alissa beat Mao 3 out of 4 competitions last season (SC2010, TEB2010, Worlds 2011...Mao only beat Alissa at 4CC 2011). They haven't competed against each other yet this season. Mirai also beat Mao at their last head-to-head competition together (TEB 2010).....ETA: oops...forgot Mao beat Mirai at 4CC2011.

victoriaheidi
02-12-2012, 10:02 PM
I think the thing that makes me cry when Ashley wins (versus, say, Alissa) is Ashley's drive. She owns the ice from the minute she steps on. She's graceful/artistic when it matters, but she isn't afraid to be powerful and confident. And, of course, I'm thrilled that, instead of being "close," she's "there." She knows what she wants, she's worked hard to make it happen, and I'm so happy for her.

[Also, noticed some improvement on her Nats performance. She has more she can do for Worlds, but she's already improved.]

Jammers
02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm still not that impressed with Wagner. She's a nice skater but she doesn't do anything really spectacular. She is a better competitor then what the US has had the last few years though and that's a good sign. Maybe all that talk about Gracie Gold has given these girls a kick in the butt and gotten them in gear.

RD
02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I am, actually. Wagner may just be that fire, that spark & competitiveness that the US ladies have been missing for 6 years. But we need consistency. That's where we're really hurting.

leesaleesa
02-13-2012, 01:08 AM
The arm movements on her spiral have been very controversial this season for Ashley. Some fans LOVE it, while others absolutely hate it. Well, it seems like it's working for the judge because she has consistently been getting +2s and +3s for her spiral.

The spiral is the turning point in the program, which starts out quiet and lyrical, and slowly builds. Once she hits the final arm position, the program goes into a more intense second half. It's pretty brilliant choreography, IMO.

Who would of thought "nice flip" and Caroline Zhang would be uttered in the same sentence? Quite a comeback.

Theatregirl1122
02-13-2012, 01:12 AM
The spiral is the turning point in the program, which starts out quiet and lyrical, and slowly builds. Once she hits the final arm position, the program goes into a more intense second half. It's pretty brilliant choreography, IMO.

Which makes sense if you've seen the movie. It seems to me that Ashley is intentionally representing Black Swan the film and not just Swan Lake the ballet.

IceAlisa
02-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Yes, the Black Swan choreography is absolutely brilliant, I agree. The arm positions are original on the spiral are original and bring a modern feel to the skating because, remember this is not the ballet but the movie.
Also, Ashley's grace, determination and intensity match the character so well that one of the commentators (Tara?) said you could almost see feathers popping out of her back.

Genius choreography and brilliant execution by Ashley. Kudos!

orbitz
02-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Yes, the Black Swan choreography is absolutely brilliant, I agree. The arm positions are original on the spiral are original and bring a modern feel to the skating because, remember this is not the ballet but the movie.

I couldn't tell when the white swan ended and when the black swan began. The music and speed picked up, but Ashley had the same smiling expression throughout when maybe it should've been more intense to signify the black swan? The whole 4 minutes felt like one swan to me. I cringed at the cliche-ish dancing on the toe-pick step when Tara said, "That's my favorite part!" :lol:

Also, Ashley's grace, determination and intensity match the character so well that one of the commentators (Tara?) said you could almost see feathers popping out of her back.

The commentator said that because she really felt it, or was it because she simply thought it was something "witty" to say? I say the latter, because it felt like a throw away statement as in "ha ha, I'm so clever for saying it."

Nomad
02-13-2012, 01:26 AM
I've been waiting for Wagner to bring it since her senior debut, and now she finally has. Go Ashley! :cheer2:

IceAlisa
02-13-2012, 01:26 AM
I couldn't tell when the white swan ended and when the black swan began. The music and speed picked up, but Ashley had the same smiling expression throughout when maybe it should've been more intense to signify the black swan? The whole 4 minutes felt like one swan to me. I cringed at the cliche-ish dancing on the toe-pick step when Tara said, "That's my favorite part!" :lol:

Perhaps you are not supposed to tell. And I am sorry if what you perceive as cliches bores you but the choreography of Swan Lake ballet is what it is. It's kind of like calling imitating the swan's wings with port de bras cliche. What do you expect, the Chicken Dance? Of course there will be bourrees to signify Odette and sharp, dominant looking moves to signify Odile.

The commentator said that because she really felt it, or was it because she simply thought it was something "witty" to say? I say the latter, because it felt like a throw away statement as in "ha ha, I'm so clever for saying it." Actually, that's quite a few of us watching were feeling.

orbitz
02-13-2012, 01:33 AM
And I am sorry if what you perceive as cliches bores you but the choreography of Swan Lake ballet is what it is. It's kind of like calling imitating the swan's wings with port de bras cliche. What do you expect, the Chicken Dance?

The "Chicken Dance" would at least be original, wouldn't it. How about just leaving it out? Just because you're choreographing a piece to SL for a female skater it doesn't mean that you automatically have to put in that step. I feel the same way about the arms flapping.

IceAlisa
02-13-2012, 02:03 AM
I don't know how familiar you are with ballet and the Swan Lake in particular, orbitz but that would be leaving out a signature move, or what you for your likely lack of exposure, consider cliche.

Have you ever wondered why the classic choreography of these ballets had mostly been left alone? Because it's classic, not a cliche but classic. You can't do Swan Lake without them, otherwise it's not Swan Lake. Or it's like saying, let's do Don Quixote but leave out Desafio De Kitri because it's cliche. Or lets do Sleeping Beauty but leave out the Rose Adagio because it's cliche. And so on.

If you want the Chicken Dance, skate to the appropriate music.

orbitz
02-13-2012, 04:36 AM
I don't know how familiar you are with ballet and the Swan Lake in particular, orbitz but that would be leaving out a signature move, or what you for your likely lack of exposure, consider cliche.

You're freaking incredible. What a condescending thing to say but maybe that's you. I'm surprised you don't have problem breathing every time it rains.

Sasha'sSpins
02-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Perhaps you are not supposed to tell. And I am sorry if what you perceive as cliches bores you but the choreography of Swan Lake ballet is what it is. It's kind of like calling imitating the swan's wings with port de bras cliche. What do you expect, the Chicken Dance? Of course there will be bourrees to signify Odette and sharp, dominant looking moves to signify Odile.
Actually, that's quite a few of us watching were feeling.

Speaking of chickens, I'd prefer Ashley's staccato Black Swan arms in her LP spiral over Alena's flapping chicken wings in HER LP spiral from last season. :scream:

I guess some people just don't 'get' Wagner's Black Swan and that's ok. The judges seem to now and that's the most important thing.

Also, apart from her staccato spiral, I also love Ashley's tippy-toe moves at the end of her program. Black Swan is based on a ballet after all! :D