PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

mag
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm surprised that people in general liked Ashley's programs. I didn't think the LP was memorable at all, and she didn't deliver a knock-out performance. Ashley won for delivering two competent performances and because the skaters ahead of her faltered.

I suspect the majority of championships are won this way. It is great when someone wins with a knock-out performance, but all it takes to win is to be better than your competitors. Ashley needs to peak at Worlds.

RD
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I have to agree that Wagner's performance, while definitely good enough for the win, was quite forgettable.

Chris_E
02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I disagree. I think Ashley's programs were quite memorable (perhaps only if you're a fan). Her short program was relaxed and confident and the long while not perfect was strong and determined. I also agree that Alissa's long this year is worse and probably has held her back, it just doesn't appear that she enjoys skating it as much as last years long.

IceAlisa
02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Ashley's performance has all the non-skating fans I've shown it to in awe. It was a gorgeous, creative and strong performance and generated amazing crowd energy live.

Standing O! :cheer2:

kwanatic
02-09-2012, 05:38 PM
^^It stood out to me mainly because of the confidence she brought to it. No it wasn't perfect, but she was one of the only skaters that night that took the ice looking like they knew they were about to kick some @$$.

The change to the style of Ashley's skating is very noticeable. One only has to look at her programs from the past two years to note the difference. Like she said in that IN article, she would skate so determined to win that it ended up being detrimental to her performances. She always gave off a very anxious, frantic, overeager energy in her programs. This year she's calmer and more relaxed and that makes her skating enjoyable to me. Her upper body movement and lines have greatly increased and she projects to the audience more.

I just respect her for putting forth the effort to make the changes necessary. I feel the same about the turnaround in Alissa's skating, as well as Caroline's. I'm really hoping Mirai gets inspired by seeing how well all of these skaters she used to be above are improving themselves: making coaching changes, relocating, working on their mental game, training hard, getting fit...whatever it takes to see improvements in the standings. Hopefully that will push her to make some decisions and changes of her own.

Jammers
02-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Mira better do something different soon because it's not working. The way it's going she's going to be passed by other skaters as well if she doesn't get it together. The fact that Caroline is now skating better then Mirai should light a fire under her. If it doesn't she's done as a serious contender to make the Olympic team for Sochi.

centerstage01
02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Ashley is not my favorite skater by any means, but I admire her work ethic and determination to get out there and win. She trained hard, kept her eye on the goal, and did what she had to do. Can't fault that.

leesaleesa
02-10-2012, 01:50 AM
I thought Ashley's program had a couple of really nice moments, namely the arms on the spiral, and the spread eagle into triple loop. Hopefully, it gets even better for Worlds.

Enjoyed Rachael's Firebird, but couldn't help thinking the music was made for Sasha. Shame she never used it.

Sasha'sSpins
02-10-2012, 02:43 AM
I think Ashley's "Black Swan" is the best LP she's ever done. I love it and I hope she skates lights out at 4CCs! :)

I posted this in the Mirai thread but in case anyone missed it-if there is any truth to what was reported today in the Mirai thread at Golden Forums then Frank is ready to let Mirai go if she doesn't change her situation and soon. Allegedly he stated that Mirai must make some decisions about her future, he suggested she live with a family closer to his rink (excellent idea imo) but her mom isn't going for it. He also apparently suggested coaches closer to the Nagusu's in the L.A. area. It's do or die time for Mirai imo.

Marco
02-10-2012, 07:38 AM
I thought Ashley's program had a couple of really nice moments, namely the arms on the spiral, and the spread eagle into triple loop. Hopefully, it gets even better for Worlds.

On the other hand, Nagasu and Czisny have really boring and empty free skates this season. Wagner's Black Swan was definitely one of the better programs by elite US ladies this season (although Cesario could have given her a challenge if not for her untimely injury :mad:).

On the international front, Wagner has better programs than her direct competitors (the Russians, Elene G, Murakami, etc) and that's really what matters.

kwanatic
02-10-2012, 02:05 PM
On the international front, Wagner has better programs than her direct competitors (the Russians, Elene G, Murakami, etc) and that's really what matters.

I don't know, there are a number of decent programs out there now. For some reason they aren't getting the attention though..

The only Russian lady whose program I really like (in terms of seniors) is Ksenia Makarova's SP. I don't know if anyone's paid attention to it, mostly because the focus has been on how disjointed her LP is and how her jumps have gone AWOL, but her SP is really nice. It kinda reminds me of Carolina Kostner's SP in that it's quirky and a bit unusual. I like it a lot...I also like Adelina Sotnikova's Bolero; it suits her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2wl9svgeLs

Murakami also has good programs this year. Again, people may have not noticed because she struggled through the GP but she's grown a lot in terms of maturity and presentation, plus she's got her huge 3t-3t back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTPAYHNUZ1Q

Out of the US girls, I think Ashley has the strongest set of programs (both SP and LP). Alissa's SP is very much like any other program she's done, but I still think it's very lovely...her LP is a bore though.

Sylvia
02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I originally posted this pre-SP article on Caroline Zhang, plus a bit of Agnes Zawadzki at the end, in the 4CC forum in Kiss and Cry: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120209&content_id=26632802&vkey=ice_news

victoriaheidi
02-10-2012, 05:58 PM
On the other hand, Nagasu and Czisny have really boring and empty free skates this season. Wagner's Black Swan was definitely one of the better programs by elite US ladies this season (although Cesario could have given her a challenge if not for her untimely injury :mad:).

People have said stuff like this after the last two Nationals (ie Cesario is a podium challenger), but I don't feel like Cesario's proven that yet.

RockTheTassel
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
People have said stuff like this after the last two Nationals (ie Cesario is a podium challenger), but I don't feel like Cesario's proven that yet.

I agree. I like Cesario, but I feel like she's another skater who's getting over-hyped. She has nice qualities, but she's had enormous struggles with injuries and underrotations. The predictions of her making the podium at Nationals or placing in the top ten at Worlds are a little much considering what she's shown so far.

I do really hope we get to see Cesario at Nationals next year.

Marco
02-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh I didn't mean Cesario could challenge Wagner for the title, I meant she could challenge Wagner for having the best programs this season for US ladies. There was a lot more evil in her Black Swan for one. :lol: