PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

kwanatic
01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
maybe Mirai Nagasu should find someone that helps her to pour herself into the programs. i mean, not only her cute-funny side.

But that seems to be the problem. She went for sexy and saucey with her SP and failed...she went for serious and mature with her LP and failed. It's possible to play up her fun, energetic personality without looking like a 12 year old. Akiko's programs are fun and full of energy...but no one would call them cutesy wutesy. That's what Mirai needs. Some music and choreography that will allow her personality to shine.

haribobo
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Yes, because when you're not wildly successful at something the first time, you should never try it again. :rolleyes:

mag
01-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Yes, because when you're not wildly successful at something the first time, you should never try it again. :rolleyes:

Well, if you feel embarrassed by the emotions you need to display in front of thousands of people, maybe you need to make a change and then try again in a year or so. I don't think anyone is saying Mirai should never skate to something sexy, just that perhaps she is not ready for that yet. There is lots of great music out there that is mature enough for an 18 year old without being sexy or flirtatious.

martyross
01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Well, if you feel embarrassed by the emotions you need to display in front of thousands of people, maybe you need to make a change and then try again in a year or so.

mmh. yep. she seems a shy girl. Japanese ladies too look more reserved when they skate. she needs what David Wilson did with Yuna year after year. would help her to relax, perhaps.

PDilemma
01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
I thought the same thing about Santee's comment; i.e., "Where did that come from?"

Certainly Agnes was already under huge pressure, but I still maintain that Santee's comment may have made it worse. Knowing that everyone knows your weakness and is just waiting for you to crash and burn like in a NASCAR race would add to my hysteria if I were ever in Agnes's place. Ha-ha.

Did he say it to her, though? My impression was that he said it to Scott and Scott said it on the air. Agnes wasn't listening to the commentators before or while she skated. And we don't know that Santee said it to her.

Agnes was too hyped before she skated. That was easy to see. And that has nothing to do with what her coach did or did not say to a commentator.

Cheylana
01-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Seems to me that Agnes has crashed and burned in several freeskates over the last two seasons. Was she skating last in all of them? Just seems like the freeskate is not her thing.

Bosha
01-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Did he say it to her, though? My impression was that he said it to Scott and Scott said it on the air. Agnes wasn't listening to the commentators before or while she skated. And we don't know that Santee said it to her.

Agnes was too hyped before she skated. That was easy to see. And that has nothing to do with what her coach did or did not say to a commentator.

I guess we will have to disagree on the probability that Agnes knew.

I think that we can agree on Agnes's nervousness before she skated the long.

RD
01-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Seems to me that Agnes has crashed and burned in several freeskates over the last two seasons. Was she skating last in all of them? Just seems like the freeskate is not her thing.

I agree. That, PLUS the pressure of being the leader and skating last, I figured it was a foregone conclusion that she wouldn't skate well.

victoriaheidi
01-31-2012, 11:37 PM
I thought most universities offer online courses now. Even the ivy leagues.

On your transcript it doesn't even differentiate them from normal classes. For some kids it's harder because you have to motivate yourself to get the reading and work done.

http://unex.uci.edu/courses/access_uci/online.aspx

It doesn't look like a feasible option in the majority of cases.

I know my school doesn't offer undergraduate courses online, but there is online grad school.

jlai
02-01-2012, 12:01 AM
actually, the long program was more in line with what Agnes did in the GPs

smarts1
02-01-2012, 01:57 AM
I just Googled the distance between the Lake Arrowhead rink and UCI. It's a 75 mile distance. It's a further distance than Arcadia to Lake Arrowhead. As much as I'd like to see Mirai in a better coaching situation, she's digging a hole for herself if she goes to UCI (sadly, it's more of a "when" than an "if"). If she commutes to UCI, too, she's going to have one tough drive after another.

It looks like it's too late for this, but if she wanted to go to UC Riverside, she'd have a shorter commute to the rink-but she'd probably have to live on/near campus.

I think she has said she will take a lot of her classes online.

Bosha
02-01-2012, 02:02 AM
I agree. That, PLUS the pressure of being the leader and skating last, I figured it was a foregone conclusion that she wouldn't skate well.

I enjoy her skating, so I'm hoping that she will get it together like some others have by 1) finding the best training environment for her, 2) working with a sports psychologist, which she is, 3) getting more international experience and 4) making the gain of maturity after the passing of a few more birthdays that many people achieve.

feraina
02-01-2012, 03:08 AM
Maybe she should take a year off and go to college.

In principle that might work. But I can't see it working for Mirai. For the last few seasons, she always looked out of the shape after each summer, and slowly worked her way into shape toward the end of the season (sometimes peaking too late). If she took a whole year off, I think she would be so out of shape that she would have a really, really hard time getting competitive with the top girls again.

Louis
02-01-2012, 03:24 AM
I agree that Santee's comments were outrageous, assuming Scott Hamilton paraphrased them correctly. If his goal was to downplay expectations, there are various more subtle ways to get the point across while still being supportive of the athlete.

skfan
02-01-2012, 04:02 AM
I agree that Santee's comments were outrageous, assuming Scott Hamilton paraphrased them correctly. If his goal was to downplay expectations, there are various more subtle ways to get the point across while still being supportive of the athlete.

couldn't it be a case of a coach saying something 'off the record,' trusting that the broadcaster would have the discretion not to say it on air? i know of several examples (non-skating) where an athlete or coach said something and then was stunned to find it in print.

maybe santee was just insufficiently media-savvy? i imagine where microphones are believed to be absent, much harsher statements are being exchanged / confided all the time.