PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

victoriaheidi
01-31-2012, 01:35 AM
Either way, it would benefit Nagasu to leave him IMHO. I think she needs someone that will motivate her, keep her in line, but also encourage her to utilize her strengths.

Before the mass exodus from Priscilla Hill, I would have said that I wanted Mirai there. But now I think that's probably not a good idea.

For the record, where DO people want Mirai to go if she leaves FC?

smarts1
01-31-2012, 01:37 AM
^ Artunian. She even said she likes working with him, and he does do wonders in the jumping department. On top of that, she can dump Nichol.

Bosha
01-31-2012, 01:37 AM
^ As well as she did, you have to admit Agnes is somewhat of a headcase. Her coach even admitted that he knew Agnes was going to mess up.

David Santee said that Agnes didn't do well when she had to skate last. He told Scotty and Scotty repeated it on TV.

Someone in Agnes's party should ask Coach Santee to keep that among him, Agnes and her other coach, Kristy Krall. It might be easier for Agnes to handle skating last if the whole skating universe wasn't waiting for her to flop.

victoriaheidi
01-31-2012, 01:44 AM
^ Artunian. She even said she likes working with him, and he does do wonders in the jumping department. On top of that, she can dump Nichol.

Oh, I was hoping that dumping Nichol was a given. I'm sick of her [Nichol's] programs.

Artunian is probably actually a good choice for her, given her need to improve her jumps. REGARDLESS of whether we think it's something in her head or out of her head or has nothing to do with her head or whatever, I hope she also starts seeing a sports psychologist, because she needs to talk to someone.

smarts1
01-31-2012, 02:19 AM
David Santee said that Agnes didn't do well when she had to skate last. He told Scotty and Scotty repeated it on TV.

Someone in Agnes's party should ask Coach Santee to keep that among him, Agnes and her other coach, Kristy Krall. It might be easier for Agnes to handle skating last if the whole skating universe wasn't waiting for her to flop.

Well it doesn't really matter because in the end, there was already tons of pressure on her from being in first.

Besides, we already know that she kind of is a headcase anyways. I also find it funny that Santee would say that, especially when he hasn't even been with her a whole season (when did she even skate last in a competition ever?).

smarts1
01-31-2012, 02:21 AM
Oh, I was hoping that dumping Nichol was a given. I'm sick of her [Nichol's] programs.

Artunian is probably actually a good choice for her, given her need to improve her jumps. REGARDLESS of whether we think it's something in her head or out of her head or has nothing to do with her head or whatever, I hope she also starts seeing a sports psychologist, because she needs to talk to someone.

Well, Nichol did give Mirai that nice Pirates SP, but I agree, Nichol's choreography is not for Mirai. Or maybe it's that Frank's too controlling and he won't let Nichol go out of the box for Mirai. I mean I look at Mirai's gross cuts to her Spartacus LP and then I look at some of Carolina's programs, and I just don't understand how the two could be so different...

Louis
01-31-2012, 03:17 AM
With Alissa, speed depends on the day / program. She can slow down considerably when she gets into "deer in the headlights" mode and starts stalking jumps.

On her bad days, I have seen her skate as slowly as Caroline Zhang or Tuktmyasheva. But on her better days, she is middle of the pack in an international field.

She does tend to maintain good edge quality and strong posture even when she's crawling over the ice. These are big advantages over Wagner, even on Wagner's best days and Czisny's worst.

Nagasu, IMO, has the strongest overall basic skating and is the only U.S. senior lady right now with World Champion-level basics. She can fly over the ice effortlessly and smoothly on her best days. Sigh.....

olympic
01-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Either way, it would benefit Nagasu to leave him IMHO. I think she needs someone that will motivate her, keep her in line, but also encourage her to utilize her strengths.

I was just thinking about Mirai and what type of coach would benefit her because she is a tough one to handle - fragile psyche but petulant at the same time. RA might fill that spot and satisfy both sides of the coin, encouraging her but putting his foot down when he needs to. I can't think of anyone else. I wonder if gender matters - would she perhaps do better with a female coach over a male one?

If she's going to UCI next year, I guess going to the East Coast is out of the question.

victoriaheidi
01-31-2012, 05:51 PM
I was just thinking about Mirai and what type of coach would benefit her because she is a tough one to handle - fragile psyche but petulant at the same time. RA might fill that spot and satisfy both sides of the coin, encouraging her but putting his foot down when he needs to. I can't think of anyone else. I wonder if gender matters - would she perhaps do better with a female coach over a male one?

If she's going to UCI next year, I guess going to the East Coast is out of the question.

I just Googled the distance between the Lake Arrowhead rink and UCI. It's a 75 mile distance. It's a further distance than Arcadia to Lake Arrowhead. As much as I'd like to see Mirai in a better coaching situation, she's digging a hole for herself if she goes to UCI (sadly, it's more of a "when" than an "if"). If she commutes to UCI, too, she's going to have one tough drive after another.

It looks like it's too late for this, but if she wanted to go to UC Riverside, she'd have a shorter commute to the rink-but she'd probably have to live on/near campus.

PDilemma
01-31-2012, 06:34 PM
I just Googled the distance between the Lake Arrowhead rink and UCI. It's a 75 mile distance. It's a further distance than Arcadia to Lake Arrowhead. As much as I'd like to see Mirai in a better coaching situation, she's digging a hole for herself if she goes to UCI (sadly, it's more of a "when" than an "if"). If she commutes to UCI, too, she's going to have one tough drive after another.

It looks like it's too late for this, but if she wanted to go to UC Riverside, she'd have a shorter commute to the rink-but she'd probably have to live on/near campus.

I wonder if she's not going to be doing some online coursework to minimize her time on the campus.

Dilng
01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Mirai doesn't look happy skating. If she isn't happy, then it really doesn't matter who her coach is because she still won't do well. Maybe she should take a year off and go to college. She will either enjoy college and want to continue or she will miss skating so much that she decides to come back. She is young enough that she could take some time off and evaluate her situation. It might be better then continuing to do poorly at competitions and especially Nationals.

victoriaheidi
01-31-2012, 07:11 PM
I wonder if she's not going to be doing some online coursework to minimize her time on the campus.

I don't know if that's an option at the UCs.

iarispiralllyof
01-31-2012, 08:24 PM
I thought most universities offer online courses now. Even the ivy leagues.

On your transcript it doesn't even differentiate them from normal classes. For some kids it's harder because you have to motivate yourself to get the reading and work done.

Bosha
01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Well, Nichol did give Mirai that nice Pirates SP, but I agree, Nichol's choreography is not for Mirai. Or maybe it's that Frank's too controlling and he won't let Nichol go out of the box for Mirai. I mean I look at Mirai's gross cuts to her Spartacus LP and then I look at some of Carolina's programs, and I just don't understand how the two could be so different...

I thought the same thing about Santee's comment; i.e., "Where did that come from?"

Certainly Agnes was already under huge pressure, but I still maintain that Santee's comment may have made it worse. Knowing that everyone knows your weakness and is just waiting for you to crash and burn like in a NASCAR race would add to my hysteria if I were ever in Agnes's place. Ha-ha.

martyross
01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
maybe Mirai Nagasu should find someone that helps her to pour herself into the programs. i mean, not only her cute-funny side.