PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

AliasJohnDoe
01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
I agree Czisny isn't slow. Not super fast like Kostner, but not slow either. She has beautiful effortless stroking.

It's usually the same person/people saying she's slow over and over again. I guess they feel if they repeat something enough, it makes it true. Like trying to blame Czisny for losing the 3rd US ladies Worlds spot in 2009, when it was actually lost the year before in 2008.

I remember Czinsy giving interviews last year before Worlds where she said one of her goals was to help get the third US ladies spot back.

PDilemma
01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Sorry to bring him up in a US ladies thread, but Patrick Chan.

He's the new Kwan...if a thread goes on long enough it will end up being about him. :rolleyes:

RD
01-30-2012, 04:14 PM
I remember Czinsy[sic] giving interviews last year before Worlds where she said one of her goals was to help get the third US ladies spot back.

Yes, I remember this too. Unfortunately with how Flatt did, Alyssa would have had to WIN the event and that was too much to ask obviously.

I dunno, I've sort of lost hope at this point. Czisny is not at the top of her game (although she does have 2 months to try to get it together) and Wagner, well we kinda know the deal already. Sigh...

euterpe
01-30-2012, 04:35 PM
I agree Czisny isn't slow. Not super fast like Kostner, but not slow either. She has beautiful effortless stroking.

When you are at an event live, you see how fast skaters are compared to one another. At Nationals this year, Zawadzki, Wagner and Gracie Gold were the fastest. Czisny and Zhang were among the slowest.

I know you are a big Czisny fan, AJD, but Alissa is slow compared to other skaters.

mag
01-30-2012, 05:08 PM
While I enjoyed Ashley's attack in her free skate and I'm glad she won, I find there is something odd about her forward stroking. I haven't seen her live so it may be a TV thing. I think Nicks has done wonders with her and it would be great if over the off season she could spend some concentrated time with a good ice dance coach. If she could up the level of her stroking I think it would really help the overall package and would probably make the jumps more secure.

museksk8r
01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
On a totally superficial note, Agnes should do away with her hair being sternly pulled back into a bun; the look is way too severe on her given her facial features and the very dark makeup. I really liked her hairstyle last season at Nationals in the LP with the ponytail. She's a youthful, pretty girl and I wish she would go with a more fun, fresh looking hairstyle.

nyskater09
01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
When you are at an event live, you see how fast skaters are compared to one another. At Nationals this year, Zawadzki, Wagner and Gracie Gold were the fastest. Czisny and Zhang were among the slowest.

I know you are a big Czisny fan, AJD, but Alissa is slow compared to other skaters.

I agree 100%. I trained on the same ice with Alissa for many, many years. She is extremely slow, especially going into a jump. Her coaches would always try to skate after her to get her to go faster, but her jumps get wonky when she tries to go faster. I love the speed of Agnes and Kostner. Their power and raw athleticism is what makes me love their skating.

smarts1
01-30-2012, 09:01 PM
No!!! Why are all of the videos gone!?!?!

IceAlisa
01-30-2012, 09:35 PM
I agree 100%. I trained on the same ice with Alissa for many, many years. She is extremely slow, especially going into a jump. Her coaches would always try to skate after her to get her to go faster, but her jumps get wonky when she tries to go faster. I love the speed of Agnes and Kostner. Their power and raw athleticism is what makes me love their skating.

Alissa does slow down for the jump entry but the rest of the time, stroking, etc., she is not slow.

So how far did you get in your training, nyskater09?

nyskater09
01-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Alissa does slow down for the jump entry but the rest of the time, stroking, etc., she is not slow.

So how far did you get in your training, nyskater09?

I competed at the Senior level, but stopped skating because I could not balance school and skating any longer. I have the utmost respect for Rachael Flatt. It is almost impossible to have a difficult major like hers at such a well respected university and find the time to train and stay in tip top skating shape. I know she gets a lot of slack on here, but she's a sweet girl with a really good head on her shoulders.

FSfan107
01-31-2012, 12:12 AM

I'm curious, how was Mirai's speed at Nationals? I've heard in years past that she is a fast skater.

Zawadski looked like she had the purest skating skills to me on the television.

victoriaheidi
01-31-2012, 01:03 AM
On a totally superficial note, Agnes should do away with her hair being sternly pulled back into a bun; the look is way too severe on her given her facial features and the very dark makeup. I really liked her hairstyle last season at Nationals in the LP with the ponytail. She's a youthful, pretty girl and I wish she would go with a more fun, fresh looking hairstyle.

:respec:

Agreed! I didn't really like the look.

sk9tingfan
01-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Ouch on Mirai... Guess she's going to have to go back and think about her coaching situation...

Like some of thought about her pre-nationals interview, she didn't seem confident about nationals...

Or will Frank give her her "walking papers"?

RD
01-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Either way, it would benefit Nagasu to leave him IMHO. I think she needs someone that will motivate her, keep her in line, but also encourage her to utilize her strengths.

Bosha
01-31-2012, 01:33 AM
[QUOTE=museksk8r;3463949]On a totally superficial note, Agnes should do away with her hair being sternly pulled back into a bun; the look is way too severe on her given her facial features and the very dark makeup. I really liked her hairstyle last season at Nationals in the LP with the ponytail. She's a youthful, pretty girl and I wish she would go with a more fun, fresh looking hairstyle.[/QUOTE/]

I didn't like the bun, either. I think that she needs something a little fluffier to frame her face. A body wave might help.