PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

nyskater09
01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
I don't know if any of y'all ever skated, but skating last is always so difficult. To me, it was always the most difficult spot to skate. I did not envy Agnes. She also has never had to deal with that type of pressure before. Agnes is a very powerful skater and if you've ever seen her jumps in person- they're huge and amazing. You want to talk headcase- Alissa is the ultimate headcase. She has too many nerves and doesn't have the strong jumping ability that Gracie, Agnes, Christina, Ashley (sometimes) have. As much as people like grace and flexibility this is still a sport and jumping is a big part of that. My feeling is that she is a huge liability and will possibly implode at Worlds costing us the 3 spots we need. She just doesn't have the "bring it" factor that rachael or ashley have. I really wonder about the 4CC assignments- did she turn it down or did the USFSA not select her because from how Jason Dungjen was talking, he wanted her to go.

Marco
01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Wow. When was the last time the US ladies world team was THIS pretty?

(Probably 2004/5 with Kwan, Cohen and Kirk)

Marco
01-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Wagner: Happy about the deserved win, but the content was a little underwhelming. No 3flip3toe as previously stated, and the 2axel3toe wasn't clean. Still the 2 footing habit. BUT, at least there were no < calls at all which was a huge step for her, and that SE into 3loop would have been +3 in my book. On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised with the performance aspect of her skate. All the little things like a head roll here and a chin up there really added up to create a mood.

Czisny: Much better than her skates at GPF and the send off show, but still much to be improved on. This was another outing where she came back from mistakes earlier on in the program and nailed the rest of the skate. Those 3loops were great. The 3lutz is too much a money jump for her not to be 100% consistent on. If she nailed her triples and 2axel3toe at Worlds I can forgive how utterly boring and empty her programs are this year.

Zawadzki: Bummer about the free but she should be extremely proud of herself for that short. She absolutely earned the medal and trip to 4CCs. She did look much stronger this year.

Zhang: Great competition for her and she also earned her medal and 4CCs trip. A little bummed about not seeing a 3sal which was her most reliable triple bar the loop during her down seasons. Instead she did 2 2axels which were improved from previously but still problematic. Great that she has gotten her 3flip down. Next stop, 2axel.

Gao: She would have medalled if she got the 3sal2toe2loop. Very glad she seemed to have been settled into her body. Next season she needs to find music that does not overwhelm her and does not highlight how introverted and occasionally clumsy she is.

Flatt: It was amazing how she pulled out these performances. But it was clear that her time is over. A similar set of performances last year would have given her the silver, if not the gold.

Nagasu: ...

wickedwitch
01-29-2012, 08:35 PM
wrong thread

mkats
01-29-2012, 09:23 PM
I've a newfound respect for Ashley after reading that quote. I haven't always been able to warm up to her skating because the little that I've seen of her off-ice personality bugs me sometimes, but good on her for admitting that her mistakes may have cost the US a spot. I like that she assumes that responsibility. I wasn't exactly thrilled when Alissa bombed at 2009 Worlds (I don't even think she should've been there, but I won't get into that for the umpteenth time) and didn't even acknowledge that her poor showing didn't help in regaining that 3rd spot.

ITA 100%. I've never been a fan of Ashley before last night, but she completely won me over. Whether or not Alissa deserved to be there in 2009 (and I say this as a fan of hers), I didn't like her response of "it was out of my control" when asked about the 3rd spot.

krenseby
01-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Zhang: Great competition for her and she also earned her medal and 4CCs trip. A little bummed about not seeing a 3sal which was her most reliable triple bar the loop during her down seasons.

I don't think the triple salchow was a successful jump for her ever since she started reworking her jump technique.

RD
01-30-2012, 02:37 AM
True, Czisny seemed to shy away from responsibility for losing that 3rd spot in 2009 and I can understand how some people were turned off by that. I didn't really like it too much myself TBH.

As for Wagner, we shall see. Good of her to point out (admit) that she was on that ill-fated 2008 team though. What she DIDN'T say is that she had the worst finish of the three members...perhaps she feels a need to redeem herself (and the US as well) for that.

orbitz
01-30-2012, 03:26 AM
I hope Peter and Karen can work on making Zhang look faster in her footwork section. I wonder if a little bit of makeup wouldn't also help her overall presence out on the ice.

Polymer Bob
01-30-2012, 03:37 AM
I hate to bring this up .... but what will they do about this?

http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2011/12/20/rachael-flatt-45-feet-tall/

Cheylana
01-30-2012, 03:57 AM
True, Czisny seemed to shy away from responsibility for losing that 3rd spot in 2009 and I can understand how some people were turned off by that. I didn't really like it too much myself TBH.
What did she say that people interpreted as shirking responsibility? I honestly don't remember.

Angela-Fan
01-30-2012, 04:03 AM
:confused: But the 3rd spot was lost in 2008. Alisa didn't lose it, she was just unable to get it back.

Marco
01-30-2012, 04:45 AM
I hope Peter and Karen can work on making Zhang look faster in her footwork section.

With her, I would strongly suggest pre-COP footwork which focuses on speed, coverage and musicality and not on content. So she sacrifices like 1 or 2 points on base value - she can most likely get it back in GOEs and in PCS if she can successfully create an impression of speed and excitment throughout the element.

euterpe
01-30-2012, 04:54 AM
Caroline has always been slow. She is one of the few top US ladies who is slower than Alissa Czisny.

IceAlisa
01-30-2012, 05:50 AM
I saw Alissa live and in no way she is slow. Caroline, yes, definitely slow, especially on the footwork but not Alissa.

edonice
01-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Mirai should be one of the new stars but it's not happening.

Isn't there a way for her to relocated closer to her training center?

I think this is going to be really important for Mirai. Someone as sensitive as she is really needs a routine to keep her on track, and to have the eyes of the same coach on her every day, even if only peripherally.