PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

bek
01-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Like Gracie, the new Russian stars are human. Anything can happen between now and next year. I hope they all step up to the plate but I don't like how some seem to think these youngsters are invincible and will win it all. That's alot to put on the shoulders of a teenager. Mirai has suffered from this imo. Everyone's expectations of hers seems to be higher than other less talented skaters. She did great in 2008 then faltered in 2009. She sparkled in 2010 and has been in a slump since. There's still time for her to get it together although the clock is ticking.

But with talent comes expectations it always does.. Do you think Michelle Kwan didn't have huge expectations. Tara, Kristi etc? All of them did. The expectations on Kim and Asada, who are superstars in their home countries; was simply ridiculous.

But what made all of them champions was that they worked their butt offs because they themselves wanted to live up to those expectations. If you listen to Rafael's interview in the past Asada has an incredible work ethic. As does Kim. As did Michelle, etc.

The issue here with Mirai isn't just about competitive nerves; I suspect because Mirai is more than capable of competiting well. I think the issue pretty much is motivation. I'm sorry but even Mirai and Frank have admitted Mirai has motivation issues.

Once again probably every skater has motivation issues at one time/or another. But for most it take really one wakeup call. Look at Irina who after not making the World team that one year; got her act together/ got in shape and started skating extremely well.

This is the second year in a row Mirai hasn't made the World team; and to be quite frank I have a hard time understanding why her fire wasn't fueled with finishing fourth/ winning the short at Worlds. If that's not a confidence booster/motivation to work hard, what is?

She may get her act together, but I guess the thing I wonder is why hasn't she by now. And may I point out Zhang and Wagner are both around the same age, and both have chosen to get their acts together.

As for the young Russians all of them aren't going to succeed of course not. But I think one or two will; and those who do will be the ones who are motivated to go out and take the opportunities given to them.

yunasashafan
01-29-2012, 05:16 PM
No 4CC for Alissa...smart move on her part! What a great experience for Agnes, it being in Colorado!

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=47717&type=media

That was a bit of a surprise for me, considering her coach's comments in the icenetwork article:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120129&content_id=26502778&vkey=ice_news

It seems as if she wanted to participate... :confused:

Also, how come Vanessa Lam was assigned to Junior Worlds and not Angela Wang, who finished higher at nationals?

Sylvia
01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
It seems as if she [Alissa] wanted to participate... :confused:
Skaters are usually asked if they want to participate in 4CC, etc., but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be assigned by USFS.

Also, how come Vanessa Lam was assigned to Junior Worlds and not Angela Wang, who finished higher at nationals?
Probably because Lam qualified for the JGP Final and only finished one point behind Wang overall. Wang's international experience to date consists of a 4th place finish at a JGP in the fall of 2010.

yunasashafan
01-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Skaters are usually asked if they want to participate in 4CC, etc., but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be assigned by USFS.

Probably because Lam qualified for the JGP Final and only finished one point behind Wang overall. Wang's international experience to date consists of a 4th place finish at a JGP in the fall of 2010.

Thanks Sylvia. It makes sense with Vanessa's JGP final finish. I was just so impressed with Angela's performance, especially the free skate.

Marco
01-29-2012, 05:34 PM
re: Czisny not going to 4CCs

I don't know about that. Without Kostner and the Russians, this might have been her best opportunity to earn a medal at an ISU championship.

If she gets enough rest and training, she may very much accomplish that at Worlds. ;)

Marco
01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I can't believe michelle gave ashley her hall of fame trophy......ashley's favorite skater is tara lipinski :eek::blah::yikes:

Would have been neat if she gave it to Nagasu.

berthesghost
01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't understand why team csizny would want 4cc, she'd have a lot to lose and not much to gain by going. Perhaps they saw the light.

iarispiralllyof
01-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Would have been neat if she gave it to Nagasu.

i think i might have misunderstood what some ppl were saying online. i think michelle handed ashley the champions trophy..not her hall of fame trophy AHAHA

smarts1
01-29-2012, 06:56 PM
We don't know how the Russian girls will do, but they have enough really good girls that one or two is going to break through. Polina K just did a 7 triple program with a 3flip/3toe in qualifying and the long program at Europeans. Now she had trouble with her short program, but given how good her jump technique is I think its a matter of time before she sorts that out. And she's a lovely balletic skater reminiscent of Alissa. She continues to skate well; her PCS are going to skyrocket. I think she could end up on the world podium, if she has a clean short.

I think that Adelina, Tukt, Polina K, and Julia all have the talent to be World and Olympic champions. And they have other young girls who they can place after Sochi too. Its just a really good position to be in if your the Russian Federation. Not to mention having to compete against each other is going to weed out the headcases.

Mirai has that talent too, but has that fully come to fruition? No. You just never know what will happen to these skaters when they get older. I just want Mirai to get it together one of these days, and a sport psychologist will definitely help in that department (since it really says a lot when you fall on a double loop). She and all of us knew that if she was pacing for Sochi, this absolutely had to have been her season, but she blew it.

At least we have Gracie coming up and some other skaters are getting stronger.

love_skate2011
01-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Im still hopeful about Mirai
as others have pointed out its not over until its over, there is still 2 years time and she is only 18 yrs. old

there are other potential us skaters
other than Gold, there is Ashley and if Agnes and Hannah if they continue to improve. they need new blood once Alissa retires and stay competitive

bek
01-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Mirai has that talent too, but has that fully come to fruition? No. You just never know what will happen to these skaters when they get older. I just want Mirai to get it together one of these days, and a sport psychologist will definitely help in that department (since it really says a lot when you fall on a double loop). She and all of us knew that if she was pacing for Sochi, this absolutely had to have been her season, but she blew it.

At least we have Gracie coming up and some other skaters are getting stronger.

Of course its hard to know with the young skaters. But the Russian's biggest strength is they have a number of girls who can jump. They aren't relying on one girl to be the magic bullet.

The fact that they have a number of good jumpers who can place well means; they can weed out the headcases. Looking at the talent of Julia, Polina K, Adelina, and Tukt. These girls might find making the Russian Olympic team; harder than actually making the podium at Sochi. Whoever comes out in Russia is likely going to be a tough competitor.

smarts1
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
That's a really nice quote from Ashley about getting 3 spots back. That will go over well with sportswriters, too. I can remember even the "nice" writers like Helene Elliot and Jo-Anne Barnes were really put off by the way Alissa dealt with that topic.

That said, I haven't looked at the protocols, but it appeared she two footed more than one triple last night. I think I saw three 2ft landings. She needs to realize that at 4ccs, it's far better to rotate to a one foot landing and fall than to have any more 2fts at this point. She needs to get the perception of her as the "US Skater with bad triples" out of the judges minds. They won't be fooled by the scores from Nationals, they'll see the tape.

Caroline - so happy for her that she'll get some funding and a trip to 4CCs. She does still have a lot of work to do, but great to get some rewards and validation along the way! Now, if only someone could see that she's properly dressed in Colorado Springs, please! Even Mira Leung was appalled :)

Mirai, Mirai, Mirai...find something that makes you happy. (When I was typing that, I first wrote "happen" instead of happy. Freudian slip? ha!)

Ashley slightly double footed two jumps (very slightly and the protocols do reflect that)--the triple toe and the second loop. The landing on the last flip was a little weird, but it was clean. I'd say that her performance at Skate Canada was probably a little better (minus the second lutz she did in Canada) though.

mrinalini
01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Congrats to Ashley even though I'm still not a big fan of her programs this year. I do like what she said in the icenetwork article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120129&content_id=26502778&vkey=ice_news):

Ashley is showing leadership quality as the U.S. #1 lady, something that Alyssa refused to do.

I've a newfound respect for Ashley after reading that quote. I haven't always been able to warm up to her skating because the little that I've seen of her off-ice personality bugs me sometimes, but good on her for admitting that her mistakes may have cost the US a spot. I like that she assumes that responsibility. I wasn't exactly thrilled when Alissa bombed at 2009 Worlds (I don't even think she should've been there, but I won't get into that for the umpteenth time) and didn't even acknowledge that her poor showing didn't help in regaining that 3rd spot.

mag
01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
... or Agnes if she keeps developing and gets over her apparent problem with nerves. ...

Give me a break! This was Agnes' second trip to Nationals and she did a great job. Skating last after placing first in the short was enormous pressure and she should be proud of her accomplishments. Let's not buy trouble that isn't there.

smarts1
01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
^ As well as she did, you have to admit Agnes is somewhat of a headcase. Her coach even admitted that he knew Agnes was going to mess up.