PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sasha'sSpins
01-29-2012, 07:50 AM
First off, congrats to Wagner and good for her for backing up the talk.

Second, congrats to Zhang for a comeback few thought was possible.

Flatt went out there and did herself proud- even though she finished only 6th after being in the top 2 four years in a row, after what she's been through...and realizing it could have been much worse the way she's been skating.

Zawadzki- well, this is a good learning experience for her but she has what it takes and I hope she does not get discouraged by what happened tonight. If anything, it's a triumph for her...she made herself known by that SP on Thursday night, and it's a real tough position to a) be the leader after the SP and b) to skate last. At least I hope she gets a Four Continents trip out of it.

Gao- good to finally see her get stronger and lose some of that shyness I saw earlier.

Czisny- despite the shaky FS, she hung on and didn't let the mistakes derail the performance and that's critical. The ability to fight for every point is the cornerstone of this system. That said, she's going to need to find those jumps pretty soon if she wants to contend for a world medal. This is probably her best shot at one! She needs to shake off tonight, rest up a bit and train for worlds. I don't think she needs to go to 4CC but I'm hearing she'll go anyway.

Nagasu- oh man. What to say, what to do? She looked completely distracted and that's unfortunate. I really think it's a combination of mental issues and being undertrained- her training situation just isn't working out for her and I think ultimately she'll need to leave Carroll and find a more consistent training regimen. The status quo just isn't working...and it would be ultimate shame if this is how her career ends...

I agree on all points. Especially Mirai-she's got to do something about her coaching situation, like several here have noted already it is not ideal that she is using up 4 hours a day getting to, and from rinks, playing musical chairs with rinks, etc. Somehow, some way she's got to find her center and FOCUS.

The other girls were a bit up and down, the nerves showed but I think ultimately the placements were mostly correct.

iarispiralllyof
01-29-2012, 07:52 AM
can anyone tell me which version of libertango did gao skate to?I mean which orchestra and such..I LOVE it

UGG
01-29-2012, 12:47 PM
I was really happy for Caroline Zhang. The hype a few years ago just really turned me off to her (I know that is horrible, but whatever) so I have never been really much of a fan. as her skating got worse, I just felt so bad for her and honestly thought she was done. She has worked really really hard and should be very proud of herself. I hope she keeps improving-if she can get that far in three years I am interested to see what level she is at in 2014. Guess I am a fan now-I cannot help but cheer for the fighters!

Never a Rachel fan either but I did get a little choked up at the end of her program because of how happy she looked. Good for her-I thought she was doomed as well.

And good job for Ashley for finally backing up all her talk. I knew she was going to win the long program-she just looked so fit and confident. Her LP was exciting to watch.

And glad Alissa made the world team for a second year in a row. hopefully she can get on the world podium which i think is possible if she can skate clean. Not sure Ashley has a chance but you never know-stranger things have happened in the ladies competition!

Jammers
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM
It's not a good sign that halfway to Sochi that our top skaters are holdovers from the last Olympics except for Agnes. Where are the new stars replacing these mediocre skaters who haven't gotten it done internationally for the last 4-5 years? Next year will be do or die for US skating heading into Sochi. I hope Gracie has some big shoulders to handle the pressure that will be building.

orbitz
01-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Congrats to Ashley even though I'm still not a big fan of her programs this year. I do like what she said in the icenetwork article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120129&content_id=26502778&vkey=ice_news):

"I think it's crucial we gain back three spots at worlds this season," she said. "I was on the [2008] team that lost the spot. I really would like to be on the team that gains that spot back. I think it would be nice to tie that back up and correct my mistakes."

Ashley is showing leadership quality as the U.S. #1 lady, something that Alyssa refused to do.

smarts1
01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
It's not a good sign that halfway to Sochi that our top skaters are holdovers from the last Olympics except for Agnes. Where are the new stars replacing these mediocre skaters who haven't gotten it done internationally for the last 4-5 years? Next year will be do or die for US skating heading into Sochi. I hope Gracie has some big shoulders to handle the pressure that will be building.

Well, the ones from 2010 were (and still are) all very young besides Alissa. I think that sometimes Mirai and Caroline are in their 20s, but they're only 18! So I don't think it's odd at all.

I think the biggest question is what will happen with Mirai...

smarts1
01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
And who's Angela Wang!?! I think she was another big surprise of the night.

HSGP21
01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
No 4CC for Alissa...smart move on her part! What a great experience for Agnes, it being in Colorado!

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=47717&type=media

Jammers
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Well, the ones from 2010 were (and still are) all very young besides Alissa. I think that sometimes Mirai and Caroline are in their 20s, but they're only 18! So I don't think it's odd at all.

I think the biggest question is what will happen with Mirai...

Yes the holdovers from 2010 were young but most of them are not getting any better. At least not good enough. They have some good competitions but are not reliable and even at their best i don't see them being on top of World podiums. After this year it all changes with the Russian girls coming up to Seniors.

smarts1
01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
No 4CC for Alissa...smart move on her part! What a great experience for Agnes, it being in Colorado!

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=47717&type=media

Interesting alternate placements...

smarts1
01-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes the holdovers from 2010 were young but most of them are not getting any better. At least not good enough. They have some good competitions but are not reliable and even at their best i don't see them being on top of World podiums. After this year it all changes with the Russian girls coming up to Seniors.

We don't know how the Russian girls will do once they fully come up to seniors. Liza is doing fine, but Russian nationals was not good for her and neither was the Grand Prix Final (to a certain extent). Adelina has struggled a lot this season on the Grand Prix.

And I don't know how you say the US ladies haven't got much better. Caroline overhauled all of her jumping technique and she now has another pewter medal to show for it. Ashley is getting more consistent and confident on her jumping ability. Alissa reestablished herself last year after having some disastrous performances in the past. The only skaters who have stagnated are Christina, Mirai (if we can be as nice as calling it "stagnated" as opposed to falling behind), and Agnes (who is another heacase). Of course, you might not be happy with the improvements some of these skaters have made, but they have made visible improvements nonetheless.

olympic
01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
We don't know how the Russian girls will do once they fully come up to seniors. Liza is doing fine, but Russian nationals was not good for her and neither was the Grand Prix Final (to a certain extent). Adelina has struggled a lot this season on the Grand Prix.

And I don't know how you say the US ladies haven't got much better. Caroline overhauled all of her jumping technique and she now has another pewter medal to show for it. Ashley is getting more consistent and confident on her jumping ability. Alissa reestablished herself last year after having some disastrous performances in the past. The only skaters who have stagnated are Christina, Mirai (if we can be as nice as calling it "stagnated" as opposed to falling behind), and Agnes (who is another heacase). Of course, you might not be happy with the improvements some of these skaters have made, but they have made visible improvements nonetheless.

Gao is not my favorite US lady, but I'm thrilled (and so was she) with how she performed here and it was a HUGE step up from the GP series, so I don't think she's stagnated. On the contrary, she's overcome problems (injury) and leaped forward.

smarts1
01-29-2012, 02:57 PM
^ Good point. Looking at the placements though, you would have never guessed (since she's placed 5th for three seasons now).

iarispiralllyof
01-29-2012, 02:58 PM
I can't believe michelle gave ashley her hall of fame trophy......ashley's favorite skater is tara lipinski :eek::blah::yikes:

I was VERY pleasantly surprised with caroline's improvement. she also doesn't look like a 5 year old anymore!

smarts1
01-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Well Tara was Ashley's mentor, so what else is she supposed to say. Besides, someone's preferences shouldn't matter. Michelle was being gracious.