PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Sasha'sSpins
01-26-2012, 05:58 PM
I caught the afternoon Senior Ladies' practice session today and took notes on their program run-throughs.

If you're interested, I posted them here: http://edonice.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/us-nationals-ladies-practice-notes/

Overall, the ladies looked good!

Thanks! It's very much appreciated! :respec:

2 more pre-Nationals articles...

Alissa Czisny article (with Kween references) by Jo-Ann Barnas of the Detroit Free Press: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/story/2012-01-25/alissa-czisny-connection-michelle-kwan/52790094/1

Orange County Register article on Ashley Wagner: http://www.ocregister.com/sports/wagner-337436-women-skating.html

Thanks for all the links Sylvia! :respec:

I was a little worried bout Mirai and Alissa too skating so early but it's true it would have perhaps been more concerning under 6.0 (although that didn't hurt Sasha Cohen or Sarah Hughes at the 2002 Olympics-they were 3rd and 4th after the SP). Hopefully Mirai and Alissa will be focused and on their A game without too much time to think.

olympic
01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
And, you're welcome! I hope my notes were helpful!

Very helpful! It was interesting to read a PBP practice report! You and IceAlisa (and anyone else) are providing great POV's,

olympic
01-26-2012, 06:57 PM
2 pre-Nationals articles on Rachael Flatt...

San Francisco Chronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/25/SP4D1MUD1B.DTL

Denver Post: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19823557

On top of everything else, Rachael has a cold? :yikes:

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Rachael Flatt apologized for the cough. Her head and chest were stuffed up. Her nose ran. Her ears were full.

"Fortunately, makeup is covering up how awful I look," she said with a laugh.

Trying to win her second national title with a bad cold will be the least of her adjustments, ....

mgobluegirl
01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
IIRC, Mirai skated early last year and won the short. I don't think her (or Alissa's) skating order is anything to worry about.

RockTheTassel
01-27-2012, 01:48 AM
I remember Rachael skating third and Mirai skating shortly after her at the 2010 nationals SP. It didn't affect their scores.

change of edge
01-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Yeah I don't think it should affect the scores either. The judging panel is constant throughout the evening. So if a judge gives Mirai a 8.00 for presentation, he will remember that as his standard for the rest of the skaters and should give them score accordingly.

Sasha'sSpins
01-27-2012, 03:16 AM
On top of everything else, Rachael has a cold? :yikes:

Yeah that's not good-a bad cold can affect one's balance.

The articles on Rachael were both good except I didn't like how the second one once again started going into Rachael's A's and how she's 'finally got a B'.

Good grief. :rolleyes:

shan
01-27-2012, 04:46 AM
(((Rachael))) What a bad time to be sick!

I posted this tweet from Sarah and Drew in the Gracie Gold thread. But I think it fits here as well.

SarahandDrew Sarah and Drew
At presser, Pat St. Peter said Gracie Gold will be considered for World and 4CC teams.

https://twitter.com/#!/search/SarahandDrew%20

semogal
01-27-2012, 05:16 AM
(((Rachael))) What a bad time to be sick!

I posted this tweet from Sarah and Drew in the Gracie Gold thread. But I think it fits here as well.

https://twitter.com/#!/search/SarahandDrew%20

This just reeks of desperation to me. Why don't they just beg Michelle to come back and lasso the precious 3rd spot? Gracie Gold has a bright future but it is not fair to her to have her first senior be Worlds nor is it fair to the current senior ladies that are duking it out this week. I for one will be extremely ticked if this happens.

Jammers
01-27-2012, 06:46 AM
I don't think it's going to happen. It's almost like they did it on purpose to give some incentive to the Senior girls to bring it tonight by threatening to send Gracie to Worlds. And it worked. I saw fire tonight in these girls that i haven't seen in a long time.

Sasha'sSpins
01-27-2012, 06:57 AM
This just reeks of desperation to me. Why don't they just beg Michelle to come back and lasso the precious 3rd spot? Gracie Gold has a bright future but it is not fair to her to have her first senior be Worlds nor is it fair to the current senior ladies that are duking it out this week. I for one will be extremely ticked if this happens.

So would I to some extent-but I so badly want those 3 spots back for the U.S. especially for the Olympics!

bek
01-27-2012, 07:02 AM
So would I to some extent-but I so badly want those 3 spots back for the U.S. especially for the Olympics!

But whose to say Gracie would skate this well in the pressure of the Senior lights. Look how Sotnikova is struggling a bit. Junior level and Senior level is much harder competition. Not to mention Gracie didn't have much competition here.

I'm not sure how this is fair to lets say Agnes. Agnes has a lot of Gracie's best qualities (with better presentation/spins) Agnes has been inconsistent but then again has been competiting as a Senior, in much higher level with more pressure.

RD
01-27-2012, 07:09 AM
It's almost like they did it on purpose to give some incentive to the Senior girls to bring it tonight by threatening to send Gracie to Worlds. And it worked. I saw fire tonight in these girls that i haven't seen in a long time.

Yup...but then again, it's the short program. let's see if they'll bring the same fire to the freeskate as well.

Sasha'sSpins
01-27-2012, 07:47 AM
But whose to say Gracie would skate this well in the pressure of the Senior lights. Look how Sotnikova is struggling a bit. Junior level and Senior level is much harder competition. Not to mention Gracie didn't have much competition here.

I'm not sure how this is fair to lets say Agnes. Agnes has a lot of Gracie's best qualities (with better presentation/spins) Agnes has been inconsistent but then again has been competiting as a Senior, in much higher level with more pressure.

Obviously there's no way of knowing. True Adelina struggled a little bit but Elizaveta did amazing.

I don't think it would be fair if they sent Gracie (much as I like her!). I believe the top two Seniors should go to Worlds and the next 3 should be given the opportunity to go to 4CCs. I thought that's what Senior Nationals were for-to determine those slots.

And Sasha-again. :D

smarts1
01-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Really surprised by Agnes... Where was that during the Grand Prixs!?!?!? And great job to Ashley for skating a clean short!