PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

smarts1
01-26-2012, 02:44 AM
What has happened to Phil Hersh? Guess he's read lots of complaints on FSU about his articles in the past...

RD
01-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Again, I have to admire Nagasu's honesty/candor in these interviews. Not everyone would be willing to admit that to the masses.

But I said from the beginning that Nagasu came across as a very emotional person who lets her emotions drive her skating. I did not need this article to realize that, although one can never know with 100% certainty without confirmation from those who actually know her, or hearing it directly from her.

Sasha'sSpins
01-26-2012, 05:39 AM
What rivalry? ;) I still get an upset stomach when Mirai skates.
Same here. I'm only half-kidding about the Pepto Bismol. ;) If Good Mirai shows up it'll be grand but if BAD Mirai shows up :yikes: Same with Alissa. :slinkaway

Start orders for the ladies' SP are up. Nagasu skates early- she's 2nd as a matter of fact. Czisny is also in the 1st group (5th). Wagner and Flatt skate much later- they are 14th and 15th, respectively.

Wow. Not sure if that's good or bad for Mirai or Alissa for that matter. Excellent draw for Ashley and Rachael methinks. They can see how Nagasu and Czisny do then strategize.

I think Frank Carroll pretty much summed up how I feel about Mirai. :lol:

On the other hand, training with Frank only 2 days a week and Mirai having instances of training on her own is troublesome to read. Especially for someone who admits to having difficulty concentrating on the job at hand. I hope the majority of the time she isn't training with Frank she is in fact training with Arutunian and/or with Galina Barinova.

I agree-just two days a week for an elite athlete-who allegedly has self-discipline issues-with her primary coach? It's concerning. Not optimum at all. I hope she can move closer to Frank's rink at least in the next couple of years leading up to the Olympics.

Good read but I don't like the title of Hersh's article. I'm superstitious. I hope it doesn't jinx Mirai. :wideeyes:

I've decided against Pepto Bismol after all. I'm going to do my darndest to sit back and enjoy this. I'm going to sip Amaretto Sours, and nibble on some expensive cheese, chocolates-and Doritos. :summer:

I'll sweat it all off easily as each of my 3 fave girls, Mirai, Alissa, and Ashley step on to the ice tomorrow and Saturday. :D

Jammers
01-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Sounds to me like a lot of Mirai's problems with self confidence come from her parents.

Sylvia
01-26-2012, 07:44 AM
2 more pre-Nationals articles...

Alissa Czisny article (with Kween references) by Jo-Ann Barnas of the Detroit Free Press: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/story/2012-01-25/alissa-czisny-connection-michelle-kwan/52790094/1

Orange County Register article on Ashley Wagner: http://www.ocregister.com/sports/wagner-337436-women-skating.html

edonice
01-26-2012, 09:51 AM
I caught the afternoon Senior Ladies' practice session today and took notes on their program run-throughs.

If you're interested, I posted them here: http://edonice.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/us-nationals-ladies-practice-notes/

Overall, the ladies looked good!

olympic
01-26-2012, 12:42 PM
I caught the afternoon Senior Ladies' practice session today and took notes on their program run-throughs.

If you're interested, I posted them here: http://edonice.wordpress.com/2012/01/26/us-nationals-ladies-practice-notes/

Overall, the ladies looked good!

THANK YOU!

Interesting that you say Agnes was fast - many posters say that she's slow. Did you want to elaborate on that [perhaps she appears faster in person] ?

Jammers
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
That's insane that someone like Mirai has to skate 2nd overall I figured the first two groups of girls are the ones down in the rankings and the last two groups are the ones higher up in the rankings and that each group then has a blind draw.

kwanatic
01-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Well, both Mirai and Alissa skated relatively early last time and both of their scores held up. It's not like 6.0 where you have to leave room. Besides, the judges know that Mirai and Alissa are the top two prospects of this competition, so if both of them skate well they will be in the top 3 and in that final group.

I think it's good for Mirai. Less chance for her to let her mind wander and start freaking out. She'll warm-up, get a few minutes to catch her breath and then skate.

Jammers
01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
True the less time Mirai has to freak out the better.

Sylvia
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM
2 pre-Nationals articles on Rachael Flatt...

San Francisco Chronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/25/SP4D1MUD1B.DTL

Denver Post: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19823557

gkelly
01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
That's insane that someone like Mirai has to skate 2nd overall I figured the first two groups of girls are the ones down in the rankings and the last two groups are the ones higher up in the rankings and that each group then has a blind draw.

In the old days (1973-1990 seasons), the short program draw was seeded by figures placement. I don't know the exact details, which may have varied during that period depending on the size of the field, international vs. national events, which year we're talking about.

Starting in 1991 season, the SP draw was almost always completely random with no seeding. There was seeding at the 1994 Olympics and at 21st century Olympics.

More recently the ISU has seeded the SP draw at ISU championships and later at Grand Prix events to make them more attractive for television to cover live.

So far USFS has never seeded the SP draw. And I don't think that SPs have ever been broadcast live. Occasionally, back when they were on ESPN, with a delay of only a couple hours.

They have added rules to give tighter control of the LP skate order (not to mention the LP schedule!) at the request of TV networks.

edonice
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
THANK YOU!

Interesting that you say Agnes was fast - many posters say that she's slow. Did you want to elaborate on that [perhaps she appears faster in person] ?

She really was fast. I think she's so tall (she appeared about twice the size of Yasmin Siraj) that she covers the ice very easily, and the tentative look she had in the fall can make her look slower on TV than she is.

edonice
01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
THANK YOU!

And, you're welcome! I hope my notes were helpful!

Chris_E
01-26-2012, 05:45 PM
And, you're welcome! I hope my notes were helpful!

Very helpful, thanks! Good to hear that most of the ladies are skating pretty well, hopefully it turns into a great competition!