PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

her grace
01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Cesario is still eligible for juniors next season; her 19th birthday is after the July 1 cutoff.

Who knows what USFS will do with her situation. A lot depends on what happens this week at nationals, which level Cesario chooses to skate at next season, and how summer monitoring goes. If a lot of the younger skaters, e.g., Keiser, Wang, Jiang, Miller, Long, Bell etc. do well at nationals, there may not be a lot of JGP spots available, but there should be room for Cesario at Senior Bs. And maybe even Skate America if she impresses in summer monitoring.

gkelly
01-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Cesario is still eligible for juniors next season; her 19th birthday is after the July 1 cutoff.

Who knows what USFS will do with her situation. A lot depends on what happens this week at nationals, which level Cesario chooses to skate at next season, and how summer monitoring goes.

She doesn't have a choice about what level to skate at domestically next season -- she's passed the senior test, her only option is to skate senior.

Internationally, I'm not sure it's her choice either. Without having skated at Nationals she probably wouldn't even be given an opportunity to state a preference. If she does well at summer competitions USFS could assign her to JGP or senior B depending where they have spots available, or if her JGP results this year leave her high enough on the season's best list she could get invited to one or more GP events. But since none of those possibilities are guaranteed, I'm sure she'd accept whatever she's offered. (Or not, if she prefers not compete internationally next fall.) But she wouldn't be in a position to turn down a senior international assignment in favor of a junior one or vice versa.

Jenna
01-23-2012, 08:42 PM
People keep forgetting that Gracie hadn't done enough to earn a full run of the JGP. Lucky for her she made the best of her one event, so if she does well at jr. nationals and decides to make the jump to senior, she'll probably get two assignments. Samantha had decent showings in her events (didn't she have two?).

Well, that's your opinion. I think she did more than enough in the off season to merit two assignments (as long as her first one was successful).

PDilemma
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Well, that's your opinion. I think she did more than enough in the off season to merit two assignments (as long as her first one was successful).

Doesn't the selection criteria give heavy weight to Nationals, though? Gracie failed to make Nationals last year.

Marco
01-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Noooooooooooooo! :( I wonder what happened. I know she has been dealing with multiple nagging injuries for awhile, but it seemed like the strength training approach had been working so well. With how poorly the other ladies have been skating, I thought Cesario had a real shot at top 6, maybe higher.

Fifteen gazillion times depression.

I was rooting for her to make 4CCs! :(:(:(

her grace
01-23-2012, 08:55 PM
She doesn't have a choice about what level to skate at domestically next season -- she's passed the senior test, her only option is to skate senior.

Correct. I was talking about her international status.

Internationally, I'm not sure it's her choice either. Without having skated at Nationals she probably wouldn't even be given an opportunity to state a preference.

Maybe. But she wasn't at nationals last year either, and she indicated in an ice network article after a summer competition that she intended to remain junior internationally. It appears that USFS either took her preference into account or their preferences happened to coincide. She will still be in a team envelope next season. Perhaps USFS asks its envelope athletes what they hope to do?

Jenna
01-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Doesn't the selection criteria give heavy weight to Nationals, though? Gracie failed to make Nationals last year.

Yes, it does. But I am of the belief that the current selection criteria is heavily flawed.

Sylvia
01-23-2012, 10:19 PM
She [Cesario] will still be in a team envelope next season. Perhaps USFS asks its envelope athletes what they hope to do?
That is my understanding, yes. And fortunately Cesario's JGP bronze medals will qualify her for Team C envelope funding next season.

Jarrett
01-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Yes, it does. But I am of the belief that the current selection criteria is heavily flawed.

What would be the point of Nationals then?

Triple Butz
01-23-2012, 11:03 PM
What would be the point of Nationals then?

I don't think anyone is saying jr nationals shouldn't count for anything. It should most definitely be considered when it comes to the selection of jr worlds and even the jgp. But, we have to be realistic when looking at juniors who still have developing bodies and are still finding their jumps. Their performance levels are much more likely to have drastic changes than what you would see in seniors. Bottom line is, it has to be a case-by-case decision, but when you have a girl like Gold who is outjumping all of the current us senior women consistently in competition, I think she deserves the spots more than another girl who had a decent finish in juniors the previous year with mediocre skates. With cop, comparing scores can usually tell the story.

kwanatic
01-24-2012, 01:36 PM

Well that's your opinion, but the point is because she failed to qualify at sectionals, she didn't even make it to nationals last year. That meant she was lower in the selection pool when it came to JGP assignments this season. Being that she didn't even go to nationals, if they assigned her two JGP events they'd be doing it purely on benefit of the doubt...and that's just all kinds of unfair, especially to the people who competed and earned those spots.

Now that she's proven herself as a good prospect, chances are she'll get two assignments on the JGP next year; or if she decides to move up to seniors, she'll be in a better position.

kwanatic
01-24-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't think anyone is saying jr nationals shouldn't count for anything. It should most definitely be considered when it comes to the selection of jr worlds and even the jgp. But, we have to be realistic when looking at juniors who still have developing bodies and are still finding their jumps. Their performance levels are much more likely to have drastic changes than what you would see in seniors. Bottom line is, it has to be a case-by-case decision, but when you have a girl like Gold who is outjumping all of the current us senior women consistently in competition, I think she deserves the spots more than another girl who had a decent finish in juniors the previous year with mediocre skates. With cop, comparing scores can usually tell the story.

They can't/shouldn't do case by case decisions. That kind of criteria just screams bias/unfair selection. That's basically telling certain skaters "we're not going to even let you try to compete because So-and-So here has better jumps despite the fact you qualified for a spot here and she didn't. So even though we're basing it purely on what we think she can do, we're going to give her your assignment and just hope she kicks ass and makes us look good."

It may be better to have scoring play a part in the decision, but ultimately it should come down to placements in the major competitions when the pressure is on. That's about as fair as you can get...

bek
01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
They can't/shouldn't do case by case decisions. That kind of criteria just screams bias/unfair selection. That's basically telling certain skaters "we're not going to even let you try to compete because So-and-So here has better jumps despite the fact you qualified for a spot here and she didn't. So even though we're basing it purely on what we think she can do, we're going to give her your assignment and just hope she kicks ass and makes us look good."

It may be better to have scoring play a part in the decision, but ultimately it should come down to placements in the major competitions when the pressure is on. That's about as fair as you can get...

But the selection process to nationals isn't fair. Some sectionals are as easy as pie to get into and others are very tough. You have some skaters who would make it easily if they were in an easier section..

Using nationals only would be fair if everyone had the same shot at getting into Nationals. But its not the case.

Sylvia
01-24-2012, 02:37 PM
OT but maybe USFS should consider the possibility/logistics of holding ONE Sectional Championship to qualify for Nationals, like Canada's Challenge?

Back on topic... good to see Gracie Gold skate a clean SP last night! It was an enjoyable Junior Ladies event, I thought.

Skittl1321
01-24-2012, 02:37 PM
But the selection process to nationals isn't fair. Some sectionals are as easy as pie to get into and others are very tough. You have some skaters who would make it easily if they were in an easier section..

I don't understand how this isn't brought up every year at governing council. The regional/sectional process is so unfair. How are athletes, coaches, and clubs not complaining left and right?