PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

smarts1
01-22-2012, 02:03 AM
^ Harvard early decisions were out a month ago and regular decisions come out in April... Do you mean she got a likely letter?

The Fly On The Wall
01-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Will we have another young lady trying to balance school and skating? :( Congratulations to Christina on her admission!

olifaunt
01-22-2012, 04:47 AM
This might be more rumor than news, but it looks like Christina Gao got into Harvard. If so, congrats to her!

Where did you hear that? Good for her!

change of edge
01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
read it somewhere online. I'm sure if she wanted people to know she would tell US Figure Skating so that the commentators would be sure to mention it during her programs just like they did with Flatt. haha. But if its true that's fantastic for her.

Speaking of juggling college with skating, looks like Mirai is going to be doing the same since she's going to UCI next year right? If so, this nationals might be her last legitimate shot at the title (especially with all the young talent), so I'm really hoping it goes well for her!

Jenna
01-22-2012, 08:58 PM
It appears as though Cesario is out of ladies event (again). :(

From Sylvia on Twitter:

Sad for Cesario's 2nd WD in 2 years. :( RT @ElliottAlmond Aimee Buchanan has replaced Samantha Cesario in senior ladies competition. #SJ2012

Sasha'sSpins
01-22-2012, 09:53 PM
read it somewhere online. I'm sure if she wanted people to know she would tell US Figure Skating so that the commentators would be sure to mention it during her programs just like they did with Flatt. haha. But if its true that's fantastic for her.

Speaking of juggling college with skating, looks like Mirai is going to be doing the same since she's going to UCI next year right? If so, this nationals might be her last legitimate shot at the title (especially with all the young talent), so I'm really hoping it goes well for her!

I doubt it. Mirai imo will be a contender come the Sochi Olympics.

Louis
01-23-2012, 02:55 AM
It appears as though Cesario is out of ladies event (again). :(

Noooooooooooooo! :( I wonder what happened. I know she has been dealing with multiple nagging injuries for awhile, but it seemed like the strength training approach had been working so well. With how poorly the other ladies have been skating, I thought Cesario had a real shot at top 6, maybe higher.

Fifteen gazillion times depression.

Jenna
01-23-2012, 02:59 AM
I know...this is absolutely depressing. She has aged out of the JGP and without being present here...it doesn't bode well for fall assignments. I hope she can, once again, recover (if she is indeed injured), kick ass at Liberty, and possibly get a GP assignment or a Senior B.

Triple Butz
01-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Noooooooooooooo! :( I wonder what happened. I know she has been dealing with multiple nagging injuries for awhile, but it seemed like the strength training approach had been working so well. With how poorly the other ladies have been skating, I thought Cesario had a real shot at top 6, maybe higher.

Fifteen gazillion times depression.

I really thought she had an outside medal shot. She's improved so much this season...her jumps are ginormous now! How totally unfortunate...I don't think she's done nearly enough to get a GP invite next season which is a real pity because I think she would have done better on the senior GP this year than all of Zawadzki, Gao, and Flatt. Couple this with the USFS basically locking her and Gold out of the JGPF...What. A. Bummer :( :( :(

Coco
01-23-2012, 04:38 AM
They really have to give her a senior B. I think the US has 2 spots at Nebelhorn in '12-'13.

Jenna
01-23-2012, 05:39 AM
I really thought she had an outside medal shot. She's improved so much this season...her jumps are ginormous now! How totally unfortunate...I don't think she's done nearly enough to get a GP invite next season which is a real pity because I think she would have done better on the senior GP this year than all of Zawadzki, Gao, and Flatt. Couple this with the USFS basically locking her and Gold out of the JGPF...What. A. Bummer :( :( :(

It irked me to no end that USFS hadn't assigned Gracie throughout the ENTIRE series until the very last event and single-handedly SHUT OUT Cesario from the final.

Don't they think!? Gold should have been assigned in the very, very beginning or not at all. :mad:

BigB08822
01-23-2012, 06:42 AM
USFS made some truly idiotic decisions for the junior girls this season, didn't they? What do you think happened? Some secret agenda or pure stupidity?

kwanatic
01-23-2012, 02:04 PM
It irked me to no end that USFS hadn't assigned Gracie throughout the ENTIRE series until the very last event and single-handedly SHUT OUT Cesario from the final.

Don't they think!? Gold should have been assigned in the very, very beginning or not at all. :mad:

People keep forgetting that Gracie hadn't done enough to earn a full run of the JGP. Lucky for her she made the best of her one event, so if she does well at jr. nationals and decides to make the jump to senior, she'll probably get two assignments. Samantha had decent showings in her events (didn't she have two?).

Sylvia
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Here's an article about Nina Jiang in her hometown Houston paper: http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/sugar_land/sports/figure-skating-missouri-city-girl-steps-on-to-sport-s/article_67ed372a-43af-11e1-9490-001871e3ce6c.html

Triple Butz
01-23-2012, 05:31 PM
People keep forgetting that Gracie hadn't done enough to earn a full run of the JGP. Lucky for her she made the best of her one event, so if she does well at jr. nationals and decides to make the jump to senior, she'll probably get two assignments. Samantha had decent showings in her events (didn't she have two?).

I think the general consensus is that the USFSA should change the criteria for JGP selection. In order to send the best entries, they should put more emphasis on local summer competitions and monitoring sessions if possible.

In this case, yes, Cesario got two JGPs and did quite well (2 bronze medals). However, knowing she had a good chance at the final, it was a little questionable of the USFS to send in a strong competitor like Gold who effectively knocked Cesario out of the final. They should have sent Gold to two events based on her amazing summer competitions, and not pitted her against our other strongest competitor. IMO, the best Jr skaters this year were Gold, Keiser, and Cesario. The USFS didn't assign Keiser, and because of their fumbling around with assignments, the other two couldn't make the final. Whoops!