PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

PDilemma
01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't know the context of that quote offhand. But when I hear "Look in the mirror" I interpret it to mean "Look to your own behavior and take responsibility for your own results -- don't blame outside forces" -- NOT "you're overweight."

I.e., "look in the mirror" means "look at yourself."

That's how I would interpret it as well. But I think there is a tendency among some fans to always look for weight issues.

Nomad
01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't know the context of that quote offhand. But when I hear "Look in the mirror" I interpret it to mean "Look to your own behavior and take responsibility for your own results -- don't blame outside forces" -- NOT "you're overweight."

I.e., "look in the mirror" means "look at yourself."

That's how I took it. I don't remember MK ever looking even slightly out of shape during her career.

ioana
01-20-2012, 06:25 PM
An even hotter mess :lol:. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like Cleveland Nationals where she was bawling her eyes before she skated. At the elite level, it's almost unbelievable.

I remember Mikkeline Kierkgaard of Denmark being in tears at the end of one of her warmp-ups (when she was still doing singles). I had a similar reaction, so it's definitely not that common. And, Sandra Bezic trying to rationalize Mirai's break-down by babbling about 'artistic temperament' was just priceless.

triple_toe
01-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Isn't "fat doesn't fly" also one of Frank's?

toddlj
01-20-2012, 06:31 PM
The two are not the same thing.

You are so right Sylvia. Often the biggest overachievers think they are "lazy"... they have such high standards for themselves and if they even take an hour off off they beat themselves up for it.

My partner is a teacher and his top students are frequently apologizing for not living up to their potential, despite clearly working harder than others.

Self-doubt is such a common trait among overachievers its practically cliche.

demetriosj
01-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Isn't "fat doesn't fly" also one of Frank's?

haven't heard that, but.....

I think a lot of coaches like to blame "weight" and/or paint the skater as a "head case", when they themselves don't know how to/can't technically solve a skater's jump issues....

The Fly On The Wall
01-20-2012, 09:54 PM
I love how everyone convieniently forgets that mirai was also a hot mess with charlene. Sometimes I wish she would leave frank so that once she's just as big a hot mess with the new one as she was with Charlene and frank, all of the frank blame will subside a little.

^ :respec:

Coco
01-21-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't think Frank is too tough for Mirai, and I would never describe Rafael Artunian as an easy coach. In fact, I think he is the more bull headed of the two coaches.

But she clearly feels appreciated by RA, and that can go a long way towards her morale.

My concern with Frank and Lori was always that they would try to fit her into a preconceived notion of what LADIES champion skater should be. I think doing that would not serve Mirai well, nor work very well for her.

Also, if she's only getting through practices because Frank is requiring x routines, or drills or whatever else a skater does, I think this might undermine her confidence because as an 18 yr old, she's got to take responsibility for her skating. The preparation that makes a 15 yr old confident doesn't work for an older skater.

The fact that she's working with other coaches and therefore exposed to other coaching styles, I think this could be a positive because it can help her transition to a more adult approach to practice. Ultimately, it's up to her. And all the time in the car really is NOT helping, but it's a sad fact of life in So. Cal.

Doubletoe
01-21-2012, 01:02 AM
:rolleyes: :blah::mad: I'm so tired of hearing this "Mirai is lazy/Mirai needs to be whipped into shape/Mirai can't be trusted." People hear or read one interview and think they are experts on the situation. I guess this is why they made the block function...here I go using it!

Sometimes people's sources go beyond just one interview. For what it's worth, I know two of her former coaches and was told firsthand (while they were still her coaches) just how few program run-throughs she did per week. They had nothing to gain by making up stories. They also said she was immensely talented. Not everyone's level of focus and discipline match their level of talent; in fact, it's probably rare that it does. Having said that, I love her skating and her fire and I hope she masters the mental part so she can bring home a medal in Sochi.

smarts1
01-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Is Rafael even that much closer to where Mirai is compared to Frank? You guys can correct me if I'm wrong (cuz I'm not an LA native), from the map, it looks like she'd need to be in the car for a good hour (or hour and a half) or so to get to Rafael.

olympic
01-21-2012, 03:30 AM
I love how everyone convieniently forgets that mirai was also a hot mess with charlene. Sometimes I wish she would leave frank so that once she's just as big a hot mess with the new one as she was with Charlene and frank, all of the frank blame will subside a little.

Everyone that is saying that Mirai needs to get rid of FC and go to someone not as tough is forgetting that Mirai will walk all over another coach who isn't tough on her. She has issues working hard to begin with and has even admitted to being lazy at times. That was her problem to begin with before she went to Frank. She needs a tough taskmaster not someone who will give in.

I don't know that anyone is blaming FC. I certainly don't. Sometimes, when you are in a rut / not improving, you just need to shake things up; different regimen, different coach, whatever it may be.

just wondering
01-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Frank Carroll will also have the young Leah Keiser at Senior this year. Leah has had a fantastic season thus far and, from what I understand, is a more balanced competitor overall. Will be interesting to watch the two skaters throughout the competition.

Polymer Bob
01-21-2012, 06:09 PM
I love the short compilation videos USFSA is posting on youtube. Here is Mirai's. It made me excited to see her at Nationals!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HRyPhlcqfE&context=C32e5b9eADOEgsToPDskLxRMTl4wpwwL7xjLKFqdyA

It's a few years old, but she also made the blooper reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViYFvMwjGp4&feature=plcp&context=C3f10a77UDOEgsToPDskLwBFaU806yUTlENP5TRxv6

Sasha'sSpins
01-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I wish Cohen had stayed with TAT. Oh, well.

I wish Sasha had been with TAT from the moment she first stepped on the ice. :D

I remember Mirai saying in an article that she hoped Frank could take her through to the end of her career. He probably will but I think its good she's using different coaches and I still wish she'd try someone other than Lori for choreography.

change of edge
01-22-2012, 01:36 AM
This might be more rumor than news, but it looks like Christina Gao got into Harvard. If so, congrats to her!