PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

icellist
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
I remember reading that Mirai will be attending UCI next year. That will be extremely tough on her family to pay for skating expenses and paying for a UC education (~$5000 per quarter now without housing) especially since her parents own a small restaurant and her mom is not working very often now, so the move may be too costly for her family. I think Mirai is experimenting with coaches for next year too. Based in Irvine, the only convenient rinks would be in Artesia and Mission Viejo with the fellow prominent coaches: Karen Kwan/Peter Oppegard and Galina Barinova in Artesia; Tammy Gambill (sometimes), John Nicks, and Sand/Meno in Mission Viejo. The Palm Springs drive is definitely too far but at this point Mirai will probably use RA and Barinova as her coaching team next year (hopefully relinquishing herself from Nichols choreography). She is using her deferred year much more efficiently looking for better training conditions) than Rachael did (only with Zakrajsek).

Here's to hoping the best for Mirai's mirai!

Lanie
01-19-2012, 09:21 AM
There will be a rink in Lake Forest, but I'm not sure when it will open; it's Ilia Kulik's rink. She could also go to Anaheim, there are two rinks there. That's where I skated in college when I lived in Irvine. A lot easier to get to than the Aliso Viejo rink!

bek
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
This. D-10 was reallyy struggling last season (much moreso than Mirai this season has), and seems to be doing much better this season so far, I quite enjoyed his performances on the GP and think he has reestablished himself as "one to watch", and I want to say Rafael is now his main coach, while last season it was Frank. Could be a good move for Mirai too, I know she and Denis are good friends as well. Frank is a good coach but he has a lot of students and doesn't work for everyone, case in point, Kostner, and now Ten.

I think Denis/ Kostner are different circumstances though. I'm not saying Mirai wouldn't benefited from going to Rafael. But in the case of Denis/Kostner I suspect perhaps some of the issues with Frank was coaching style. They were use to the European style of skating/coaching which is different from Franks. Also in Denis' case training in Russia as long as he trained there, I'm sure he's use to be trained in Russian. I would imagine being a former Soviet skater (even if he's Armenian) Rafael speaks Russian? Yes Denis speaks English, but I'd imagine he might be more comfortable training in Russian, given he's trained that way for so long. All in all I'd imagine that Denis/Rafael might have always been a better fit (at least on paper).

olympic
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
I think Denis/ Mirai are different circumstances though. I'm not saying Mirai wouldn't be benefited from going to Rafael. But in the case of Denis/Kostner I suspect perhaps some of the issues with Frank was coaching style. They were use to the European style of skating/coaching which is different from Franks. Also in Denis' case training in Russia as long as he trained there, I'm sure he's use to be trained in Russian. I would imagine being a former Soviet skater (even if he's Armenian) Rafael speaks Russian?

Mao trained with RA when she was at a high point in her career [free, happy]. So, it could work.

But, it's maybe moot if she is going to school next year and has to choose another rink based on logistics

bek
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Mao trained with RA when she was at a high point in her career [free, happy]. So, it could work.

But, it's maybe moot if she is going to school next year and has to choose another rink based on logistics

I wasn't saying at all that Mirai wouldn't benefit from working with Rafael he's worked well for a lot of skaters from many different nations. I was merely pointing out though that Frank's reasons for not working well with Kostner (and perhaps Ten although he still works with him) may very well have been cultural.

haribobo
01-19-2012, 01:44 PM
I think to some degree Frank has lost his magic touch that he had in the 80s and 90s. I'm sure he's still better than the average coach. But I don't think Carolina's problems with Frank were just that he did things "the American way." Whatever that even means- though I think the US coaches are all a bit different. I get the feeling he's a bit lacking in originality with the programs he guides his skaters into...and that stodginess probably creeps into other aspects as well. I'm not putting all the blame on Lori though because at the end of the day Frank is the coach and could suggest new moves or music but he seems ok with pretty standard fare.

Its all projection as I have no personal experience with the guy, though. At the end of the day his skaters still produce a good quality overall product but I haven't been truly inspired by anything he's produced in quite a while.

edonice
01-19-2012, 04:53 PM
I remember reading that Mirai will be attending UCI next year. That will be extremely tough on her family to pay for skating expenses and paying for a UC education (~$5000 per quarter now without housing) especially since her parents own a small restaurant and her mom is not working very often now, so the move may be too costly for her family. I think Mirai is experimenting with coaches for next year too. Based in Irvine, the only convenient rinks would be in Artesia and Mission Viejo with the fellow prominent coaches: Karen Kwan/Peter Oppegard and Galina Barinova in Artesia; Tammy Gambill (sometimes), John Nicks, and Sand/Meno in Mission Viejo. The Palm Springs drive is definitely too far but at this point Mirai will probably use RA and Barinova as her coaching team next year (hopefully relinquishing herself from Nichols choreography). She is using her deferred year much more efficiently looking for better training conditions) than Rachael did (only with Zakrajsek).

Here's to hoping the best for Mirai's mirai!

I assumed, when I read that Mirai was going to start classes, that she was going to do them online. Does UCI offer online classes? Many colleges offer them, and that way she could stay on top of her classes and schoolwork even if her training or competition schedules change.

olympic
01-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I think to some degree Frank has lost his magic touch that he had in the 80s and 90s. I'm sure he's still better than the average coach. But I don't think Carolina's problems with Frank were just that he did things "the American way." Whatever that even means- though I think the US coaches are all a bit different. I get the feeling he's a bit lacking in originality with the programs he guides his skaters into...and that stodginess probably creeps into other aspects as well. I'm not putting all the blame on Lori though because at the end of the day Frank is the coach and could suggest new moves or music but he seems ok with pretty standard fare.

Its all projection as I have no personal experience with the guy, though. At the end of the day his skaters still produce a good quality overall product but I haven't been truly inspired by anything he's produced in quite a while.

I've been wanting to discuss FC. It's a situation worth examining ... on a fan board at least :)

ITA with you in regards to what I bolded in your post above. I see FC trotting out the same old musical pieces on a regular basis and shipping his skaters off to Lori Nichol. After a few years, it could be tiresome for both the elite skater and for the fans. I think MK in 2001 had to speak up forcefully to get away from Nichol and go to Sarah Kawahara, didn't she? Ultimately, she split with FC in an Olympic year which is a bold, somewhat desperate move. That is significant.

I also think he's strict as well as somewhat stodgy. And maybe elite skaters like MK [or perhaps Mirai in the future] get/will get a little bored with the aforementioned 'stodginess' and either act out or flee.

Then again, Evan did just fine by FC. It's ultimately up to the skater.

So re Mirai, I think she would benefit from a move. I think in the right atmosphere, she could train the 3-3s she needs [FC is holding her back there IMO] and become a force to be reckoned with.

Jayar
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm glad all of you know what is best for these skaters. What would they ever do without your advice?

Sparks
01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm glad all of you know what is best for these skaters. What would they ever do without your advice?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Louis
01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
I think to some degree Frank has lost his magic touch that he had in the 80s and 90s.

:huh: Well, he has an Olympic gold medal to show for it. I suspect that at this stage in her career, coaching a student to an OGM was worth whatever compromises it required.

I think Frank Carroll is still the best at having students show up to big competitions fully trained and in peak form. In many cases, his skaters have far exceeded expectations and/or where their natural talent should've gotten them. (Tim Goebel, anyone? :lol: ) I can't think of a Carroll skater who ever showed up to a World Championships or Olympic Games unprepared. He has done well even with bona fide head cases like Bowman (RIP) and Nagasu.

RD
01-19-2012, 06:07 PM
I can't think of a Carroll skater who ever showed up to a World Championships or Olympic Games unprepared.

The year Kostner had her Worlds meltdown (2009)- was Carroll her coach?

Sparks
01-19-2012, 06:14 PM
No.
Carroll only consulted with Carolina during the summer of 2010, I *think*

Mayra
01-19-2012, 06:21 PM
The year Kostner had her Worlds meltdown (2009)- was Carroll her coach?

No, Huth was her coach. She split with him shortly after. It was during the off season of 2009 that she went to LA. She stayed with Carroll only a handful of months and switched to Fassi full time. Not sure how Frank shoulders the blame for not turning Kostner around in the short time she was with him. Especially when you consider the state she arrived in. :confused: Rome wasn't built in a day.

olympic
01-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Just conjecture. This is a fan board with various people offering various opinions on everything