PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

RD
01-18-2012, 04:57 PM
3rd I think would be a disappointment for Wagner. She wants to go to Worlds, I think that much is clear.

berthesghost
01-18-2012, 06:34 PM
I am expecting Ash to win anything else would be falure IMHODid you mean in your eyes or hers?

We all know she has no problem showing her emotions in the moment, but if she does indeed feel anything less than gold is failure, hopefully she's get over it and use it as motivation for next year. I assume her long term goal is skating in Sochi.

Sparks
01-18-2012, 07:00 PM
3rd I think would be a disappointment for Wagner. She wants to go to Worlds, I think that much is clear.

Don't all of the top ladies want to go to Worlds? :confused:

Maofan7
01-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Recent article on Mirai Nagasu (http://www.examiner.com/figure-skating-in-national/u-s-nationals-teaser-what-inspires-nagasu)

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere

On her prep for nationals, article reads:-

In addition to training with coach Frank Carroll near Palm Springs, Nagasu has been working with Rafael Arutunian in Lake Arrowhead (where Carroll used to coach) and Galina Barinova on choreography in Artesia. That’s a lot of driving, which will prep her well for the six-hour drive that she will have to San Jose later this month. The goal, Nagasu said, has been working on her boosting her program component marks. She will not be putting a triple-triple in her programs at Nationals, looking to Kostner’s triple lutz-less win at the Grand Prix Final. Her work with Barinova has been focused on “the more delicate side of my skating and to concentrate on my musicality.”

Sylvia
01-18-2012, 08:48 PM
The above article and excerpt is based on Nagasu's media teleconference last week (a transcript link is in post #33 earlier in this thread).

For those with access to Kiss and Cry, chipso1 has posted averaged Senior Ladies scores (total, SP, FS) in the "Fun with Numbers" thread in the 2012 US Nationals forum - direct link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3434212&postcount=1

Wyliefan
01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
"That’s a lot of driving, which will prep her well for the six-hour drive that she will have to San Jose later this month."

That's a weird take on things. As if it were a drive that she needed to prep for!

Maofan7
01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
The above article excerpt is based on Nagasu's media teleconference last week (a transcript link is in post #33 earlier in this thread).

Thanks for the link

As there are only 2 places up for grabs for Worlds, I do think Mirai should be deploying a triple triple combination. Alissa and Ashley represent serious competition and Mirai is not a racing certainty for one of the two spots. Moreover, although a lot of people are writing Rachael off, I don't think she can be completely ruled out as a factor. However, if Rachael cannot improve on her grand prix performances, then quite honestly I can't see her making the podium at Nationals. Indeed, she would struggle to even make the top 5.

demetriosj
01-18-2012, 09:28 PM
here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR2Wfuj1XHA

I hope she'll be in full shape at nationals

Oh, no wonder some people are trying to hype the Juniors when the defending Senior champion has such poor jumps.........

you'd think they would have at least picked music that accentuates her skills, flexibility, lines, spins etc...............her music is slow and boring.........

& what is up with that dress? She usually has lovely dresses, but this one is a miss........

She looked like she wanted to be anywhere else but on the ice.........

olympic
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Recent article on Mirai Nagasu (http://www.examiner.com/figure-skating-in-national/u-s-nationals-teaser-what-inspires-nagasu)

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere

On her prep for nationals, article reads:-

It really is a weird strategy; Spending your season in the car, going from rink to rink to work on your ... components ? Mirai skates from the heart and if she were to work on / land the jumps, her PCS would probably come up automatically anyway.

I personally think she's in a rut. Maybe she would do well to leave FC and do a trial run with RA - skate at altitude and get a fresh view of things. From what I recall, he was a good jump coach and helped MK. That is something tangible Mirai needs

Jammers
01-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Mirai certainly wasn't skating from the heart during the GP season. In fact at times she looks lost out there. Remember Nationals last year? In her LP she skated with very little emotion and just gave it away as Frank told her. Now if she shows up ready to fight and show some of that personality that we know she has then she has a good chance of winning because Alissa and Ashley are very beatable.

RD
01-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Actually you could even make that argument for Nagasu as well. She's quite beatable to the others (well, to Czisny at least) if she skates tentatively again.

You could hold Nationals on different days that week and likely get different winners each time.

shan
01-19-2012, 05:07 AM
I love the short compilation videos USFSA is posting on youtube. Here is Mirai's. It made me excited to see her at Nationals!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HRyPhlcqfE&context=C32e5b9eADOEgsToPDskLxRMTl4wpwwL7xjLKFqdyA

pinky166
01-19-2012, 05:13 AM
I personally think she's in a rut. Maybe she would do well to leave FC and do a trial run with RA - skate at altitude and get a fresh view of things. From what I recall, he was a good jump coach and helped MK. That is something tangible Mirai needs

This. D-10 was reallyy struggling last season (much moreso than Mirai this season has), and seems to be doing much better this season so far, I quite enjoyed his performances on the GP and think he has reestablished himself as "one to watch", and I want to say Rafael is now his main coach, while last season it was Frank. Could be a good move for Mirai too, I know she and Denis are good friends as well. Frank is a good coach but he has a lot of students and doesn't work for everyone, case in point, Kostner, and now Ten.

Might be time to mix things up. One thing's for sure, all that sitting in the car isn't good for her fitness, health, stress, and anxiety levels. Must be a pain in the ass tbh. I wonder why Mirai hasn't considered moving into an apartment near one of the rinks and living there at least during the week? And then she could visit her parents on the weekends or whatnot. Maybe it's a financial issue but she is 18, the age of college freshman, she's old enough to be living on her own, especially if she's just a few hours from home and can see her parents on a weekly or bi-monthly basis. In some ways I think Mirai living by herself could help give her the push she may need to truly "grow up". Idk. Anyone think the same way?

change of edge
01-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Yeah it might be a good idea for her to live closer to her training rinks, but my guess is that her parents are quite protective of their only daughter. The fact that her mom is willing to drive her for 4+ hours each day (and wait for her while she trains) speaks volumes of their commitment to her. You're right though, sitting in the car for that long each day does nothing for her fitness...

Sasha'sSpins
01-19-2012, 05:50 AM
:rofl: You are right, of course. I shouldn't be so unfair. I'd like to retract my previous statement and say that I believe that each lady in the competition has the potential for mediocrity (and I fear that statement is more realistic than sarcastic :shuffle:)

I want to laugh-but I'm scared. :slinkaway

This. D-10 was reallyy struggling last season (much moreso than Mirai this season has), and seems to be doing much better this season so far, I quite enjoyed his performances on the GP and think he has reestablished himself as "one to watch", and I want to say Rafael is now his main coach, while last season it was Frank. Could be a good move for Mirai too, I know she and Denis are good friends as well. Frank is a good coach but he has a lot of students and doesn't work for everyone, case in point, Kostner, and now Ten.

Might be time to mix things up. One thing's for sure, all that sitting in the car isn't good for her fitness, health, stress, and anxiety levels. Must be a pain in the ass tbh. I wonder why Mirai hasn't considered moving into an apartment near one of the rinks and living there at least during the week? And then she could visit her parents on the weekends or whatnot. Maybe it's a financial issue but she is 18, the age of college freshman, she's old enough to be living on her own, especially if she's just a few hours from home and can see her parents on a weekly or bi-monthly basis. In some ways I think Mirai living by herself could help give her the push she may need to truly "grow up". Idk. Anyone think the same way?

All that time Mirai spends in a car IS as concerning as it seems to have been for Rachael who remedied that by taking the train. For Mirai she really should consider moving out on her own closer to her coaches-if she really really wants the Olympics she's got to make some hard decisions.