PDA

View Full Version : US Ladies [#3]: 2011-12 news, musings & everything else

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

shan
01-16-2012, 10:09 PM
I wish it had sleeves (maybe black sheer), and that it was a bit longer....:shuffle:

But if she's getting rid of the OTBs, I'm jumping for joy! I'm so over the OTBs...the classic look is back in.

what does OTB mean?

I'm guessing:

Over the Back
On the Back
One to Beat
On the Beat

None of those sound quite right and have nothing to do with costuming....

I know i'm going to feel really dumb when this question is answered. :shuffle:

falling_dance
01-16-2012, 10:11 PM
what does OTB mean?

over-the-boot (tights)

edonice
01-16-2012, 10:13 PM
what does OTB mean?

I'm guessing:

Over the Back
On the Back
One to Beat
On the Beat

Yup, over the boot tights, as in: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/rachaelflatt15.jpg

It's supposed to make your legs look longer, but it generally just makes you look like you have fat feet. I like the classic white boots look much more.

shan
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Of course :duh:

haribobo
01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I am really offended at how you are favoring Flatt, Nagasu, and Czisny here! You are overlooking the other ladies; they are capable of disaster too. Why don't you give them a chance as well?

:rofl: and I agree. All of these ladies can have the worst skate of their lives! Let's consider all the options.

I can't ever remember a year with so much inane repetitive discussion of what COULD happen at Nationals and outrageous psychoanalysis of interviews. People are really bored and really need something new to discuss. 10 more days...or well, there's always Canadian Nationals...the novices are happening today...

(then again, I must be bored too cause I keep coming into this thread) ;)

triple_toe
01-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I am really offended at how you are favoring Flatt, Nagasu, and Czisny here! You are overlooking the other ladies; they are capable of disaster too. Why don't you give them a chance as well?

:rofl: You are right, of course. I shouldn't be so unfair. I'd like to retract my previous statement and say that I believe that each lady in the competition has the potential for mediocrity (and I fear that statement is more realistic than sarcastic :shuffle:)

haribobo
01-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I believe that each lady in the competition has the potential for mediocrity (and I fear that statement is more realistic than sarcastic :shuffle:)

If you compare last year's sectionals senior ladies scores to this year's- this year's are FAR FAR higher on the whole. So in reality there is no reason to expect a mediocre competition. There's a lot of talent out there regardless of what Mirai, Ashley, and Alissa do.

mgobluegirl
01-16-2012, 11:20 PM
FWIW, if I remember correctly, Alissa didn't perform well at that DSC show last year either. Nothing is said and done, and I hope they all bring it in San Jose. I wish so much I could be there this year.

RD
01-16-2012, 11:29 PM
I think that this is the transition year for US skating. I think that there will be some ugly performances from some of the top skaters, and some 'unknown' (not to us-- to the rest of the world) will step up and cash in. There are a few up and comers who are on the verge, and it could be that two clean performances with a little flair could be what propels them into the next level. Think Gao, Cesario, Siraj, Keiser. It could get interesting.

Right...I was thinking about this very possibility all along.

Jarrett
01-17-2012, 02:02 AM
I wish it had sleeves (maybe black sheer), and that it was a bit longer....:shuffle:

Sleeves would just make her arms look more plump. Is that for the LP?

chipso1
01-17-2012, 03:03 AM
I'm really surprised Flatt hasn't withdrawn yet, to be honest. Without a consistent flip or Lutz, she's looking at the 8-12 range, IMO. :shuffle: She loses too many valuable points on the quality of her spins when compared to many of the other ladies: Czisny, Nagasu, Wagner, Lam, Zawadzki, Zhang, etc. etc. (even compared to skaters like Siraj, Cesario, Baga, Keiser and Wang...) She needs the jump difficulty to stay up in the top group.

Jenna
01-17-2012, 03:14 AM
I'm thinking her withdrawal might be imminent, too. She's injured and undertrained..just as she was at her Grand Prix events. And we all know how those went...

I truly feel sorry for her. I think it's time to call it a career now. She's accomplished a lot: US Champion, World Junior Champion, Top 5 World placement, and Olympian. Not too shabby. She's an extremely bright girl who should focus on her studies.

Marco
01-17-2012, 03:15 AM
FWIW, if I remember correctly, Alissa didn't perform well at that DSC show last year either. Nothing is said and done, and I hope they all bring it in San Jose. I wish so much I could be there this year.

I was going to ask this. I would love it if this was true.

But it looked like she was not just falling on jumps, she was chronically under-rotating them again.

PDilemma
01-17-2012, 02:59 PM
So, to summarize- we have Flatt and Nagasu lowering expectations, Wagner raising them and Czisny keeping the status quo. Interesting.

Flatt can't do anything but lower expectations; her fall results already did that anyway.

Mirai probably needs to lower expectations. Look what has happened when she is the favorite and what happens when she knocks the short program out of the rink. Psychologically, she seems to function better if she considers herself an underdog.

Wagner raises expectations every year. I'll consider it a sign of something when she actually lives up to them.

Czisny...I don't know. I do think she is not as "off" as everyone here is making her out to be. She had a decent fall, was injured at the GPF, and shows don't count.

RD
01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Not sure why folks think Flatt will WD based on what she said. I don't think that will happen unless she's physically unable to skate. I don't think that's the case right now.

As for Czisny, what's NOT working in her favor is history. No one has successfully defended a US title since the Kwan days. And Czisny's own competitive history tells us that theoretically, this should be a down year for her (even number). We already saw what happened at the GPF, but she mentioned injury. We'll have to see if she can bounce back and buck the trend.