PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo feature on adult skater who lost 100 lbs

Pages : [1] 2

TanithandBenFan
01-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Sandra Chambers feature on Yahoo Vitality (http://vitality.yahoo.com/video-losing-100-pounds-becoming-a-figure-skater-27846134)

Sandra lost 100 pounds while learning how to figure skate and went on to win the bronze last year at Adult Nationals. Her sister works with me and has told me all about her story. She's a great inspiration!

succubus
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I love her dress - so pretty. Great story!

Nan
01-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Very cool! :)

viennese
01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for posting.
Two and a half years skating, that's all?!
She's good. Nice sit spin.

julieann
01-11-2012, 04:28 PM
That's so awesome!

Skittl1321
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
She has amazing talent to get that far in 2 1/2 years and with a huge amount of weight loss.

I wonder if she danced, did gymnastics, or skated as a child? She has to have a natural sense of balance, and a good amount of strength/flexibility to pass through bronze (and be one of the best bronze skaters in the country) so quickly.

Good for her!

TanithandBenFan
01-11-2012, 05:03 PM
She has amazing talent to get that far in 2 1/2 years and with a huge amount of weight loss.

I wonder if she danced, did gymnastics, or skated as a child? She has to have a natural sense of balance, and a good amount of strength/flexibility to pass through bronze (and be one of the best bronze skaters in the country) so quickly.

Good for her!

She was a roller skater when she was young, so I think that definitely helped. :)

Rochelle
01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
She was also featured on Oprah for hear story of weight loss through the aid of skating. :)

When I get home from work I'll see if part of the segment is on YouTube, or I'll ask Sandra if it's available on line somewhere. (I've met her at the Adult National and Adult Sectional competitions -- she's a great woman!)

For those "arm chair fans" out there... if there's a rink in reasonable driving distance... it's never too late to take up skating for your own personal fitness and enjoyment. Or for those who hung up their skates decades ago, it's never too late to return.

Many rinks now offer Adult-only beginner group classes, many coaches will give private lessons to beginner adults or returning adults, and some rinks even have special public sessions -- or even freestyle/(or freestyle/dance mixed) practice sessions just for adults.

In addition to the aspects of fitness, learning new skills, sharpening other skills, and skating for your own enjoyment... there are a host of other opportunities for adults through US Figure Skating and ISI in the states -- and similar programs in many other countries. There are competitions just for adults, social ice dance weekends, adult-only skating clinics (lasting a few hours, a day, a weekend, or a whole week). And local skating clubs are always in need of adults to volunteer in a wide variety of ways.

Something to consider if Sandra's story inspires you. :)

pollyanna
01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
V. v. cool! :respec:

iarispiralllyof
01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
what a sweet story! I didn't know you could learn to skate like that at 43!! :O I'm ignorant lol

when is the latest one can learn triples I wonder...johnny weir started skating at 14 if I'm not wrong

purple skates
01-11-2012, 09:43 PM
When I get home from work I'll see if part of the segment is on YouTube, or I'll ask Sandra if it's available on line somewhere. (I've met her at the Adult National and Adult Sectional competitions -- she's a great woman!)

I'm not sure I met her, but I see Sue is her coach. If any adult in the Chicago area wants to skate, Sue's your woman. She's a great supporter of adult skating. :)

Aussie Willy
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Great story - thanks for posting.

Fantastic how it led to a whole change in lifestyle for her (and her family) because that is what it takes to get healthy. There are some adult skaters who are just naturally talented and she seems to be one of them.

At the big rink here in Melbourne they have had adult only classes which have introduced a whole group of adults to the sport. But I find you still need to give them your own story to show them that there is something in it for them (I took it up at 27). Because they need to know that not everyone took the sport up as a kid.

Rochelle
01-11-2012, 10:54 PM
what a sweet story! I didn't know you could learn to skate like that at 43!! :O I'm ignorant lol

when is the latest one can learn triples I wonder...johnny weir started skating at 14 if I'm not wrong

I don't know of any skater who started skating purely as an adult who has landed triples in competition -- but they may be out there. Johnny started skating at 12 per his bio (http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100084&mode=I), and was approximately 14 when he placed 4th at Juvenile at the Junior Olympics, and 15 when he placed 3rd at Nationals in Novice. That's an extremely quick rise in levels for any skater of this recent generation.

I have a friend who took up skating entirely as an adult (he's in his mid/later 30s), who has learned up through all of his double jumps except the double axel.

He's been skating for about 10(?) years, and he passed his Junior Free Skate test this summer. He had an athletic and dance background as a child. But he's active in US Figure Skating adult qualifying competition and now competes in Masters Junior Senior level -- which is about the same as Junior & Senior test track, with some 2 axels and triples thrown in and quite and a notable amount of levels 3s & 4s in spins, etc.

Aussie Willy
01-11-2012, 11:48 PM
I don't know of any skater who started skating purely as an adult who has landed triples in competition -- but they may be out there. Johnny started skating at 12 per his bio (http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100084&mode=I), and was approximately 14 when he placed 4th at Juvenile at the Junior Olympics, and 15 when he placed 3rd at Nationals in Novice. That's an extremely quick rise in levels for any skater of this recent generation.

I have a friend who took up skating entirely as an adult (he's in his mid/later 30s), who has learned up through all of his double jumps except the double axel.

He's been skating for about 10(?) years, and he passed his Junior Free Skate test this summer. He had an athletic and dance background as a child. But he's active in US Figure Skating adult qualifying competition and now competes in Masters Junior Senior level -- which is about the same as Junior & Senior test track, with some 2 axels and triples thrown in and quite and a notable amount of levels 3s & 4s in spins, etc.
Some people are just freaks!

shan
01-12-2012, 12:59 AM
What a heartwarming story!! Good for her! :cheer2: