PDA

View Full Version : Julia Soldatova, what happened? (2004)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Marco
01-13-2012, 06:36 AM
I dunno, I'm a fan of Michelle and even I think she was overmarked in the SP. :shuffle: She completely went splat on the axel, the landing of the lutz was questionable, she did the easiest solo triple, spins were slower than usual. The performance (like the her entire competition) was a little off and I am not sure she deserved the 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.6 5.9 5.9 presentation marks for Fate of Carmen. That said I don't remember the other skaters so I don't know if any should have placed ahead of her.

I agree that her marks were on the high end, but under the old system, provided mandatory deductions were applied, marks were merely placeholders.

judgejudy27
01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Under the rules in effect in 1999 (http://ww2.isu.org/news/980.html), the deduction for a fall on a solo jump was exactly 0.4. Not minimum and maximum -- that was the deduction.

Now, of course, the judges were free to set the base mark for the program as a whole wherever they wanted to, up to 6.0. So the maximum score for required elements would be 5.6 if there was a fall on a solo jump and no other mandatory deductions.

Within those parameters, there's room for disagreement.

Bottom line is the highest any judge should have scored Kwan for that performance was a 5.2 or 5.3 for required elements and 5.7 or 5.8 for presentation. 5.5s for technical merit from a couple judges for that performance is just a huge ROTFL!!