PDA

View Full Version : A question to the Americans

Pages : [1] 2 3

TAHbKA
01-09-2012, 09:59 AM
if you were reading a program documentation spelled in an american english (aka program, center etc) would you expect grey to be spelled as gray or as grey or it wouldn't matter?
(reading our product user guide, it spells grey and center in the same document. Am clueless whether it's good, bad, unimportant).

Thanks!

PrincessLeppard
01-09-2012, 11:57 AM
It doesn't matter as long as you are consistent. :)

cholla
01-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Grey = GB
Gray = US

emason
01-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Grey = GB
Gray = US

No, both are commonly used in the US.

TAHbKA
01-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Grey = GB
Gray = US

Yes, that's what I meant. The technical writer spelled `color' and `center' and then `grey'.

emason, thank you! That explains:)

Grey it is!

Skittl1321
01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I can never remember which is the "American" spelling of the word, but the copy-editor at work tells me that Gray is the american spelling. Looking at all the major style guides ing the office, they all say gray is American and grey British.

You can remember it because A = American, E = English

Both are commonly used here, so I don't think anyone would give it a second glance, but I think that is because most Americans don't know which is the "British" spelling (because it doesn't follow any style convention that normally Americanizes words- why have two different words at all?)

Aceon6
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I use both. Seriously. I can never remember which to use. Somedays it's a, others it's e.

Sassafras
01-09-2012, 02:26 PM
What Aceon6 said ^^^^^^^

snoopysnake
01-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Gray, graigh, grae, greigh. I prefer grey.

Vagabond
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
No, both are commonly used in the US.

"Gray" is far more commonly used in the U.S.

I can never remember which is the "American" spelling of the word, but the copy-editor at work tells me that Gray is the american spelling. Looking at all the major style guides ing the office, they all say gray is American and grey British.

You can remember it because A = American, E = English

Both are commonly used here, so I don't think anyone would give it a second glance, but I think that is because most Americans don't know which is the "British" spelling (because it doesn't follow any style convention that normally Americanizes words- why have two different words at all?)

I was taught in second grade that "grey" is the British spelling and shouldn't be used in written U.S. English.

It I were reading an article that used the spellings "center," "color," and "grey," I would wonder why the writer was switching between American and British spelling conventions.

emason
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
"Gray" is far more commonly used in the U.S.

I was taught in second grade that "grey" is the British spelling and shouldn't be used in written U.S. English.

It I were reading an article that used the spellings "center," "color," and "grey," I would wonder why the writer was switching between American and British spelling conventions.

I don't agree; grey and gray were used interchangeably when I was growing up and there was no differentiation. There were just alternate spellings of the same word.

Badams
01-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I had a teacher named "Grey". And I have always interchanged grey and gray. When I had this teacher, I assumed that Grey was the spelling when it's a name, and gray when it's a color. But when reading, grey and gray are used to mean color. So I just figured nobody gives a crap and grey and gray can co-exist peacefully. :D

gkelly
01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
My American dictionary at hand lists grey as a variant of gray. I.e., grey is not incorrect, but gray is preferred. It doesn't say anything about grey being primarily a British spelling.

Same with theater vs. theatre.

So I'd agree with emason -- either is correct as long as it's consistent.

numbers123
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
I really don't read any difference. for example grey-dolloped horse seems to be the write spelling. Gray is a color in a crayola box. I had a friend who named her daughter Gray. So perhaps I read them: grey as a descriptive term and gray as a noun?
I agree with PrincessLeppard and emason, just be consistent.

Skittl1321
01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Same with theater vs. theatre.

I was taught that in American English a theater is a building and theatre is the art form.

I don't know if that is a "real" rule though.

(Oh- and I prefer grey, but the editors have conditioned me to use gray.)