PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

topaz
01-24-2012, 09:32 PM
1. There is a big difference between 28 and 30. 30 is when even late bloomers (which Serena isnt) start to really go downhill.

2. Serena has played better than Wimbledon 2010 MANY times in her career. Her ground game wasnt even sharp, which is how she nearly lost sets in 3 of her last 4 rounds. She probably had her best serving tournament ever which is why she still came through each match in straight sets, but her 4th round, quarterfinal, and semifinal opponents all outplayed her off the ground.

3. Yes she made the US Open final but then got taken apart by STOSUR of all people. That was while virtually all the other real threats (Kvitova, Na, Clijsters, Sharapova) were totally out of form and not even winning matches, or were injured and not playing, so there was literally no competition, and she still didnt finish the job.

I am a Serena fan but I am also a realist. I also did not say she wont another big title at some point, but it is highly unlikely she will win alot more, and it is time people get used to the idea she is no longer the one to beat or the dominant player. These are the most big titles players in the Open Era won in their 30s:

Martina Navratilova (latest blooming greater player ever who had only 2 slams by her 25th birthday and ended up as arguably GOAT)- 3

Margaret Court- 3

Billie Jean King- 2

Chris Evert- 2

Steffi Graf- 1

Virginia Wade- 1

Ann Jones- 1

Those are in fact the only slams won by a 30 something women in the Open Era.

In response,

As I stated, its one of her best tourney's ever. In which she never dropped a set during the entire 2010 Wimbledon and had the best serving from a women in a grand slam. In my opinion, that qualifies as one of her best ever tourney's.

Also, Serena was out of the game almost a year due to foot injury and PE. Even with her injury and illness added another year to her career.

The persons you listed as a threat, I only see Cliisters and Ktivova as threats. Maria's record against Serena has been dismal since the 2004 Aussie Open and Li Na does not qualify as a real threat with the way she's played for the last 8 months.

As in not being the dominant player anymore, I still want to see a healthy, fit, in shape Serena for long period of time face the other players. We'll have to see if Serena will play more tourneys this season that she did in 2009.

liv
01-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Yay for Kimmie! So glad she was able to overcome her ankle and hand Wozniacki another loss. I've always enjoyed her tennis even if she is very inconsistent. When she's on, she's capable of beating everyone...and her personality is pleasant too. Shows you don't have to have/or put on display, a massive ego to do well in this sport.

But, for fans of Caroline's, there is hope for her. Remember Aranxta Sanchez Vicario made a career out of being a human backboard with little offence and was able to win Grand Slam tournaments. Caroline is still young and it's a sport...anything can happen.

BigB08822
01-25-2012, 03:41 AM
How is Woz on clay? I would think that would be her best hope of winning a Slam. Defensive tennis can do wonders on that surface if you hang in there long enough. However, not everyone can move naturally on that surface.

topaz
01-25-2012, 04:29 AM
How is Woz on clay? I would think that would be her best hope of winning a Slam. Defensive tennis can do wonders on that surface if you hang in there long enough. However, not everyone can move naturally on that surface.

Caroline's record on clay is okay at best. Aranxta was a scrabler and a backboard but she knew when to be aggressive and she pickd her moments during a match. Also, Aranxta had a fabulous half volley being a fantastic doubles player. Also, she was alot more craftier out there.

Speaking of Aranxta she is looking fabulous now, she turned 40 last month and she had a baby in October.

Aranxta with her husband (http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jose+Santacana+Scarlett+Johansson+Attends+HSdViJOZ e5Fl.jpg)

oleada
01-25-2012, 04:38 AM

It's not great. I think, like you said, she's one of those that doesn't move naturally on the surface. Others in her generation such as Azarenka, Radwanska and even Kvitova (which seems unlikely) are more adept on that surface. Hard court is her best surface, but she's also prone to getting beat by big hitters. I also don't think her schedule has been adequately tailored for her to peak at slams.

I like the women's line-up...1 defending champion and 3 fighting for #1.

Rottie
01-25-2012, 05:17 AM
I noticed that the women's semis consist of the #2, 3, and 4 seeds with the #11 seed (Clijsters, who's probably a lot lower than she should be because of last year's injuries). That's very orderly!

oleada
01-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Radwanska complained about Sharapova's grunt. Maria's response, via John Wertheim's twitter:

Asked about Radwanska condemning her grunting, Sharapova: "Isn't she back in Poland already?" Brrrrrrr
:cold:

ETA:
Ben Rothenberg @BenRothenberg Close
Sharapova's final dismissal of Agnieszka Radwanska: "No one *important enough* has told me to change or do something different." #AusOpen

I don't think they're friends...:rofl:

BigB08822
01-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Aranxta looks AMAZING! She always looked awful with the short hair, IMO. She is looking sexy in her 40's!

Loves_Shizuka
01-25-2012, 07:57 AM
WOW, Arantxa DOES look good - far better than when she was a player - much like Monica Seles and Gabriela Sabatini :D

Woz struggles on clay - the USO and Oz are her best slam chances IMO. Isn't she down to number four now, with Maria reaching the semi's?

I must say, I think the men's draw has been rather dull this year.

FSfan107
01-26-2012, 12:19 AM
I have my alarm set for 3:30 am. I have a hard time falling asleep before 12:00 so I guess I won't be getting much sleep tonight. :)

elka_sk8
01-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Radwanska complained about Sharapova's grunt. Maria's response, via John Wertheim's twitter:

:cold:

ETA:

I don't think they're friends...:rofl:

LOL, I read about this too. Radwanska's description (that Maria's grunt was "pretty annoying") is pretty spot on. :rofl: OTOH she didn't seem to bothered by Azarenka's grunt- but then, I guess they are friends. :lol:

topaz
01-26-2012, 02:50 AM
@Oleada. Agnes was asked in the press conference/interview about Vika's grunting/shrieking. She said that she was use to Vika's, i.e they've played each other since they were 11 or 12. She said for her Maria's grunting would be more annoying.

Maria isn't the friendliest on the tour; she keeps to herself and doesn't really interact with the players. So, she comes off as unapproachable to the others on the tour.

I find it interesting that the press is consistently on Vika's case about her grunting but I've haven't seen anyone asking Maria's opponents about her grunting. But they're on Vika and her opponents about her grunting. She was made fun of the first match by some crowd members mocking her.

Kim/Vika's match just started. I hope Vika stays strong. The crowd is going to heavily behind Kim and will get on Vika for any little thing. This is the biggest match of Vika's career imo.

judgejudy27
01-26-2012, 03:10 AM
It is really incredible Azarenka or Sharapova have a chance to be #1 after this tournament. Neither at all deserve it IMO. Kvitova and Wozniacki are the only two players with an overall record in the last 12 months to deserve #1. Azarenka's game is also incredibly unimpressive for a potential #1 to be honest, even moreso than Wozniacki who atleast stands out in her consistency and defense.

oleada
01-26-2012, 03:16 AM
It is really incredible Azarenka or Sharapova have a chance to be #1 after this tournament. Neither at all deserve it IMO. Kvitova and Wozniacki are the only two players with an overall record in the last 12 months to deserve #1. Azarenka's game is also incredibly unimpressive for a potential #1 to be honest, even moreso than Wozniacki who atleast stands out in her consistency and defense.

How would having a grand slam win and a final be at all undeserving of a number one? That would be Sharapova's record.

Vika's very consistent at beating the lower ranked players - even more so than Wozniacki - and she will be #1 only if she wins.

judgejudy27
01-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Wozniacki and Kvitova have both won 6 tournaments in the last year. Wozniacki's does not include a slam but includes 4 Premier titles which are the top events after the slams on tour. Kvitova's includes Wimbledon, the WTA Championships, and she also won the Fed Cup title.

I guess if one of Sharapova or Azarenka won the AO it wouldnt be that bad, but Kvitova still clearly has a better record in the last year than either even if she loses in the semis here IMO. I think in general everyone considers Kvitova a better player than Azarenka right now too, she was consistently beating her last year when they played, and they played in a number of big matches.