PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

FSfan107
01-24-2012, 04:57 AM
Ok, someone set me straight on the grunting/shrieking.

Do the players do it because that is what they (some of them) were taught to do when they were younger and it becomes habit? I have also heard people claim they do it to distract opponents. I honestly have no idea, so that is why I am asking.

topaz
01-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Clijsters win.

Next match up is with Vika. This is going to be Vika's toughest match of her career. The crowd is going to be heavily behind Kim, they'll be jumping on her from the get go and it will be a hostile environment for her.

Vika has the tools to beat to Kim but will she hold up emotionally and mentally. I hope so.

topaz
01-24-2012, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure if she CAN, with her forehand technique. I mean, even a half-assed Kim is beating her. Though now Woz has 3 Bps :o

I hope Maria, Petra or Vika win this so they can take over the #1 spot.

Caroline has a forehand that can develop into a weapon. She hit some really forehands in this match.

jenny12
01-24-2012, 05:31 AM
:( Caroline. I'm a Kim fan, but I really want to see Caroline break through and finally get that GS. However, Kim hasn't been at her best and she won convincingly.

oleada
01-24-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm intrigued as to who will be #1! Vika, Petra or Maria can all take it.

Maofan7
01-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Congrats Kimmie! - just two matches away from retaining her title

I think this means that Caro now drops to at least 3rd in the world rankings?

Petra heading for number 1. Can't see either Vika or Maria stopping her. Will be a Kim v Petra final

FSfan107
01-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Come on, Roger! I guess I won't be getting much sleep tonight.

topaz
01-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Ok, someone set me straight on the grunting/shrieking.

Do the players do it because that is what they (some of them) were taught to do when they were younger and it becomes habit? I have also heard people claim they do it to distract opponents. I honestly have no idea, so that is why I am asking.

I believe the most of the players that do grunt on every point, its a technique they learned as a kid, its a habit now and it makes them feel more confident and comfortable.

They can attempt to unlearn to grunt but then you're fooling around with something that is ingrained the player and what they feel is part of their game, i.e Maria Sharapova, Vika Azarenka, Monica Seles, Ana Ivanovic,

I've seen Serena grunt louder as the match gets tougher and when she plays more a powerful, competitive player. I've seen her use it as an intimidation technique

oleada
01-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Nike should be happy - just realized Vika, Petra & Maria are all Nike players

Rottie
01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Nadal v. Berdych, beginning of 2nd set . . . so far this is some *amazing* tennis.

Glide2
01-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Did someone already post this... fashion misses

http://tennis.si.com/2012/01/20/australian-open-fashion-misses/

Gave me a giggle. That poor girl in the ruffle dress!

Glad Federer is going thru so commandingly. Rafa needs a little help. BBC says he seems out of sorts. Another tie break.

quintia
01-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh Delpo :(

At least he wasn't double bageled in the quarters by Fed this time...

Lorac
01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
So far the men's side is going to form - Nadal and Federer set to meet in the first semi. Nadal had to dig deep there but once he had levelled the match I felt Berdych was never going to come back and win it - Nadal is just too tough of a fighter. Now let's see if Novak and Murray can also make the semis - I'd be surprised if they don't. There is much more consistency on the men's side of the game.

Now the women's side - well that I have no idea about - it is just so open as no one is really a consistent player or a front runner.

judgejudy27
01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
:shuffle:
Yeah that would explain her playing one of the best tourneys of all time at the 2010 Wimbledon by any player male or female at the ripe old age of 28. She made it to the final of 2011 US open, dominated the US hard court season last year.

I still believe if a Serena plays more tourneys that would help her not being injured as much and her match play.

Serena still does thing about 90% better than the majority of players on the women's tour.

1. There is a big difference between 28 and 30. 30 is when even late bloomers (which Serena isnt) start to really go downhill.

2. Serena has played better than Wimbledon 2010 MANY times in her career. Her ground game wasnt even sharp, which is how she nearly lost sets in 3 of her last 4 rounds. She probably had her best serving tournament ever which is why she still came through each match in straight sets, but her 4th round, quarterfinal, and semifinal opponents all outplayed her off the ground.

3. Yes she made the US Open final but then got taken apart by STOSUR of all people. That was while virtually all the other real threats (Kvitova, Na, Clijsters, Sharapova) were totally out of form and not even winning matches, or were injured and not playing, so there was literally no competition, and she still didnt finish the job.

I am a Serena fan but I am also a realist. I also did not say she wont another big title at some point, but it is highly unlikely she will win alot more, and it is time people get used to the idea she is no longer the one to beat or the dominant player. These are the most big titles players in the Open Era won in their 30s:

Martina Navratilova (latest blooming greater player ever who had only 2 slams by her 25th birthday and ended up as arguably GOAT)- 3

Margaret Court- 3

Billie Jean King- 2

Chris Evert- 2

Steffi Graf- 1

Virginia Wade- 1

Ann Jones- 1

Those are in fact the only slams won by a 30 something women in the Open Era.

Maofan7
01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
1. There is a big difference between 28 and 30. 30 is when even late bloomers (which Serena isnt) start to really go downhill.

2. Serena has played better than Wimbledon 2010 MANY times in her career. Her ground game wasnt even sharp, which is how she nearly lost sets in 3 of her last 4 rounds. She probably had her best serving tournament ever which is why she still came through each match in straight sets, but her 4th round, quarterfinal, and semifinal opponents all outplayed her off the ground.

3. Yes she made the US Open final but then got taken apart by STOSUR of all people. That was while virtually all the other real threats (Kvitova, Na, Clijsters, Sharapova) were totally out of form and not even winning matches, or were injured and not playing, so there was literally no competition, and she still didnt finish the job.

I am a Serena fan but I am also a realist. I also did not say she wont another big title at some point, but it is highly unlikely she will win alot more, and it is time people get used to the idea she is no longer the one to beat or the dominant player. These are the most big titles players in the Open Era won in their 30s:

Martina Navratilova (latest blooming greater player ever who had only 2 slams by her 25th birthday and ended up as arguably GOAT)- 3

Margaret Court- 3

Billie Jean King- 2

Chris Evert- 2

Steffi Graf- 1

Virginia Wade- 1

Ann Jones- 1

Those are in fact the only slams won by a 30 something women in the Open Era.

Great post. Just one minor correction however. Steffi Graf was 9 days short of her 30th birthday when she won her last grand slam. She won the French Open, her last slam, on the 5th June 1999. Her 30th birthday was on the 14th June 1999.

Graf just happens to be my favourite player of all time, and naturally therefore my pick for GOAT!

Martina and Steffi had some absolutely epic battles including the 3 successive Wimbledon finals between 1987-89, the first of which Martina won. Steffi won the final two. The turning of the tide was undoubtedly the 1988 Wimbledon final in which Martina won the first set and then Steffi reeled off 12 of the next 13 games to win the match. She then went on to take the grand slam and Olympic gold later that year. The H2H ended up at 9-9, with Steffi leading 4-2 in grand slam finals. Most of these matches of course took place when Martina was undoubtedly just past her best and Steffi was still up and coming and yet to hit her peak. Hence, the most competitive matches were during the period 1987-88 in which the H2H was 3-2 in Graf's favour. Martina naturally won most of the early matches between 1985-86 with a H2H of 5-1. And then Graf naturally won most of the later matches between 1989-94 when Martina was well past her best, with a H2H of 5-2.