PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69

topaz
06-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Nadal is a big baby and I am glad to see him lose. His attitude is just pathetic.

Oh shut up. Rafa has a good attitude, that's the players looked to him last year and earlier this year to be the spokedman for grievances. Novak is #1 and the others didn't
Look to him nor Roger for leadership

Loves_Shizuka
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM
:lol: The breathing thing CAN'T be true. Anyway it's just what I keep hearing.

In the press conference, Rosol said re:"the bump" : "It's ok, he wanted to take my concentration; I knew he would try something". He also said he "felt sorry" for him.

Deary me.

oleada
06-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Sorry, but in this match alone, he complained to the chair about Rosol's behavior, bumped into Rosol and also attempted to slow down play by taking forever while it was Rosol who was serving. That's hardly a good attitude, without even going into his other issues (such as complaining on having to pay taxes on his winnings, for one)

london_calling
06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
The "bump" was unbelievable to me. Every player has a bad day where they act less than professional. But that was bizarre.

topaz
06-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Sorry, but in this match alone, he complained to the chair about Rosol's behavior, bumped into Rosol and also attempted to slow down play by taking forever while it was Rosol who was serving. That's hardly a good attitude, without even going into his other issues (such as complaining on having to pay taxes on his winnings, for one)

Have you played competitive tennis or a sport?

topaz
06-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Most players have deliberate movements and rituals between points. Also, its about control. All the players have there ways of doing this. Some players like to play fast. If one player does not, it is up to the player gather themselves and to not be rushed. If Rafa time was beyond the limit, referee should/could violations.

topaz
06-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Wth are you talking about? Do you insider's in Rafa camp. Are you referring to issues that were addressed at the players council.

BigB08822
06-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Wtf are you talking about? Do you insider's in Rafa camp. Are you referring to issues that were addressed at the players council.

They watched the match? :confused: I saw all of this and I just watched 15 minutes of the match. They were even replaying the bump!! Why are you so up in arms about something that is so obvious to everyone else?

Unless you are only referring to the comment about taxes but you quoted everything...

Cloudy_Gumdrops
06-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Damn, Rafa is gone. There goes a lot of my interest.

I hope Novak is bounced (can't get into him) and I'm actually rooting for Federer for once.

duane
06-29-2012, 01:55 AM
The biggest winner out of this upset is Andy Murray.
Nadal was Murray's last worry! He has his own MONSTER qtrs draw to worry about. I actually don't think he'll make the semis.

But wow, this upset is HUGE--among the biggest in tennis history. Rosol has the closing of the roof to thank. It allowed him to regain the focus that he had lost, and come out smokin in the deciding set.

oleada
06-29-2012, 03:34 AM
Have you played competitive tennis or a sport?

What does that have to do with anything discussed here? :rolleyes:

Wth are you talking about? Do you insider's in Rafa camp. Are you referring to issues that were addressed at the players council.

No, I'm talking about issues that came up during the match. The game is played at the server's pace. In the last set, Rosol was waiting for 15-20 secs for Nadal to be ready - during Rosol's own service games. Yes, it's crap officiating, but it's also bad form from Nadal. Obviously, the bump and Nadal's complaining were already discussed.

As for the tax complaints, here's a link to that:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2011/10/14/nadal-declines-to-play-in-uk-tourney-citing-tax-laws/

allezfred
06-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty neutral on Nadal and I have to say I've never ever seen him be as unsportsmanlike as he was last night. It was not good.

kylet3
06-29-2012, 03:29 PM
:mad::mad::mad: Milos... really?! You lost to Querry?? Granted Querry did play well and played the better points better, but Milos clearly isn't ready for the big time yet. He made way too many errors and didn't take advantage of his chances when he had set points. Plain and simple, he blew it. He can and should be a medal contender at the Olympics, but he won't. Full credit to Sam for holding his nerve today, Milos was terrible.

topaz
06-29-2012, 03:40 PM
What does that have to do with anything discussed here? :rolleyes:

No, I'm talking about issues that came up during the match. The game is played at the server's pace. In the last set, Rosol was waiting for 15-20 secs for Nadal to be ready - during Rosol's own service games. Yes, it's crap officiating, but it's also bad form from Nadal. Obviously, the bump and Nadal's complaining were already discussed.

As a former a tennis player, I'l tell why it matters. Singles tennis players all have rituals and things they all do on the court. As a tennis player, it's about control and imposing your will on the opponent. This is a mental as a physical sport. Most players aren't going to allow another player "rush" them into a return game. Most player are going to take their own time when approaching the service line for a return.

The returner is suppose to go by the server's pace. That's fine in non competitive or playing for fun. As a person who has played junior, high school tennis I can let you all coaches teach players to "take their time", adjust you racquet and mentally prepare for how you are going to return/play the next shot.

The bump, not good gamesmanship by Rafa but it was not over the top and I don't think it interfered with the result of the match. But he could have behaved better. However, I thought both players displayed gamesmanship issues and taunted each other.

As for the tax complaints, here's a link to that:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2011/10/14/nadal-declines-to-play-in-uk-tourney-citing-tax-laws/

The link you are referring to is something the many players on the council were discussing. It was Rafa making a gesture as the VP of the council at that time. Players who aren’t inside the top-20, don’t have any money, except for the prize money. They have to pay for their travel, coaching and other services out of their own pockets. This Rafa's stance and showing solidity as the VP of council for the many other players. Did you notice the players at the Aegon Championships this year? Murray(he has to), Tsonga and Roddick. The players at this year's Halle Germany were Federer, Nadal, Berdych, Raonic.

This was the first year Rafa didn't play Queens baring no injury.

Also, I've read that the tax bureaucracy with British law where the British government taxes Nadal's sponsors (Nike, Babolat) and those sponsors then pass on the losses to Nadal. If this is true, perhaps and most likely it's a case of Nadal's sponsors being dissatisfied with how the British government are taxing them, and urging Nadal not to play a ATP 250 event like Queen's Club. I'm still trying to find more information on this but if it is true, I'd be willing to bet other players were in the same situation. Especially those who don't have they clothing/equipment companies pick up some of the tabs.

Both line, they don't make any money playing the smaller UK events. I've read other athletes don't compete in the UK events as well due to the UK Tax issue.

So the link you provided isn't the whole story. Did you know the most of the top men's players wanted to boycott Indians Wells and Miami due to the issues the council wants addressed, ie. prize money, mandatory tourneys, 11 month scheduling and ranking system.

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-04-10/9291.phphttp://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-04-10/9291.php

http://letsecondserve.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-05-26T14:22:00%2B03:00&max-results=7

If you or other's would like other articles I've seen on this issue or the issues regarding the player's grievances I would be happy to provide them.

topaz
06-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Sloane Stephen went down in 3 to Sabine L. Again Sloane didn't take her chances when she have. :( She only 19, so hopefully she'll grown from these experiences.

She's made to the 4th round(R16) at the French and 3rd round at Wimbledon. She's starting to consistently do well tourneys. Now she can prepare for US open.

But good win for Sabine L. She serviced well in the 3rd set.