PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

twinsissv
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
OH JEEZ!!!
I thought the problem of the ladies who insist on screaming and shrieking on every point throughout the matches was supposed to be "addressed" by those in charge during the off-season. Oh really? I seem to be hearing the very same ladies doing the very same thing. As a matter of fact, I think they've turned up the volume! What the heck? Even veteran players complain about it (thank you, Chris Evert). Once again I'll be missing the commentators remarks while my mute button and I become best friends. Sheesh! :mad:

judgejudy27
01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
With this group of ladies I would never say never. If Serena is out and a few others have problems or bad days then she could sneak into the finals somehow and once there just play lights out and hope for the best. Very unlikely though.

True. I just dont think Kim is a very good grass courter though. Even someone like Henin I considered a much better grass courter and she never won a major title on grass. Someone like Kvitova would crush Kim on grass if she plays up to par, and Sharapova, Lisicki, Azarenka, or Na on a decent day would beat her comfortably on the surface IMO. As you said though with the current womens field crazier things have happened.

Rottie
01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Enjoyed the Nishikori v. Tsonga match yesterday if for no other reason than I like both players and was going to be happy whoever won. Nishikori was by far the steadier player and totally deserved the win, IMO.

Fell asleep early in the Hewitt v. Djokavic match, but I see Hewitt won a set! That's quite an achievement. (I'm one of the maybe three people in the world who love Hewitt's tennis.)

Rottie
01-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Azarenka: Hits the ball really, really hard until she makes an error. Boring. And I've stopped believing the shriek comes from her. Instead I think it comes from the ball when she hits it, as its crescendo and decrescendo seem to follow the ball's trajectory the length of the court.

topaz
01-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Serena is 30 years old now. No players win alot of big titles at that age. People need to get used to thinking of her in the twilight stage of her career. People already think that way of Venus.

:shuffle:
Yeah that would explain her playing one of the best tourneys of all time at the 2010 Wimbledon by any player male or female at the ripe old age of 28. She made it to the final of 2011 US open, dominated the US hard court season last year.

I still believe if a Serena plays more tourneys that would help her not being injured as much and her match play.

Serena still does thing about 90% better than the majority of players on the women's tour.

topaz
01-24-2012, 03:08 AM
OH JEEZ!!!
I thought the problem of the ladies who insist on screaming and shrieking on every point throughout the matches was supposed to be "addressed" by those in charge during the off-season. Oh really? I seem to be hearing the very same ladies doing the very same thing. As a matter of fact, I think they've turned up the volume! What the heck? Even veteran players complain about it (thank you, Chris Evert). Once again I'll be missing the commentators remarks while my mute button and I become best friends. Sheesh! :mad:

What are you going to tell them? To stop shrieking or we'll take points away for you? Give them code violations?:rolleyes:

They've been talking about grunting since Monica Seles. They complained about her the 90, 92 Wimbledons. So badly that players complained to the umpire and the London tabloids had "Gruntometers" to measure her loudness. and when she played in the finals 1992 and didn't play her best match. One of Some of the blame is because she worried about not grunting than concentrating on playing her game.

I would say the majority of them it out of habit. Its a learned behavior and part of their game since they were youngsters learning the game. It helped the players learn how to breathe through shots which aided them when hitting the balls. . It is going to be extremely difficult to curb the grunting with players like Sharapova, Azarenka, William Sisters, Ivanovic, heck 60% of the tour.

All the tennis associations and coaches can do now is attempt to stop the habit from forming in younger players and teach a different technique.

Watching the Aussie open I hope its not true the crowd getting on Vika and not cheering for her because of her grunting.

topaz
01-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Vika comes back and wins in great fashion.:respec:

Vika's confidence in her playing is simply outstanding. Great fight that girl with an incredible game go with it.

Tough conditions for her today with the weather and the crowd, but she persevered.

oleada
01-24-2012, 03:23 AM
YAY VIKA :cheer2:
I was worried about her after the first set, but she has really worked on her mindset and just steamrolled Radwanska.

hydro
01-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Can't believe I would ever say this, but out of the remaining 8, I'm rooting for Azarenka to win it. Her game has really come together, and I'm so impressed with her variety and consistency.

oleada
01-24-2012, 03:37 AM
I'll be fine with any of Azarenka, Sharapova or Kvitova winning. Though, if it's an Azarenka & Sharapova final, complimentary ear protection should be handed out to spectators.

topaz
01-24-2012, 03:40 AM
I'll be fine with any of Azarenka, Sharapova or Kvitova winning. Though, if it's an Azarenka & Sharapova final, complimentary ear protection should be handed out to spectators.

I don't know why Vika takes the most heat for her grunting but Maria S does not. Nor did the crown mock Maria.

topaz
01-24-2012, 03:42 AM
Also, Caroline W needs a new coach. She needs to be more aggressive in her play. Playing like a backboard is not going to win her a glam slam.

oleada
01-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Also, Caroline W needs a new coach. She needs to be more aggressive in her play. Playing like a backboard is not going to win her a glam slam.

But she does have a new coach. On paper, at least. Papa's probably still calling the shots backstage....

BigB08822
01-24-2012, 04:39 AM
I don't understand why Woz doesn't play more aggressively in these deeper rounds. I know that isn't her style but doesn't she realize she has gone this long without winning any Slams playing her defensive style? What does she have to lose? Another loss in the QF of a Slam could only be made better by the fact that she at least tried to win and dictate play. Even if she loses it will be no worse than she has been doing. Wake up and begin playing tennis or go home and play on your Wii. I care nothing about her so not sure why I want her to realize this but I don't want her to look back on her career and think "what if..."

oleada
01-24-2012, 04:42 AM
I'm not sure if she CAN, with her forehand technique. I mean, even a half-assed Kim is beating her. Though now Woz has 3 Bps :o

I hope Maria, Petra or Vika win this so they can take over the #1 spot.