PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Loves_Shizuka
06-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Just heard Andy Roddick scream "TOWEL! NOW!" at a poor ballboy. When did he become such an arrogant twat? :blah:

About nine years ago.

Rottie
06-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks, UMBS!

Jayar
06-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Both Sloane and Venus had the same chance to qualify for the Olympics...and Venus took it , even with much less play.

Agreed. But something is obviously wrong with Venus, and I would rather see someone who is on the upswing go to the Olympics. I LOVE me some Venus, but I don't want to see her play like that in the Olys.

judgejudy27
06-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Venus probably stayed in this long only to play in the Olympics. By some miracle she could catch fire and do damage in singles, it is on grass after all. Doubles she obviously can be a threat still, and she was included in the team mostly for the Venus-Serena doubles tandem probably, and as neither Huber or Raymond would ever play singles of course that means she gets to play singles too. There isnt a wing or prayer Sloane would win a medal in any category at the Olympics, and she couldnt even beat out a barely playing and struggling Venus to qualify. Why on earth should Venus WD for her.

Lorac
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Congrats to Heather Watson for making it through to the 3rd round - first Brit to do so this year and first time a british woman has done so since 2002 (I think). :encore:

miffy
06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Congrats to Heather Watson for making it through to the 3rd round - first Brit to do so this year and first time a british woman has done so since 2002 (I think). :encore:

Yes, it was actually Elena Baltacha who did it 10 years ago and before that Sam Smith made the 4th round (98 I think?) and then never did anything again. :o

So happy for Heather, I think getting past the 3rd seed might be too much for her, but hopefully she will play well. She has done fantastically this week. :cheer:

aftershocks
06-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Is it bye bye then to the traditional Wimbledon theme music used by NBC for so many years? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syNT9rkjDs4

So far I can't get into the music ESPN is using. The tennis has been interesting tho' with upsets galore.

ETA:

Venus probably stayed in this long only to play in the Olympics... There isnt a wing or prayer Sloane would win a medal in any category at the Olympics, and she couldnt even beat out a barely playing and struggling Venus to qualify. Why on earth should Venus WD for her.

I didn't know there were qualifying matches played to make the U.S. Olympic team. Maybe Sloane was feeling somewhat in awe of Venus, or else the height difference was a factor in their match? Sloane seems to be a very talented up-and-coming player with some explosive shot-making. She was tested today at Wimbledon, particularly in the first set, and won.

I wish Venus luck in battling the strange disease, Sjogren's syndrome. What up with all these weird diseases few people have heard of? Nora Ephron died of something called myelodysplasia. (I had a brother-in-law who was struck down in his prime by multiple myeloma coupled with amyloidosis --the combination is rare, incurable and deadly). Geraldine Ferraro suffered from multiple myeloma w/o the amyloidosis; so too did former baseball pitcher/ pitching coach, Mel Stottlemyre. I also learned last year about an older friend who is suffering from a neurological disorder called supranuclear palsy, which in the early stages has similar symptoms to Parkinson's disease.

At least the disease Venus has appears to be treatable and it hasn't threatened her ability to live, tho' it has inevitably impacted the longevity of her career. I do admire Venus for her courage in
battling this illness, and refusing to give up when she received the diagnosis last year.

Jayar
06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
I didn't know there were qualifying matches played to make the U.S. Olympic team. Maybe Sloane was feeling somewhat in awe of Venus, or else the height difference was a factor in their match? Sloane seems to be a very talented up-and-coming player with some explosive shot-making. She was tested today at Wimbledon, particularly in the first set, and won.

There was no qualifying tournament for the Olys. It was strictly by ranking? Though Venus is barely ranked above Sloane, Sloane is ranked ahead of her for this season. Venus is obviously not in form, and an acknowledgment of at would be better than slopping it up next month in London.

Loves_Shizuka
06-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Paszek is great to watch. Lovely game.

Watson :cheer2:

oleada
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Paszek! :cheer: Good for her. I remember her awesome match against JJ in Australia a few years ago with those insane match point saves from Jelena.

Wozniacki out in the first round, and Stosur out in the second to Aranxta Rus. Rus has had some really good results in slams lately...

Loves_Shizuka
06-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I was impressed with Paszek in Eastbourne. Now I think I love her. lol. That was EXCITING. Great match :cheer2:

^and yes, Rus is another fave of mine too. :D

jenny12
06-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Well-deserved win for Paszek, but ouch for Wozniacki. Definitely an entertaining match though.

Lorac
06-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I was impressed with Paszek in Eastbourne. Now I think I love her. lol. That was EXCITING. Great match :cheer2:

^and yes, Rus is another fave of mine too. :D

Two top 10 seeds gone from the womens side today. Sad to see Stosur go but Rus played well - especially coming back in that 3rd set after being bageled in the 2nd set. Was delighted to see Paszek win - she is just tenascious and could go far in the torney. Wozniacki still relies much too much on her opponent making an error rather than her playing a winning shot so was not sad to see her go.

I assume with the roof they will still get Djokovic's match in tonight!!

Loves_Shizuka
06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
^yes Nole will get on tonight :D

topaz
06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Was delighted to see Paszek win - she is just tenascious and could go far in the torney. Wozniacki still relies much too much on her opponent making an error rather than her playing a winning shot so was not sad to see her go.

I agree Paszek is tough player and can beat anyone when she's playing her best. She has the skills to be a top 10 player, she just needs more consistency.

Rus has been playing well this year and I don't know why but grass is not a good surface for Stosur. I think it's because of the lack of variety to her game, Stosur is not the best mover and she lacks a slice stroke. However, she volleys well and I don't know Stosur doesn't serve/volley more.

Maria is in a dog fight. Pironkova is tough customer. She's outhitting Maria and controlling the points with very deep shots. She is running Maria from side to side. Maria needs to still work on her movement and her shot variety. Also, she doesn't like to go to the net and she needs to.