PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

miffy
06-26-2012, 01:32 PM
I can't wait to find out if they give an Olympic wildcard (or 2) to the British Ladiezzzzz. According to this article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2164326/London-Olympics-2012-Elena-Baltacha-faces-wait-wildcard-place.html) Anne Keothavong has got an Olympic place because she is ranked highest, but Elena Baltacha had held the No 1 for 2.5 years until the week the ranking was taken! Now there is apparently some lobbying for Elena to be given a wildcard... personally I would like to see Heather Watson considered as well. The BBC said the wildcards would be decided on Thursday, so now is their last chance to impress... Laura Robson is ranked 2nd but it doesn't look like she will win her match today.

Anne is currently ranked 77, then Laura 97, Elena 101 and Heather 103... so very close...

Are there any international players likely to get wildcards who haven't qualified due to illness/injury? I know a couple have already been awarded to countries who didn't qualify a player.

milanessa
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Rain :(

oleada
06-26-2012, 03:53 PM
I can't wait to find out if they give an Olympic wildcard (or 2) to the British Ladiezzzzz. According to this article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2164326/London-Olympics-2012-Elena-Baltacha-faces-wait-wildcard-place.html) Anne Keothavong has got an Olympic place because she is ranked highest, but Elena Baltacha had held the No 1 for 2.5 years until the week the ranking was taken! Now there is apparently some lobbying for Elena to be given a wildcard... personally I would like to see Heather Watson considered as well. The BBC said the wildcards would be decided on Thursday, so now is their last chance to impress... Laura Robson is ranked 2nd but it doesn't look like she will win her match today.

Anne is currently ranked 77, then Laura 97, Elena 101 and Heather 103... so very close...

Are there any international players likely to get wildcards who haven't qualified due to illness/injury? I know a couple have already been awarded to countries who didn't qualify a player.

I think that really sucks for Elena, but I'm not sure she's more deserving of a WC than other players, other than the fact that she's British.

Two female players that I know of have received Tripartite Commission Invitations - which are for players whose countries are not well represented at the Olympics: Stephanie Vogt of Liechtenstein and Veronica Cepede Royg of Paraguay.

Speaking of long matches - Christina McHale is another one who's always in them!

beepbeep
06-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Frustration, thy name is Thomaz Bellucci :wall:
He could give Nadal some work, but no, let's give it all up at 4-0

kylet3
06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
I think that really sucks for Elena, but I'm not sure she's more deserving of a WC than other players, other than the fact that she's British.

Two female players that I know of have received Tripartite Commission Invitations - which are for players whose countries are not well represented at the Olympics: Stephanie Vogt of Liechtenstein and Veronica Cepede Royg of Paraguay.

Speaking of long matches - Christina McHale is another one who's always in them!

Personally I'd really like to see it go to Elena, she's had some good results at Wimbledon before, for the better part of a couple years has been and overall was really solid until the last little bit. She's got a fantastic serve and has really had to battle through injury and illness, so she's my pick along with Anne to get spots in the Olympics. Laura Robson is a brat and Heather Watson hasn't proven herself yet. So I hope it's those two.

oleada
06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
It doesn't matter anyway - looks like Baltacha is in :)

http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/news/articles/london-2012-itf-announces-entries-for-olympic-tennis-event.aspx

kylet3
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Canada so far is entered in all events! :eek::D

Canadian Tennis these days is in one of the best places it's ever been. Milos Raonic is rising so quickly, Aleks Wozniak has foughten back after nasty injuries the last two years, Stephie Dubois gets to play the Olympics even if it is just in Doubles and Vasek gets a chance to play singles along with Daniel Nestor in dubs! I'm so stoked, we've never been stronger :)

Aaron MB Fan
06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Canada so far is entered in all events! :eek::D

Canadian Tennis these days is in one of the best places it's ever been. Milos Raonic is rising so quickly, Aleks Wozniak has foughten back after nasty injuries the last two years, Stephie Dubois gets to play the Olympics even if it is just in Doubles and Vasek gets a chance to play singles along with Daniel Nestor in dubs! I'm so stoked, we've never been stronger :)

Not to mention Nestor keeps rockin it too! I wonder if Nestor and Wozniak will get to play Mixed Doubles when they announce the draw?

kylet3
06-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Not to mention Nestor keeps rockin it too! I wonder if Nestor and Wozniak will get to play Mixed Doubles when they announce the draw?

That's what I was hoping! I really hope so because they could really do some damage there as well, they played a year or two ago at the Aussie Open mixed and came within a whisker of defeating the eventual champions, so if they get it in, I think there's an outside shot there too. Daniel Nestor, I think is one of the most underappreciate athletes Canada has ever had. Guaranteed 4/5 people here could be asked and wouldn't know who he is or what he does. His accomplishments in doubles are beyond anything most players could hope to accomplish, the Olympic Gold, all those Grand Slams, and masters wins, and yet he's so underappreciated.

miffy
06-26-2012, 06:57 PM
It doesn't matter anyway - looks like Baltacha is in :)

http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/news/articles/london-2012-itf-announces-entries-for-olympic-tennis-event.aspxThat's great, and Heather (with Laura) is in the doubles so all 4 girls get to go - I think they will all be delighted. :cheer:

UMBS Go Blue
06-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Two quick vBets, closing soon :bribe:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84075
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84076

allezfred
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Just heard Andy Roddick scream "TOWEL! NOW!" at a poor ballboy. When did he become such an arrogant twat? :blah:

kylet3
06-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Just heard Andy Roddick scream "TOWEL! NOW!" at a poor ballboy. When did he become such an arrogant twat? :blah:

I thought he's always been that way... :scream:

Jayar
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Sloane Stephens first US lady through 6-2, 6-2 Win. Vania King lost.

Am I the only one who thinks that Venus should gracefully bow out of the Olympics and let Sloane compete?

oleada
06-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Both Sloane and Venus had the same chance to qualify for the Olympics...and Venus took it , even with much less play.