PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

hydro
06-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Serena was fined, but she didn't lose the prize money or ranking points, correct?

But I think both punishments were correct. It's understandable for players to become angry and lose it, but Nalbandian's antics resulted in injury (not serious, but an injury nevertheless) and damaged property, so the loss of prize money and ranking points are justified. But I think the punishment should end there.

I believe Serena lost prize money, lost ranking points, and was on probation for two years. She also had to write an official apology letter.

Serena Williams was fined a record amount for her infamous U.S. Open tirade three months ago and has been placed on an unprecedented two-year probationary period at Grand Slam events. She will have to pay an $82,500 fine and avoid a "major offense" at the next eight major events or the fine would increase to $175,000 and she would be barred from the following U.S. Open.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Serena-Williams-earns-fine-probation-for-U-S-O?urn=ten,205588

OnyxRose81
06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Wimbledon draw is out: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/draws/ms/r1s4.html

Bye, Murray. :o

Loves_Shizuka
06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
^you think he's going to lose to Davydenko?

Rottie
06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
The bottom half of the men's draw seems a lot tougher than the top half.

It's hard to see the men's final being anyone but Nadal v. Djokovic and the women's final being anyone but Sharapova v. S. Williams, unless Williams does a version of what she did in the French.

Fergus
06-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Just wanna take a sec and :cheer2: AndyRoo for his 600th career win (http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/tennis/andy-roddick-earns-600th-career-win.html). :) Just wish it wasn't b/c of an opponent's retirement. :( Hoping Steve gets well soon!

Anyone following the India tennis drama? :drama: :watch:

Domshabfan
06-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Anyone following the India tennis drama? :drama: :watch:

I am tired of reading about it.

Loves_Shizuka
06-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Well I haven't read/heard ANYTHING about it! Do tell! :watch:

OnyxRose81
06-23-2012, 07:08 PM
^you think he's going to lose to Davydenko?

Not Davydenko because even when Davy was in his prime, he was beyond pitiful on grass. It's everyone else in his quarters that threatens him, Raonic especially.

Fergus
06-23-2012, 07:42 PM

The Indian Tennis Fed wanted to force Leander Paes & Mahesh Bhupathi together as an Olympics doubles team......

....but apparently, they aren't even on speaking terms. Bhupathi wants to play with Bopanna.

Oy, the whole thing is turning so crazy and sordid. :yikes:

They're gonna send two men's doubles teams and Bhupathi is also scheduled for the mixed with Mirza.

If you Google "India tennis", you get the motherload of articles.

Domshabfan
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Background : Leander Paes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leander_Paes) and Mahesh Bhupathi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahesh_Bhupathi) were once best of friends, on and off court:o. They were ranked No.1 in world and won few doubles grand slams together. Then the egos clashed and the broke up:fragile:, and paired up with different partners. Though they would play for India at both Olympics and Davis cup ties. This was until the appearance of Rohan Bopanna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohan_Bopanna). Rohan started to get successful with his pakistani doubles partner Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisam-ul-Haq_Qureshi) (I had to google this dude's name). The Indo-pakistani pair started getting successful and started wining few titles and reaching a grand slam doubles final.

Mahesh approached Rohan a year ago and decided to pair up together(this is after yet another Mahesh and Leander makeup session gone sour). This was largely for Olympics preparation and allowing them to settle in together as a doubles pair. (Mahesh Checkmates Leader ).

To add to this India's only real female tennis player ever ( even that should be questioned), Sania Mirza also played together with Mahesh. So technically Leader did not have a good doubles or Mixed doubles partner in India.

Now the present drama: As the deadline for each NOC to nominate their entries approached. Leader insisted that he, being the best ranked doubles player in India gets the pick on his doubles partner. So he initially insisted on having Mahesh as his partner, Mahesh refuses. Then he approaches Bopanna, Bopanna too refuses, and the media circus begins. The problem in all this is AITA (all india tennis association) is siding with Leander :roll eyes:. AITA was also only willing to send one team initially , when India could potentially have send two. Ministry of sports interferes and inquires why AITA insists on sending one team and not allow Leander to team up with lower ranked player. This is not acceptable to Leander.

AITA has also allowed Leader to pair up with Sania Mirza. Mirza has no say in the matter since her singles ranking has dropped and she is outside the top in doubles.Sania needs AITA to request for a wildcard for her on the basis of her doubles ranking.
The funniest part in all this is Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi would have been India's best chance for a medal at Olympics since Sania and Mahesh just won the French open Mixed doubles title. Thanks to stupid rule created by ITF which means that they would need help from AITA for such a pairing to go ahead. Since Sania and Mahesh rankings are outside top 10, they won't get entry. ITF is trying more and more singles players to compete as a pairing hence a grand slam mixed doubles champion will not get an entry (or is at the mercy of NOC requesting for an entry, which ITF can just refuse).

Loves_Shizuka
06-23-2012, 07:47 PM
^Ah thank you Fergus and DSfan!

It's all very... :watch:

Haven't Bhupathi/Paes been hating on each other on and off for years?! I hear Leander is ..erm.. a character.

duane
06-24-2012, 02:47 AM
It's hard to see the men's final being anyone but Nadal v. Djokovic...
I disagree. Nadal being in the final, yes. With 5 consecutive Wimbledon finals, he has established himself as the player to beat. But tho Novak is the defending champion, his overall Wimbledon/grasscourt record isn't that great. And, he isn't playing with the confidence that he was last year.

Federer? As much as I would LOVE Roger to win Wimbledon, I'm not all that confident with his back-to-back quarter-final appearances (blowing a 2 set-love lead last year to Tsonga). Roger clearly has the easiest draw of the top 4 leading to the semis, and I think he can beat Novak if they both make the semis. But unless someone takes Nadal out early, I think Roger will have to wait until the USO to win another slam title.

duane
06-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Nalbandian news:

The ATP announced today that no further disciplinary action will be taken against David Nalbandian, who was defaulted last Sunday from the final of the AEGON Championships at Queen’s Club. Nalbandian was sanctioned approximately USD $70,000 in prize money and fines, and 150 ranking points for unsportsmanlike conduct. After a review of the incident, the ATP determined that although David’s actions were unacceptable and under ATP rules warranted an automatic default, the injury to the linesman was unintentional. As such, it was decided that the sanctions already levied against David are sufficient in this case.

Coco
06-24-2012, 11:40 PM
wow - I might have been ok with that decision were it not for the lame a$$ statement.

The injury was unintentional??? The linesman was RIGHT THERE. It was impossible for him to not be assaulted in some way due to Nalbandian's actions.

Unbelievable.

BigB08822
06-25-2012, 12:31 AM
I can't possibly see how it was intentional. He made a rash and stupid decision to kick the BASEBOARDS and that, unfortunately, resulted in injuring the lines judge. It was more than possible for the lines judge to be uninjured. For example, if the boards had not broken then he would have not been touched. I don't think it is safe at all to assume Nalbandian intended to hit the board so hard that it would break and then slice the mans leg open. That is a pretty big stretch. We can easily say "but any one in their right mind would know that was a possible outcome" but this happened in an instant, not with premeditated thought.