PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Rottie
06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Whoa. Melanie Oudin just defeated Cirstea in first round at Queen's Club. Not that Cirstea is top ten or anything, but she's a quality opponent. Maybe Oudin will will get her belief back.

topaz
06-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Djokovic got the AO. Nadal got the FO. If Federer could get another Wimbledon title *or* and Olympic gold and Murray could get the USO, and maybe Del Potro could get another big win in there somewhere, I would be so happy. It'd be like Christmas, one present for everyone. :)

Del Porto is having knee issues, per his performance in the quarters against Roger. After he called the trainer, he wasn't the same player.

Del Porto has to get his body together first. If he can stay healthy, next year he'll be picture.

However, Tsonga keeps getting close too.

topaz
06-12-2012, 11:58 PM
I think Murray has a great chance to win some grand slams. He's improving his game and I think Lendl's coaching will start to get through and improve his game mentally. He has the game to beat the top 3, especially Djokovic. Murray should have won that match at the Aussie Open.

london_calling
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I admittedly don't follow Mixed Doubles at all but this whole article (http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/tennis/mixed-doubles-makes-a-comeback-in-olympic-tennis.html)is making me give the event (and several players) the side-eye:

"It's fun to serve as hard as I can against the women. If I ever get the chance to play for Olympic gold, I'm not going to take it easy."

"You've got to have a good attitude," Bob said. "Weird stuff can happen. You can lose your mind a little bit. You try to keep it light with your partner, not talk too much about tennis, talk about other stuff. You want to keep the girl loose and happy. That's the key."

"They take it pretty seriously," Mike said. "They can get a little tight, a little insecure, because every ball is coming at them. Sometimes it's just who's the better woman, because you're hitting every ball at her."

:slinkaway

Fergus
06-13-2012, 10:54 PM
^ :yikes:

Boys, that sounds rather Neanderthalish. :(

However, it does continue to say: That sort of attitude isn't sexist, American doubles veteran Lisa Raymond said, but merely part of the game.

"It's all fair. I mean, it's a business," said Raymond, who has won four Grand Slam mixed doubles titles. "If it means having to go at the girl, the guy needs to do it. I wouldn't have any hard feelings. They're out there to win the title, just as I am."

Gil-Galad
06-13-2012, 11:00 PM
While it sounds a little rude and patronising, it's probably just the truth. Who had the idea to make this Olympic than?

london_calling
06-14-2012, 12:28 AM
^ :yikes:

Boys, that sounds rather Neanderthalish. :(

However, it does continue to say: That sort of attitude isn't sexist, American doubles veteran Lisa Raymond said, but merely part of the game.

"It's all fair. I mean, it's a business," said Raymond, who has won four Grand Slam mixed doubles titles. "If it means having to go at the girl, the guy needs to do it. I wouldn't have any hard feelings. They're out there to win the title, just as I am."

That's why I'm wondering why mixed doubles exists at all.

Fergus
06-14-2012, 02:58 AM
I suppose in ye olden tennis days, those with sub-100mph serves and dinky little wooden racquets, it was an extension of the genteel social conventions of the day.

"Oh, I say, Lady Guinevere, would you do me the honor of being my partner at a wee game of lawn tennis?"
"Oh, Sir Nigel, I would be delighted! But do be gentle on our opponents, I would not want the Countess of Dingleberry to have her ankles exposed!"

That sorta thing. ;)

Nowadays, it's like bloody dodgeball. :yikes: :lol:

It does get championship titles for players who wouldn't ever have a shot at a singles title, so I'm all for it in that regard. :)

Rottie
06-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Mahut d. Murray. Good grief. Hope Murray gets some rest and some treatment or whatever he needs.

Oudin has won two in a row.

Fergus
06-14-2012, 03:09 PM
For the tennis freaks/history nerds amongst us: Tennis: A Cultural History (http://www.amazon.com/Tennis-Cultural-History-Heiner-Gillmeister/dp/081473121X).

Very interesting read. :)

Lorac
06-15-2012, 04:12 PM
So happy!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Nadal's in the draw for Halle. Is he really going straight there to play? It'd be okay if he withdrew--really.

He didn't withdraw but was just beaten in the quarters by Philip Kohlschreiber in straight sets. Not really surprised as I think he was drained from the FO final. He got some grass prep in but can now rest up prior to Wimbledon.

skatesindreams
06-15-2012, 06:13 PM
That's why I'm wondering why mixed doubles exists at all.

It was, originally. a "social" game.

kylet3
06-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Milos :wuzrobbed, you almost had it against Fed!

Definitely a contender for a medal at the Olympics.

Rottie
06-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Oudin's into finals of Aegon Classic (Birmingham), probably against Jankovic. Oudin had to qualify for this event, so she's won a whole string of matches in a row.

Loves_Shizuka
06-17-2012, 01:12 PM
^I think it's the semi she's into - she's due to play Makarova. Jie Zheng awaits the winner of Jankovic/Doi.