PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

topaz
05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I know Serena pulled out of the tourney b4 this one with a back injury.

FSfan107
05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
I never really bought Serena as the favorite to win the French Open, even with her being successful recently on clay. It's hard to believe she lost this match though, being up 5-1 in the 2nd set tie-breaker.

Maria will be sending Razzano flowers.

topaz
05-29-2012, 08:21 PM
The draw is virtually smooth sailing for Maria S. She'll get through to the final without any obstacles.

topaz
05-29-2012, 08:31 PM
I never really bought Serena as the favorite to win the French Open, even with her being successful recently on clay. It's hard to believe she lost this match though, being up 5-1 in the 2nd set tie-breaker.

Maria will be sending Razzano flowers.

Hmmm, I did. She's been to two finals and a won in 02. She won in Rome or Madrid against Vika A. I had picked Serena to win this tourney.

My mom said Serena broke down and cried after losing the tie break.

FSfan107
05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Hmmm, I did. She's been to two finals and a won in 02. She won in Rome or Madrid against Vika A. I had picked Serena to win this tourney.

My mom said Serena broke down and cried after losing the tie break.

I thought she had a decent chance at winning. I just didn't see her as big a favorite as some in the media had her as, let's put it that way.

judgejudy27
05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
The draw is virtually smooth sailing for Maria S. She'll get through to the final without any obstacles.

Actually that half of the draw is by FAR the tougher half, even with Serena now out. It is Azarenka who was given the cakewalk draw to the final unless she poops the bed, not Maria. There are many potential obstacles for Maria in that half. Including Li Na who playing at about 20% and choking up a storm still should have beaten her in the Rome final recently. It wouldnt surprise me at all if Maria makes the final or even wins now that Serena is out but it is no gimme at this point, especialy with her recent history in slams.

oleada
05-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm in shock, just caught up with the results. Kudos to Razzano! I think Maria is the bigfavorite now bt I won't count vida, Petra or aga out.

Lorac
05-29-2012, 08:50 PM
I thought she had a decent chance at winning. I just didn't see her as big a favorite as some in the media had her as, let's put it that way.

I agree - I fully expected her to make the 2nd week at least and meet up with Sharapova in the quarters. This is without doubt the biggest shock in recent years in the womens side. It's almost as if she gave up after losing that 2nd round tie-break and that isn't something Serena does in the Grand Slams - I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about an injury in the near future :(

Loves_Shizuka
05-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I feel kinda sad for Serena :( I think she's going to take this hard.

But massive congrats to Razzano! She's been through alot, and this will be the most amazing moment of her career.

Maria must be rubbing her hands with glee.

Personally, I want a Li Na repeat!

hydro
05-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I feel kinda sad for Serena :( I think she's going to take this hard.

But massive congrats to Razzano! She's been through alot, and this will be the most amazing moment of her career.

Maria must be rubbing her hands with glee.

Personally, I want a Li Na repeat!

Yeah, can't believe Serena was stunned like that. It seems so strange since she is usually a fighter in matches. When was the last time Serena lost a match after winning the first set? It seems like she really did crumble after that tie-break.

Sharapova will probably get her career-grand slam now. If she doesn't make the final, I think it'll be a shock.

Rottie
05-29-2012, 10:24 PM
I had a spidey-sense feeling that some freaky thing would happen to keep Serena from winning, even though she's been playing monster tennis. But I certainly didn't think it would happen in the first round! :eek:

liv
05-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Surprised at Serena's loss. I was watching and quit before the 2nd set tiebreaker because it seemed pretty easy for her. When Serena's physically ok, and she's looked very good lately, she is usually always tough (especially with the current lack of other consistent big stars) and i really thought she was the favourite.

I know she pulled out earlier with a back injury, but i never usually trust those withdrawals that are so close to the majors because people often do that as a precaution.

Did she offer an excuse?

Now I hope someone unexpected come through and takes advantage of this!

Fan123
05-29-2012, 11:19 PM
What a great match! Yes, Serena made many unforced errors, but Razzano was very quick on her feet, had better court movement/coverage. The first set was very close, she made 2 glaring forehand errors. Kudos to Razzano though, especially with the leg cramp, and the 8-9 match point to close the deal.

What do you all think about the noise penalty against Razzano?

BigB08822
05-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Did she offer an excuse?

Trust me, if Serena has an excuse then she will make sure every person hears it. :lol:

topaz
05-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Trust me, if Serena has an excuse then she will make sure every person hears it. :lol:

Serena didn't offer any excuses. She's being good for the last few months. The Tourney on the "blue clay"(Madrid or Rome) had many players complaining, Serena was pretty quiet.

Sharapova has an easier draw than Vika, imo. Maria has very few players that can play on clay better than her. I only possible challenges to in her draw are Frankie Schiavone and Li Na. She would meet Na or Frankie in the semis it looks like. I would love to see a Schiavone/Na round of 16 or quarter final.

My bet is on Vika