PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Loves_Shizuka
04-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Sharapova beat Vika in the final 1 & 4, and I seriously think that's the best she's played since surgery. Things are getting very interesting...

Nadal beat Ferrer in Barca; Ferrer had 6 SP's in the first set, and served for the 2nd. He lost in straight sets :rolleyes:

Beefcake
05-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Rafa's latest :drama: whine is ... 'Smurf Clay' (www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/18953880/blue-smurf-clay-draws-mixed-reviews-before-debut) blue courts -- "a mistake" -- at the Madrid Masters.

I'm sure you'll be fine on it, Mister ... your preparations for Roland Garros non "destablized" by this blue burden, you'll do fine and then push onward to Paris on a nice roll.

As for the Smurf blue, well, it probably is off-putting at first ... but it's within the tournament's right to try to draw interest, and you get to practice on it for a few days.

At least this doesn't favor any player over another. :mad: In college football, the NCAA has allowed Boise State's RIDICULOUSLY bright blue field for years, a huge advantage for the home team who practices on it every day. For visitors, who arrive the day before (i.e. no time to really acclimate to it), I'd imagine it's dizzying and nausea inducing.

Rottie
05-04-2012, 12:38 AM
If it plays like red clay (and red clay has a range of speeds and grittiness and such--it's not all the same thing even when it's the same color) and it's easier for players and spectators and linespeople to see the ball . . . what's not to like?

Beefcake
05-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Poor Rafa. :drama: It ain't easy being him.

It's not just the courts' color causing him inner turmoil. :rofl:

MADRID (AP) Rafael Nadal blames the ATP for allowing the introduction of the blue-clay surface.

The six-time French Open champion was troubled when he practiced on it for the first time Thursday, describing it as 1: soft and slippery. 2: He's also unhappy with the placement of the advertising boards.

A longtime critic of event organizers, Nadal said Friday that the ATP should ''never have allowed such a change at a tournament of this scale'' in his native Spain.

3: He also was displeased when the Madrid Open was moved on the schedule from the hard-court season.

Loves_Shizuka
05-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Just shut the f*ck up, Rafa.

Beefcake
05-04-2012, 06:21 PM
:lol: Oh, stop yer sugarcoating! How do you really feel about it, LS?

OnyxRose81
05-06-2012, 07:21 AM
I think at this point he's just letting us know what part of the season it is. If he says that the surface is too quick and the the audience is too loud, it's time for the US Open. It's so nice of him to think of us that way.

Oh hell. Shut the **** up Rafa.

Loves_Shizuka
05-06-2012, 09:59 AM
:D

kylet3
05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I think at this point he's just letting us know what part of the season it is. If he says that the surface is too quick and the the audience is too loud, it's time for the US Open. It's so nice of him to think of us that way.

Oh hell. Shut the **** up Rafa.

Pretty much my sentiments, either put up or shut up. Everyone else has to compete on the same surface but they aren't complaining like he is. Djoker, Fed and everyone else are competing on this same surface, poor baby doesn't get his way? So what!

Glad to see A. Wozniak get a decent result this week, I think with a few more wins before the cutoff, she's pretty much a lock to have a spot at the Olympic Games in London :D She's worked so hard to get back to where she is and a spot in London would be well deserved

Beefcake
05-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Oh, snap. Bryan brothers' chance at history bamboozled by scheduling nuttiness (www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/05/19/Doubles-Rankings-Mirnyi-Nestor-Pass-Bryans-For-Number-One.aspx)

The Bryans' streak of 90 consecutive weeks as World #1 comes to an end today, leaving them 18 weeks short of the all-time record. Scheduling was the culprit, as the 2011 Madrid Masters points came off a week earlier than this year's tournament. They may have hit that mark if not for the calendar shift.

Anyway, congrats to Nestor and Mirnyi. :) They'll have a week, at least, as co-#1 in the world.

The Bryans dropped as a result of a calendar shift, which saw their champions’ points from the Mutua Madrid Open come off a week early. During their latest run at the top, the two overtook John McEnroe for the most weeks in history at No. 1 on 12 December, 2011. Previously, Nestor, and past partner Nenad Zimonjic, were the last players to usurp the Bryans atop the rankings, having occupied it for the final time on 9 August, 2010.

Beefcake
05-10-2012, 06:43 PM
:o Verdasco just finished up his first-ever win over Nadal. He's a Roddick-to-Federeresque 1-13 now.

Awaiting the :drama: re, those dastardly blue clay courts.

I'd say that Rafa will have his knicker in a twist over this, but :shuffle: they obviously always are already.

Rottie
05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
The courts were just as blue for Verdasco . . .

OnyxRose81
05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
The courts were just as blue for Verdasco . . .

QFT.

liv
05-10-2012, 11:54 PM
that surface is the same for everyone. I love Rafa, but come on...

...and finally a surface that has some speed to it. My one plea to Wimbledon: Please return to the fast grass you used to be known for!!!

fscric
05-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Djokovic complained just as much:

Novak Djokovic also slammed the Manolo Santana centre court after his laboured second-round victory and joked that he was considering wearing football boots or enlisting the help of action star Chuck Norris to help deal with the slick surface.

He slipped and slid his way to a 7-6 6-4 win against the unseeded Stanislas Wawrinka before announcing he would not play in the Spanish capital next year unless the red clay courts were reinstated.

"They are saying it's exactly the same as the red clay which is not true because there is a big difference," he said. "You are tripping and slipping and sliding all the time and winner will be the one who doesn't get hurt until the end of the week because a lot of players fell down," he added.

"Generally it's a new experience and the way it looks this year hopefully the last experience."

Link to the article which entitled Nadal's loss to Verdasco:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/10/rafael-nadal-loses-fernando-verdasco