PDA

View Full Version : What's Love got to do with it?! Tennis 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

judgejudy27
01-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Congrats to Azarenka. Was the result I was hoping for but a dissapointing final. Maria was 3-0 in her first 3 slam finals but has suddenly become a terrible performer in slam finals. I had a feeling she might be in over her head though considering Azarenka was playing so well this event, and Kvitova kind of gifted the semifinal to Maria at the end.

The new rankings will be: 1. Azarenka, 2. Kvitova, 3. Sharapova, 4. Wozniacki. I still think Kvitova overall has achieved more in the last year and would be more worthy of the #1 but atleast a Slam winner will be #1 now, and it isnt that big a difference between them. Wozniacki is where she belongs, and hopefully will continue to drop.

Maria is currently at 3 slams. I wouldnt mind if she won another and it would be nice to see her rewarded for her hard work to come back. However if she doesnt it might also be fitting. She has the same # of slams as Davenport, and 1 fewer than Clijsters. I dont think she is a better player than either Davenport or Clijsters to be honest.

Maofan7
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Congrats to Vika on winning her first slam and becoming world number 1. Maria's game remains too one dimensional (i.e blast, blast, blast). When things go wrong for her, there's no plan B to fall back on except to try and hit the ball even harder. She has now lost 3 slam finals in the last 4 grand slam tournaments. She needs to improve on her tactics. Moreover, by moving away from her power game, it would reduce the pressure on the shoulder that she suffered the injury on and which remains a problem.

Andy Murray - should have won, but he is gradually closing the gap on the top 3

Fergus
01-28-2012, 02:51 PM
:wuzrobbed

My boys, my boys........... :( :(

topaz
01-28-2012, 03:39 PM
And I've decided to DVR this final ... and play it on mute after I've read my morning papers.

Who's had a perfect week? Taylor Townsend, who won Aussie Open titles in both the girls singles and girls doubles.

I know I'm so happy for Taylor. I saw her play like 2 years ago. She's a wonderful girl and her serve is already a weapon at 15. She needs to work on her diet though and become more FIT.

topaz
01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I am so happy for Vika. I'm proud of her. She calmed her nerves after the first two games and just relaxed.

If Vika can stay healthly, she was a shot at the remaining slams. She's a semi finalist at Wimbledon;her volleys are improving as with her serve. Her backhand is better now, she's playing more strategic with her angles. Really go chance to do some damage. She has alot of points to defend though within the next few tourneys. I don't know how long she'll stay #1.

Loves_Shizuka
01-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Just watching the final now. This is so bizarre. I'm currently at 2-0 30-0* for Maria. Vika is a bundle of nerves, has hit three DF's whilst Maria has hit about 4 winners and looks so intimidating. WTF happened?! :rofl:

Lorac
01-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Just watching the final now. This is so bizarre. I'm currently at 2-0 30-0* for Maria. Vika is a bundle of nerves, has hit three DF's whilst Maria has hit about 4 winners and looks so intimidating. WTF happened?! :rofl:

That was the turning point - from there on in there was no stopping Viki and Marie had no answers :)

Loves_Shizuka
01-28-2012, 04:49 PM
It's like two different matches.

oleada
01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I think she settled in, got comfortable, and executed her game plan of moving Maria around extremely well. Maria's also feeding her with tons of pace and hits right into her backhand, which Vika loves. Maria didn't seem to have a game plan at all.

Vika's not the best mover, but she's much better than Maria. And she definitely has more variety - loved that dropshot/lobe combo.

Loves_Shizuka
01-28-2012, 04:54 PM
^This match REALLY highlights Maria's (awful) movement. Vika is getting so much width that Maria is spending half her time stumbling around on her BH side. She just looks so awkward. Full marks for effort though.

judgejudy27
01-28-2012, 05:53 PM
I am so happy for Vika. I'm proud of her. She calmed her nerves after the first two games and just relaxed.

If Vika can stay healthly, she was a shot at the remaining slams. She's a semi finalist at Wimbledon;her volleys are improving as with her serve. Her backhand is better now, she's playing more strategic with her angles. Really go chance to do some damage. She has alot of points to defend though within the next few tourneys. I don't know how long she'll stay #1.

Wimbledon is the most unlikely slam for her to win. Players like Kvitova and Serena are too explosive for her there should they meet them, even Lisicki, granny Venus, and Sharapova probably too. Kvitova is almost a lock for Wimbledon for the next few years IMO, it suits her power game to a T.

oleada
01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't Wimbledon is necessarily Vika's slam, but she can do well there. I think that she'd do better at the French, though. She's got a good record on clay and 2 QF at Roland Garros. There aren't as many strong players on clay. There's Stosur, but she's never even taken a set off Vika. Kuznetsova, Zvonareva & Schiavone are all inconsistent. The Serbs have had better days. Maria is a non-factor on clay. Has Clijsters even played there since her comeback? Despite her win last year, Li's never been much of a clay courter. Wozniacki is not a natural clay mover. That leaves Kvitova, who is good but not great on it. And Radwanska, who can be easily overpowered and Vika has beaten twice this year already.

oleada
01-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Oh and I wasn't aware that Vika's boyfriend was Sergey Bubka Jr. and that she spent the holidays with the Bubkas in Dubai, including the Sergey Bubka :eek:

Loves_Shizuka
01-28-2012, 07:40 PM
^I only found that out today too. Is Jr. actually any good? (... at tennis)

oleada
01-28-2012, 07:46 PM
^I only found that out today too. Is Jr. actually any good? (... at tennis)

Not really, he lost in the men's qualification.