PDA

View Full Version : Roku -- Getting news? Skating?

barbk
01-08-2012, 06:17 AM
I'm starting to explore the notion of dropping our basic minus (broadcast only + TV sales junk basically) cable subscription because we don't watch enough TV to make even a $20 month basic cable a good proposition.

A Roku box came up as a suggestion, but I'm having some trouble understanding if and how I might be able to get the occasional news broadcast on it. (Do I need to subscribe to something else?) Not Fox news. We have Amazon Prime, which offers some free streaming stuff. I'd love to be able to watch skating again on a tv -- the laptop experience isn't wonderful.

(Antenna's are pretty much useless because we're nestled down behind the mountain that is line-of-sight to the mountain with all the TV broadcast towers on it.)

If there's a website that explains this a little more clearly, I'd appreciate a pointer. Roku's website seems to assume some underlying knowledge I apparently lack.

Or, if you've got a better solution, I'd love to hear that. We have an old (as in, say, 15 years old) TV set we're not really interested in replacing at the moment. Total TV watching time for the household is probably under 5 hours a month. Mr. Arabrab likes Mythbusters and CNBC or something else business-y. Olympics or World Championships for skating would be a plus.

Thank you!