PDA

View Full Version : Most Shocking/Dramatic Moments?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Vash01
01-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure I'd call most of the examples given shocking or dramatic. Emotional, yes.
Maybe it's a language thing but my understanding of shocking and dramatic is something else and especially shocking as a negative tone to it, for me.
Something I'd call shocking, for example, would be the fall of the Ukrainian pairs skaters at 2000 Worlds, Palamarchuk and partner.

I am an English/American;)language speaker, so it's not a language thing. When I saw the title of this thread, I had expected something very different from the the examples I am reading. It does not have to be negative in order to be dramatic, but shocking- may be. ITA about the Palamarchuk pairs fall, T&M's fall at Skate America. Those were truly dramatic and shocking, but a skater's reaction in the K&C or a poster's own reaction to scores as examples? Come on. Some examples are emotional but not necessarily shocking or dramatic (e.g. Katia's first solo performance).

I am having a tough time finding examples other than those already listed, and I may have missed a few.

I do find Rudy's win in San Jose in 1996 truly shocking. His awesome skate and the reaction from the audience and him was dramatic. Midori Ito's fall in the 1992 Oly SP was truly shocking, particularly since it was a simple 3Lutz, but not dramatic.

museksk8r
01-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Surya Bonaly's silver medal strip off and refusal to stand on the medal podium at the 1994 Worlds medal ceremony. :eek:

Wyliefan
01-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Paul Wylie's Olympic silver medal.

Rock2
01-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Wow these are all good...not much to add.
Menzies / Bombardier bombing twice at nationals going for olympic spots that were so within their reach. They did it with other partners one cycle and then together.

Not sure if this was in there, but I thought Meier's Euros win was pretty awesome and exciting.

aftershocks
01-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Rudy's win in San Jose, 1996 :)
Tai & Randi's Olympic withdrawal, 1980 :(
Barbara Fusar Poli's death stare :eek:
Shizuka's reaction in the K&C in Torino 2006 :)

Yes, thanks, paskatefan -- I knew there was a deeply affecting incident that was missing from my list! It was heartbreaking to see Randy go out there in the warm-up and keep falling and to watch the look on Tai's face, later finding out that she had not been informed about the extent of his injury. So glad they both survived this experience and more importantly stayed together as a team forever. Love their memoir, Forever Two as One.

falling_dance
01-07-2012, 09:59 PM
- the Jelineks winning pairs gold in Prague in 1962
- the entire first half of 1997
- Miki Ando in the K&C when she won her first World title in 2007

Loves_Shizuka
01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Everything about Pasha/Oksana/Madonna/Marilyn Grishuk in 1998.

Tanja90
01-07-2012, 11:17 PM
3 fall's long by Carolina Kostner at Vancouver and her following interview just a few minutes later..she was almost in tears

Joannie short at the Olympics..i had those images in my mind for all the day

Barbara and Maurizio falling in the last minute of their program in Turin..and of course, what happened after that

Sarah Meier reaction after winning euros last year

orbitz
01-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Midori (1) falling into the camera pit after landing the 3lz-2t at 91 Worlds and (2) falling on the 3ltz in the SP at Albertville.

Janet Lynn falling on both of her 2A in the SP at the 73 Worlds.

Jozet
01-08-2012, 03:21 AM
but a skater's reaction in the K&C or a poster's own reaction to scores as examples? Come on.

I must have misunderstood the intended focus of the post. Or maybe I have a lower threshold for being shocked or finding the drama in a moment. I'll blame it on not watching the Kardashians enough.

zilam98
01-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Barbara and Maurizio falling in the last minute of their program in Turin..and of course, what happened after that

this was both shocking (fall) and dramatic (death stare in front of audience) :eek:

The Fly On The Wall
01-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Has no one mentioned the "whack heard 'round the world" yet?

CantALoop
01-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Not so much Yu-Na's reaction, but the Korean crowd's reaction (http://youtu.be/pCuwyo2jjqI?t=7m5s) to her scores at the 2008-2009 GPF.

I've never heard roars of excitement die off so quickly :eek::rofl:

Jaana
01-08-2012, 09:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm9ar7Eau88

I can't believe the sadistic cameraman who kept on zooming in on michelle's heartbroken face after they were all standing on the podium

Did the camera not stay on the face of other medalists? Anyway, Michelle as the 4-time World champion was expected to win this time as it did not happen in Nagano. Sarah Hughes was a surprise, and I have always thought that Irina should have won, Sarah was way too high up after the sp.

I would include when Johnny Weir's LP score were shown at the 2010 Olys, Idk if I would call it shocking but it was dramatic, a whole lot of booing going on (myself included :shuffle:)

Yes, considering that Plushenko´s PCS was so high, compared to that also Weir´s empty programme should have had higher PCS. But, Plushenko has reputation points based on his huge achievements, and Weir is veeery far from those achievements. Actually Weir got what he deserved, IMO. He should have had a better CoP programme, that would have helped!!!

PashaFan
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
You can't be serious. A row of perfect sixes without any choreography, and just showing angst in the face? The competition was very close; the only drama was Sale's reaction on the podium and the subsequent awarding of double gold, for crying. If you disagreed with the judges' placement/marks, there must be tons of other examples like that.

If you read it right you can see I said that I'm a Elena/Anton fan. I was shocked because the Olympics were in North America & thought that would favour Jamie/David.
I found more emotion in the Russians free skate but thought the way they were treated by some people in the media was terrible. Like they were to blame.
I did not agree with a second set of Gold medals being given out. It was a close call. I liked both but found the Russians more interesting.
The media over reacted (my opinion).