PDA

View Full Version : Most Shocking/Dramatic Moments?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

PashaFan
01-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Sarah Meier winning the European Gold in 2011.
She was crying thinking she had won a medal then when the first place mark came up she & her team's reaction was amazing. It was one of those real feel good moments.
Also in Torino 2006 Olympics. The Ice Dance Original. One fall after another.
It kept happening-both Italian couples, P/B & the most shocking Marie-France & Patrice's fall.

sadya
01-07-2012, 11:43 AM
I'll add the reaction of Baiul after she won gold in Lillehamer. Well, not shocking but certainly dramatic.

The news of Grinkov passing away, Eurosport was showing Lalique which was a different event back then, suddenly they stopped, instead of the rest of the show the Olympic lp of G&G was on with the text; Tribute to Sergei Grinkov, his date of birth and death and what G&G had won. I was shocked.

Hamilton back on the ice after his struggles with cancer.

Long before I was born, the '61 plane crash, I first read about it on SkateWeb. There was an entire description of the programs with all the elements the skaters did. Then someone posted the programs of these skaters for the first time on the former board of fsuniverse. It was quite an emotional experience to watch those programs. Perhaps this was the most shocking and dramatic event ever in figure skating.

briancoogaert
01-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Also really touching moment, when Kurt Browning was interviewed after his 1994 Olympics SP, "gone, really gone this time" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3b8ss4t7N4&feature=related
or http://youtu.be/w6KWPx-ONw8?t=5m56s

misskarne
01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Plushenko goes ker-splat on his opening jumping pass at Salt Lake City.

With all the build-up, the huge rivalry, everything...that was probably the last thing anyone expected to happen.

Abt's horrendous SP marks in Salt Lake City. I am well aware the ISU probably didn't want an all-Russian podium, but those marks were ridiculous.

Yagudin wins the 2002 Euros. Even Yagudin thought he shouldn't have won!

PashaFan
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
I'll add the reaction of Baiul after she won gold in Lillehamer. Well, not shocking but certainly dramatic.

The news of Grinkov passing away, Eurosport was showing Lalique which was a different event back then, suddenly they stopped, instead of the rest of the show the Olympic lp of G&G was on with the text; Tribute to Sergei Grinkov, his date of birth and death and what G&G had won. I was shocked.

Hamilton back on the ice after his struggles with cancer.

Long before I was born, the '61 plane crash, I first read about it on SkateWeb. There was an entire description of the programs with all the elements the skaters did. Then someone posted the programs of these skaters for the first time on the former board of fsuniverse. It was quite an emotional experience to watch those programs. Perhaps this was the most shocking and dramatic event ever in figure skating.

I remember that. I was watching Lalique at the time too. I could not believe it.
Also the Pairs event at Salt Lake in 2002. I live in England so I stayed up until about 3 in the morning. When I was waiting for Sale/Pelletier's marks I remember thinking that they were going to get a row of perfect 6's & then my jaw dropped when the second place came up (& I was a Elena & Anton fan !). Truly shocking.

briancoogaert
01-07-2012, 12:18 PM
A shocking moment : Carolina Kostner 2006 Olympics SP (http://youtu.be/TxZDQZ6MzEE?t=40s).
And so touching, you can hear the crowdv rooting for her right after the fall.

Maofan7
01-07-2012, 12:32 PM
One of the most dramatic has to be Janet Lynn at 1971 Worlds. Her FS had been brilliant, but due to the weighting of the school figures component she missed out on a medal altogether. Trixie Schuba, Julie Holmes, and Karen Magnussen were stood atop the podium, but the French crowd were so outraged by the situation that one of the officials had to motion Janet Lynn to go and take a bow at the side of the rink. Upon doing so, they gave her a huge cheer and only then was the crowd appeased. That moment is captured in this video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzvtjbcv-Cs#t=2m07s). That moment also marked the beginning of the end for the compulsory figures as they reduced their weighting a few years later and introduced the short program.

Here is a documentary on the whole saga:-

Janet Lynn & Trixie Schuba - 1971 World Championships (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzvtjbcv-Cs)

Jozet
01-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Akiko Suzuki's reaction after FS scores at 09 Japan Nationals. Into second place by .13 after a great program. I just adore her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=urnMcbhKjZs#t=470s

judiz
01-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Johnny Weir winning 2004 Nationals after the Dallas disaster.

Loves_Shizuka
01-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Akiko Suzuki's reaction after FS scores at 09 Japan Nationals. Into second place by .13 after a great program. I just adore her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=urnMcbhKjZs#t=470s

It's so touching! ... but then you also have to think about the bigger picture. I wonder what Yukari Nakano's reaction to same marks, was? :(

smarts1
01-07-2012, 03:12 PM
^ I still wish Yukari was sent to the 2010 Olympics... Anyways, anyone remember Yukari's 2008 Worlds scores?!?!? Lots of booing!!!

Icetalavista
01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Totmianina's horrific pairs fall

Woetzel's less horrific, but still awful trip and fall, then being carried off the ice by Steuer (US TV, subtle and classy as always, showed the trip no less than 5 times, from different angles)

Babilonia and Gardner's sad and truly last-second withdrawal from the Olys pairs comp, due to Gardner's groin injury

(I never saw this, but it sounds dramatic) Gary Beacom becoming so angry after his scores for compulsory figures were posted that he kicked the boards and his blade got stuck

Lipinski's shriek heard round the world after she won Oly gold

Peggy Fleming winning the US's ONLY Oly gold that year, after the US team was decimated from the plane crash

Jozet
01-07-2012, 04:00 PM
It's so touching! ... but then you also have to think about the bigger picture. I wonder what Yukari Nakano's reaction to same marks, was? :(

I know. :( There was a lot of emotional weight tied to that one score. I think you could hear it in the audience's reaction - sort of cheer/groan/shock. A bittersweet moment.

pani
01-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Marie-France DUBREUIL fall at 2006 OG OD - it look scary :(
Melissa Gregory - Denis Petukhov fall at 2007 Skate Canada during warm-up.
Nobunari Oda laces have torn at OG.
Takashi blades problems at 2011 WCh.
Obertas-Palamarchuck fall in LP at 2000 WCh in Nice.
Totmianina's horrific pairs fall
Jessica Dube face cut at 2008 4CC championships
Rochett SP at 2010 OG
Buttle LP at 2004? (i think it was at 2004 Naionals in London), where he had falls at all jumps.
Tessa Virtue stop skating during FD at 2011 4CC championship.

Vash01
01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I remember that. I was watching Lalique at the time too. I could not believe it.
Also the Pairs event at Salt Lake in 2002. I live in England so I stayed up until about 3 in the morning. When I was waiting for Sale/Pelletier's marks I remember thinking that they were going to get a row of perfect 6's & then my jaw dropped when the second place came up (& I was a Elena & Anton fan !). Truly shocking.

You can't be serious. A row of perfect sixes without any choreography, and just showing angst in the face? The competition was very close; the only drama was Sale's reaction on the podium and the subsequent awarding of double gold, for crying. If you disagreed with the judges' placement/marks, there must be tons of other examples like that.