PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use Ebay?

Pages : 1 [2]

myhoneyhoney
01-06-2012, 07:22 AM
I use ebay though not as much as I used to. I use it to add to my Candyland theme for Christmas and for other things like phone cases, yarn, etc. I've had some good luck getting cute sandals too. Right now I'm scouring it to buy my little girls figure skates.

Cachoo
01-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Trial and error my friend. My little girl started skating at 18 months so I had NO little ones to hand me down to so to speak so I started selling her old itty bitty skates, dance clothes and shoes, gymnastics leos, etc. Stage mom here found an avenue and went with it. My advice is to follow what you know (for me skating, dance, gymnastics, costumes, etc.) and branched out from there. I sell books (self help), my husbands band equipment, and stuff I find. I would love to become an antiques dealer...sadly I am jack of all trades and master of none!

Well 1273 looks like a mountain to me--I'm impressed. Actually I'm impressed with the people who have mentioned selling because I think you just have to dive in--all too often I just barely touch water with my big toe. I put this thread in because an ornament (one of which I own) sold for $346.00. But I think it was two people bidding who just lost control and who had the money to buy one ornie for that much. I suspect if I list my copy it won't fetch nearly as much.

Thanks for the replies--it is interesting reading about everyone's interests/experiences on Ebay.

vesperholly
01-06-2012, 09:01 AM
The market on eBay is very weird. I usually have the best luck with highly-recognizable brand name products, like Banana Republic or Tiffany. Even then, it took me two tries to sell a Tiffany pendant. I sell mostly clothing, as my size has gone down and up drastically over the past few years. Lately I've been having a better time selling in lots - 5 Old Navy tank tops, for example. The really high fees (15% between eBay and PayPal) make me much more picky on what I put up for auction.

I started out in 2000 during college, selling the double prints of photos I took at skating shows and big competitions. That would certainly be against their rules now!

Garden Kitty
01-06-2012, 10:14 AM
I've mainly used it to find particular china or flatwear that isn't currently in production, including replacements for my mom's china set. I've never sold anything, but I have used it to purchase a number of things (mostly with the buy it now option)

Aussie Willy
01-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I have done heaps of trading on Ebay. It has been a great way to get rid of things I no longer need.

If you do want to sell things I would just check how items are doing. Earlier in the year I found there was good market (lots of bids) for fridges, rugs and chest of drawers but not so much washing machines (all the things I was wanting to sell). So sold the first three and didn't bother with the washing machine because I knew it wouldn't sell.

Meredith
01-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I have only sold tickets, but purchased lots of items. My most expensive purchases were my camera and some lenses. I've had only one bad experience, and I could have avoided that if I'd paid more attention to the seller's feedback.

skatemommy
01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I've had good luck with selling but with all the fees I'm paying Ebay is my last resort, really.

It's a buyer-friendly site though

You are too kind, this is a massive understatement! One negative feedback lowered my score by 3%! The last week all listings were free - but of course still have to pay Paypal fees. Aren't postal rates going up this month too?

Cachoo
01-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't know how much easier it might be to sell on Etsy. I love looking though; so many creative people out there.

GarrAarghHrumph
01-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I've had mixed luck buying things on EBay. Some things I've gotten have smelled musty, and the seller hadn't mentioned that. One piece of handmade jewelry I got fell apart as soon as I put it on. So now, I am wary.

Aceon6
01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I use it a lot for hard to find stuff. I found a replacement watch for one my mother lost at work. It was a 1940s era Bulova, and I found the exact one on eBay. The discontinued Vera Bradley stuff goes far cheaper on eBay than in the VB outlets.

I don't sell directly as we have a terrific eBay consolidator in town. The commission I pay is far less than what my time is worth, so I bring items to him and he does the photographing and posting, then sends me the links so I can follow the items.

barbk
01-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Aceon6 -- Could you give me some idea of the ebay consolidator's charges? We have some stuff I'd like to sell, but since we have no sales feedback, I'm not sure that we'd get much in the way of response.

aliceanne
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
i used it once. I bought a skate tape (still in the wrapper) for $14. The same tape was selling on Amazon for $99. I didn't have any problems.

I'm a little cautious with Pay Pal though. My co-worker had her bank account compromised through Pay Pal (she had autopay for her cable bill), although I haven't had any problems using a credit card with Pay Pal.

pilgrimsoul
01-06-2012, 04:31 PM
I have sold a few things on ebay, but I'm mostly a buyer. I'm a big bargain shopper for certain luxury items I could not otherwise afford (designer leather goods, premium bed linens, etc.) I've scored some really great deals by being patient & waiting for the right auction. I also collect Arabia of Finland Anemone stoneware which isn't produced anymore, and almost every piece I have came from ebay at a fantastic price.

I also buy all of my DVDs & CDs used from Amazon. Why pay full price when you can get it delivered to your door for less than $8-10 (or less) apiece including shipping?

KikiSashaFan
01-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I use it a lot for buying old books, clothing and other various items. I've never had any problems as a buyer, but I hate selling. I hate when people ask questions that are clearly listed (what size? any damage? NWT or NWOT? etc) or when people whine after about things that were also clearly listed (What region a dvd is for example). The only negative feedback I've ever received was because someone bought some Wii games from me and then they wouldn't work because they're a different region than their console, even though the ad clearly stated that you would need a region 1 or unlocked console. :rolleyes:

Vash01
01-07-2012, 12:43 AM
I have bought and sold on ebay, but not recently. It was great during the 2002 Olympics for buying & selling tickets. Since then, only sparingly, like clothes and small items.