PDA

View Full Version : Want to work in a lingere shop? Go to Saudi Arabia.

Aussie Willy
01-05-2012, 04:14 AM
Interesting article about how the government have supported women working in Saudi Arabia, mainly due to women not feeling comfortable being served by men in lingere shops.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/saudi-women-win-support-in-campaign-to-exclude-men-from-selling-lingerie-20120104-1pl8o.html

A win for commonsense I say.

Japanfan
01-05-2012, 06:51 AM
A win for commonsense I say.

But not a win for women in any real sense. Yes, it makes sense for women to sell women's lingerie to women. And so far as I know, this is usually the case. I've yet to meet a man working in the Sear's bra department. :)

It makes even more sense in Saudi Arabia, because a woman would not be allowed to try on lingerie and get a man's opinion on how it looked, but could do with a woman.

However, this merely reinforces Saudi gender segregation laws and does nothing to advance the emancipation of Saudi women, who have much more pressing concerns than the consumption of lingerie.

Aussie Willy
01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
But not a win for women in any real sense. Yes, it makes sense for women to sell women's lingerie to women. And so far as I know, this is usually the case. I've yet to meet a man working in the Sear's bra department. :)

It makes even more sense in Saudi Arabia, because a woman would not be allowed to try on lingerie and get a man's opinion on how it looked, but could do with a woman.

However, this merely reinforces Saudi gender segregation laws and does nothing to advance the emancipation of Saudi women, who have much more pressing concerns than the consumption of lingerie.
They have to start somewhere in giving women more rights. I think sometimes the way it is expedited is of lesser concern than the fact that something has moved forward.

Japanfan
01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
They have to start somewhere in giving women more rights. I think sometimes the way it is expedited is of lesser concern than the fact that something has moved forward.

Except this isn't giving women more rights in a meaningful way. Being served by women rather than men in lingerie stores doesn't really qualify as a right beyond the fact that women should have the 'right' to work in lingerie stores - which is kind of joke in the west, where women dominate the field of low-paid retail sales clerks. Women should also have the right to own lingerie stores, but I think they do in Saudi Arabia? So far as I know, restrictions on women's work in Saudi tend to focus on women serving women exclusively, so a woman can be a banker or a doctor, but serve only women.

The right to dress as one chooses is far more important than who a Saudi woman buys lingerie from. She'll only ever be able to show her lingerie to girlfriends or her husband, so far as I know. Buying lingerie from women rather than men won't do much to alter the reality of Saudi women's oppression, whereas freedom of dress would be a huge emancipation.

Aussie Willy
01-05-2012, 10:38 AM
It is not about giving women a right to work in a lingere store, it is about giving women a right to work at all. Something which many of them don't have.

Japanfan
01-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Except the issue doesn't address the larger issue of women's rights in Saudi Arabia in a meaningful way. At best, it's just another limited work opportunity for Saudi women.

I found this article interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jan/05/knickers-saudi-arabia-women