PDA

View Full Version : Tournament of Roses Parade

Cachoo
01-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Do you watch it? Yes

It is on and I look at the floats and go back to typing for the bands and horses.

And I'm not even close to childhood age........

rfisher
01-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I watch every year. I love the parade. It's awesome in HighDef now. I watch on HGTV because they are commercial free and you see every float, band and equestrian unit. :cheer2:

Flatfoote
01-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I watch it too. If it weren't for HGTV though, I may have given it up a long time ago. The major networks just ruin it when they spend far more time with their stars mugging for the camera and plugging their shows. Being a fan of the marching arts, I especially hated it when they'd be like, "oh, a band is on, ok, time to talk about myself now instead." Those kids work so hard to get there, I just hate that they cut away from all the bands.

Someone recommended HGTV to me years ago, and now I won't watch it on any other channel. They do a great job. And when they talk for a little bit during dead spaces, they actually cut themselves off once the next unit is in sight.

Oh, and yes, watching it in Hi Def is awesome!

rfisher
01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
I agree, those band kids and their parents work hard for them to get there and they deserve the recognition.

skatesindreams
01-02-2012, 05:49 PM
It's always a great show!

jkl
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
The High-Def makes all the difference!

reckless
01-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Did anyone see the Roy Rogers float? They actually had Trigger on it -- not a recreation of Trigger, but the actual, stuffed horse.

jkl
01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Yes I saw that! They also mentioned a dog who's name escapes me.

victorskid
01-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Yes I saw that! They also mentioned a dog who's name escapes me.

The dog would be Bullet :) They also said that it was the "preserved" Trigger.

I watch in Hi-Def on KTLA (one of the stations available on my cable here in Ottawa) - they run the live parade commercial-free and then put it on a replay loop for the rest of the day (with commercials but nothing skipped). They also have a pre-show which I enjoy.

heckles
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Being a fan of the marching arts, I especially hated it when they'd be like, "oh, a band is on, ok, time to talk about myself now instead." Those kids work so hard to get there, I just hate that they cut away from all the bands.

RFD-TV stays quiet during the bands, and they also show all of the horses rather than cutting away.

rfisher
01-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Hehehehehe we got a shot of the pooper scooper today when the one horse near the end of the parade decided he wasn't enthused about being there.

Garden Kitty
01-02-2012, 10:20 PM
I love the Rose Parade! The floats always amaze me.

Anita18
01-03-2012, 04:05 AM
I agree, those band kids and their parents work hard for them to get there and they deserve the recognition.
I was flying out of LAX on Rose Parade day back in college, so the SuperShuttle picked up a lot of parade viewers on their way home. You knew immediately who they were because it rained and anyone watching the parade were all soaked. :lol: One mother said her husband had driven all the way from Alabama with her son's marching band to be there. The kids were SO excited to be in the parade, even if it meant days of driving with their instruments. :cheer:

I watched the last 45 minutes of the parade from the curb, since I live close enough to walk to the parade route. The sirens, helicopters, and honking cars woke me up early. :coffee: It was fun! I got to see some cool floats, see some really hardcore campers, and experience the end of the parade, which is a loud honky procession of tow trucks, one of whom was towing part of the Girl Scout float. :lol: However, I did not see the Occupy Octopus for some reason. I feel jipped. :mad:

My mom and I tried to sign up to decorate the National History Museum float, but they didn't need any more volunteers. We went to a viewing of the decorating and we quickly figured out why - there were 4 or 5 people just painting the belly of one of the dinosaurs. :lol: Maybe next year...