PDA

View Full Version : Thankyou for having me gift help needed

ice dance
01-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm staying with my boyfriend's family for 5 nights starting at the end of this week. It will be the first time I've met them. What should I give as a "thankyou for having me" gift?

numbers123
01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Do they drink wine? Do you know what kind the like?

Taking them to dinner - I am not sure how much money you have to spend, but even out to pizza is a treat for someone who is hosting.

ice dance
01-01-2012, 10:26 PM
BF's uncle has a vinyard, so I'm guessing wine is out as a gift. It's a rural area, and the nearest large town is about half an hour away.

skipaway
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Any special products your hometown is famous for? Maybe a basket of these would be nice.

milanessa
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Maybe (with your boyfriend's help) take a cooler with the fixings for a meal that the two of you could cook for them one night? Provide everything, prepare it and do the clean-up.

Cachoo
01-01-2012, 10:58 PM
When they go into town is there a certain restaurant they love?

Garden Kitty
01-01-2012, 11:52 PM
You could bring a small gift and then send something after you leave as a thank you - at that point you'll know more about them. When in doubt, an assortment of nice loose leaf teas and coffee can work.

Cookies from Dancing Deer are yummy, or an assortment of breakfast goods from somewhere like Wolfermans are also good.

Matryeshka
01-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Since you typically give "thank-you" gifts at the end of your stay, I'd wait and see. They might have things they collect, mention something they need, favorite author, tell you about an activity they'd like to do.

Ask your boyfriend about gifts he's given his parents in the past for birthdays, anniversaries, holidays. That might give you a clue as to what would be appropriate.