PDA

View Full Version : Target, Walmart or KMart?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

MacMadame
01-03-2012, 01:02 AM
My first thought about this was that that particular store is not being careful about transporting the milk and storing it properly, so that is why it is spoiling sooner. YMMV.
Well my mileage on actual milk is that I don't buy it at all since it makes me sick. :lol:

Do you mean you were the scholarship student or that you and several people, who were all scholarship students, had interesting discussions? I thought you probably mean the former but... :confused:
I was a scholarship student. Who often challenged my friends when they would start speaking for 'poor people'.

milanessa
01-03-2012, 01:15 AM
I've been to Target twice.

The first time I bought a kitchen trash can. While the cashier was scanning the bar code she tipped it over and dropped it on the floor causing a huge dent. She then told me how much I owed and reached for my money. :lol: When I asked if I could trade the dented can for another one she told me that, since it had already been rung up, that I needed to pay and then go to customer service and return it, get another one and go back through checkout. :rofl: As if.

The second time my sister and I were dividing up errands for my mother in a shopping center. One of the things to do was get cash from an ATM and Target had one so I gave my sister my ATM card and PIN while I went into a store next door. When I came out my sister was by the car with 3 receipts - 2 saying the transaction was complete, the 3rd said the max has been taken out that day. The problem was there was never any money dispensed. :confused: I went into the store and saw a manager and he was less than helpful - apparently their machines are contracted and they just throw up their hands if there's a problem ( all the while admitting lots of people have problems.) :rolleyes: My bank took care of it and returned the money I never got to my account.

Don't ever intend to go to a Target again.

jlai
01-03-2012, 01:39 AM
I go to Target not because the clothes are cheap. They aren't for the quality. But it's very convenient to pick up something long and slim for my family. Old Navy? I like the style but their things don't last either, but again for what you pay for...

heckles
01-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Which store do you prefer?

The important question is: which store attracts the most hotties?

Karina1974
01-03-2012, 05:56 AM
But almost all the Walmarts have become brand new, super clean and nice SUPER Walmarts, complete with massive grocery section.

There are 3 Super Walmarts in my area, and the one I go to has a nice fresh produce section.

The Walmart in Albany, NY is actually the largest one in the US. They have two floors, and the whole first floor is just groceries. They even have an separate escalator for your shopping cart, next to the real one. I've never seen that at any other store of any kind!

The one time I went into that Walmart, I almost couldn't find my way back out again.

Karina1974
01-03-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm guessing most of the people who grocery shop at Target or Wal-mart live somewhere with really crappy grocery stores or else Target/Wal-mart stock exactly what they need.

Price Chopper, which is the main grocery store where I live, is hardly a "crappy" grocery store; in fact, it pre-dates Walmart, K-mart and Target by a considerable number of years. They are based locally to me, but they also have stores in 5 other states: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and Vermont. They got started in 1932, as the Public Service Market in Green Island, NY, became the Central Market chain in 1933, and that chain morphed into Price Chopper in 1973.

I can find the exact same grocery items at both PC and Walmart with very few exceptions, but typically I prefer Walmart because I have yet to see PC beat Walmart in price on any item I buy that they both sell in common.

cruisin
01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't know about going from store to store for a savings of a few cents on things. Where I live, it would cost me more in gas money to do that. A 2 minute drive is much cheaper than a 20 minute one, so....

professordeb
01-03-2012, 02:12 PM
cruisin - we go to multiple stores cause we save more than just the few pennies it takes to go from one store to the other. I live in a small city (about 75,000) and we can get from one end to the other in about 8-10 minutes. The time to travel the distance between stores and our house is about five minutes max so in our case, it is worth the cost of gas to hit up the multiple stores.

cruisin
01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
^^ I suppose it does depend on where you live. Where I live, the stores are too far apart. We have one store in town, the next one is about 10 minutes away (but that is the afore mentioned Kings). Then, there is a ShopRite an a Pathmark, each about 20 minutes away. The closes Target is about 25-30 minutes away. There is a Costco near the Target, so i would go there for groceries before I'd go to Target. But, as I said, our Target doesn't have much in the way of groceries.

I won't shop in either the ShopRite of Pathmark because they are both not so clean. I also won't go to Pathmark because I've had incidents with them. Once I bought ground beef there and there was a huge bug in it! I returned it and the said i didn't buy it there. It was in the package I bought it in, they said I was lying! Then a few months later, I bought bagels there. I cut one open and there was a 2" industrial staple in it. I could have really cut my mouth if I'd just bitten into it! I brought that back, again they claimed I'd bought it elsewhere. It makes me :mad: that they think I would bring something back to a store I didn't buy it in - why would I do that? And to be called a liar - will never set foot in the store again.

snoopy
01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
I have bought clothes once or twice at Walmart – and they disintegrated in the washing machine. Target’s clothing hasn’t done that to me. I buy exercise clothes at Target.

I used to not buy food at Walmart – not because of their policies – but because I am a food snob and love the local Heinen’s. However, their prices are like 100% cheaper on some boxed and canned items. I would pay maybe 20% more but not double. I do think Walmart gets older items – which is probably how they can sell them cheaply - so I watch the use by date and make sure I am going to use it in the near term.

We have a local chain, Marc’s, that out Walmarts Walmart with even cheaper prices. Lots of people shop there but I am even more concerned about the “old” food there.

For meat, my family uses BJs and Sam’s Club. My brother worked as a butcher for a time and says that “in the biz”, BJs in particular does carry good stuff. And that has been our experience, but you do have to buy larger quantities.

nubka
01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
We have quite a few big grocery stores in my area, but I usually go to Walmart, because the prices for most items are low, and I like being able to do all my shopping at one store (movies, househould items, toys, etc.)

If I'm buying meat, cereal, soda, dog food, or diapers, I always go to the Air Force Commissary, which is about two miles from my house. They have the best prices for those items, but most canned foods/pasta are about the same as Walmart...

Twilight1
01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
The local Walmart is moving out of the mall I frequent so once that is gone, I will be focusing on Zellers ad Winners. We use the same grocery store...Fortino's. It is right by the house. Not always the cheapest prices in general but when we sale shop it is pretty good.

Prancer
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Target never has half the stuff I want, so I don't go there very often. Wal-Mart usually has everything I want that I would buy at a place like that (we don't have a SuperWal-Mart), but they never have nearly enough cash registers open, so I only go if I have a really quick errand to run (it's close). I haven't been to a K-Mart in a long time, mainly because Wal-Mart and Target are both about a mile away and K-Mart isn't.

We have Meijer here and it's my favorite place to get groceries, especially produce, although Kroger is closer and has more of what I would consider non-essential amenities (sushi bar, Starbucks, European bread bakery, etc.). Meijer also carries the stuff I'd buy at Wal-Mart or Target, so I usually just pick those things up when I am buying groceries. I like trader Joe's okay, but not enough to drive miles out of my way to get there, which is what I have to do. But I'll stop by when I'm in that neighbohood.

I have never had any trouble with clothes I've bought at the cheapie stores. Wal-Mart clothes hold up fine for me; I've got some things I've bought at Wal-Mart years ago that are still in excellent condition. Same with Target and K-mart and Meijer; never been a problem. I don't especially like their clothes, but that's something else. I never could wear anything from Sears, as nothing ever fit, but my daughter likes to shop there. I find that odd, but she and her friends go there a lot.

Vash01
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I am a late comer to this thread. I definitely prefer Target to Walmart or Kmart. Reasons- 1)it's the closest to my home:lol:, 2)I find the quality of goods a little better than W- or K- mart, 3)Walmart is too big, and honestly I don't like the atmosphere there, 4)Target has most things I need, including fresh produce and other groceries, in case I needed just a few things- I don't have to go grocery shopping.

Karina1974
01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't know about going from store to store for a savings of a few cents on things. Where I live, it would cost me more in gas money to do that. A 2 minute drive is much cheaper than a 20 minute one, so....

In my case, the nearest Walmart to me is actually across the street from a Price Chopper, and in the same shopping plaza as both a a Hannaford and a Target.