PDA

View Full Version : Target, Walmart or KMart?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

modern_muslimah
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I am surprised that so many people grocery shop at Walmart or Target. Around here, they have very limited grocery departments. Mostly canned, packaged, and frozen packaged foods. And the Walmart near here is so filthy and smells so bad I gaged just walking in the door. I walked right out, this was before I knew much about the company. Now i won't go in there for anything.

I think it depends what part of the country you're in. In Philly and Cleveland, the Walmarts had a very limited grocery selection. Where I currently live, all the Walmarts are Super Centers so they all have actual grocery stores inside them. You can buy fresh fruits and veggies, go to the bakery, go to the meat section as well as the deli section, etc. Basically, it's like a supermarket in Walmart. It's really convenient because I can do grocery shopping and then shop for other things that I need as well. It really is one stop shopping.

The one thing I don't like though is that the Walmart grocery stores where I live tend not to have as good a selection on things like organic foods or even things like spices. So I usually have to go to Kroger or the local halal meat market for things like that.

cruisin
01-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I have the best situation for grocery shopping. There is an ACME, in town (albeit a higher priced one :roll eyes:)). And across the street is a fantastic Italian butcher. I buy most things at the ACME, and I'll buy chicken there. But for meat and fish, I go to the butcher. I'm really neurotic about meat and fish. ACME has Purdue chickens, so I feel like those are fine. If I need special things, or I am buying a lot of produce, I go to Kings. ACME's produce (fruit, in particular) is not the quality of Kings'.

judiz
01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
K-Mart use to be nice where I live but in the past few years it's gotten dirty and you can tell the store isn't being taken care of. I feel the same way about Sears, still good for Kenmore but the clothing choices have gotten really poor.

Cachoo
01-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Clinique at Sears? I am shocked. If they are not advertising this they should if they want people upstairs. My mother used to shop for clothing at Sears because she said there were never any crowds--not a ringing endorsement. Now she is not well but likes shopping online anyway.

BittyBug
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
ACME has Purdue chickens, so I feel like those are fine.How do you measure "fine"? Purdue is one of the worst factory farm complexes in the country.

jeffisjeff
01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
BTW: Perdue makes the chickens. Purdue is a university.

I prefer target to Walmart to Target. I like buying t-shirts at Target because the arms are nice and long, which is hard to find. Walmarts are very inconsistent - some have great grocery departments, others have close to nothing. Some are clean, others are dirty. Targets tend to be more consistent. But I do use Walmart's website as my price checker when I buy something online.

cruisin
01-02-2012, 07:02 PM

:lol:, oops!

Really
01-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Clinique at Sears? I am shocked. If they are not advertising this they should if they want people upstairs.I'm in Canada, and Sears regularly has promotions on the radio for Clinique, just like Estee Lauder, Lancome, and any of the other more expensive cosmetics lines.

I have a house full of Sears appliances, and I love them all. I hope they never get out of that line of business! I've always found their customer service to be excellent.

NeilJLeonard
01-02-2012, 08:39 PM

I prefer target to Walmart to Target. I like buying t-shirts at Target because the arms are nice and long, which is hard to find. Walmarts are very inconsistent - some have great grocery departments, others have close to nothing. Some are clean, others are dirty. Targets tend to be more consistent. But I do use Walmart's website as my price checker when I buy something online.

:lol:, oops!
Perhaps cruisin is lucky to go to a store that has particularly intelligent chickens?

NJL (....:shuffle:...)

MacMadame
01-02-2012, 10:23 PM
I think it depends on the store. The supermarket closest to us sells about 100 rotisserie chickens a day. They only have about 10 whole chickens in the meat case, so I doubt that all the chickens are "sell by" orphans.
Good point. Though my store only sells a handful and they seem to sit out for a few days once they are rotisseried so I am pretty sure they are the left-overs and getting more bacteria filled by the minute!

Still might buy a regular handheld one if people have other suggestions.)
If you have a smartphone, there should be a stopwatch app. That's what I use.

I did find that when I bought milk there it almost always went bad sooner than milk from other stores, so I stopped buying it there.
Is this because it has less additives? The yogurt I buy had two ingredients and the same with the soy milk and they do go bad faster than other brands but it's a good trade-off to me. (Though I don't get them at Trader Joes because I can get them at my grocery too and save the trip.)

[QUOTE=modern_muslimah;3420647]
The one thing I don't like though is that the Walmart grocery stores where I live tend not to have as good a selection on things like organic foods or even things like spices. So I usually have to go to Kroger or the local halal meat market for things like that.
My local Target recently debuted their new grocery "store" and it has a lot more food than it used to and a lot more perishables but they don't have much selection especially when it comes to produce. Plus some of the gaps are mystifying. Like I looked 3x in every refrigerated case and never did find any sour cream. How can a grocery store not have sour cream??

However, Target does have a "value pack" of Vitamin Water Zero that is 1/3 my favorite flavor, 1/3 my daughter's only flavor she'll drink and 1/3 an acceptable flavor and it's way cheaper than anywhere else so I do always pick up a package when I'm there.

Perhaps cruisin is lucky to go to a store that has particularly intelligent chickens?
Or maybe it was a reflection on the students that Purdue is turning out. :lol:

When I was growing up, Sears was a staple. We bought EVERYTHING there from appliances to clothes and our Christmas presents were bought mostly at the Sears Outlet. I haven't been to Sears in years and when I do go -- just to be thorough or when I can't find something anywhere else -- I am reminded why I don't go there. The store in my town is bizarre in what it does and doesn't carry plus it always looks like the day after some big sale with stuff struin everywhere.

The Kmarts around here are dirty, have poor selection and are hard to navigate in. The non-Super Wal-marts are also dirty, dark and hard to navigate. Targets are always nice, well-lit, easy to find things, etc.

danceronice
01-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Meijer is located mostly in the Great Lakes, predominantly in Michigan. I'd never heard of it either (I'm from the northeast US too) until I moved to the midwest for the first time.

Meijer is the one and only thing (except for perhaps the shoreline and some nice state parks in Michigan) that I miss terribly about the midwest after living there three times and running back to the northeast every time :scream:.

Heh, I did the opposite--it would LITERALLY take at LEAST a half-million a year salary to make living in the northeast worth it to me and not a penny less. And I'd only do it if I could live in WESTERN Mass, northern New Hampshire, or inland Maine. No Vermont, eastern MA, or CT.

And I *have* money to shop somewhere other than Wal-Mart. Since I have other things I'd rather spend it on than pet food and such, I go to Wal-Mart anyway. I hit Meijer more often now I'm near the one that's close to the barn where I keep my horse, and sometimes if there's something they don't have (rarely; Meijer has almost everything though their British food section seems to have stopped carrying Marmite, which irks me) I'll go to the local supermarket.

Sears needs to dump their clothing and such and stick to appliances and contracting. (I spend tons there on things like a fridge and a furnace.)

I must have only lived near scuzzy Targets. They always seem darker and seedier than Wal-Mart, and just really trying too hard to charge more for the same products other stores have for less.

kwanfan1818
01-02-2012, 11:31 PM
It used to be a very big deal whenever the Sears catalog came out. You could order through the catalog and then pick up the order at the store.

Hannahclear
01-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I live near a scuzzy Target. Terrible selection, always out of basic items and surly staff to boot. I still go there though and hope for the best. :shuffle:

Won't shop at Wal-Mart, but I buy all sorts of baby supplies from Amazon. And I read quite a story about how all that stuff gets to you so fast, and now I feel guilty, but like others have said, I economically need to make that choice.

sk8pics
01-03-2012, 12:20 AM
[quote]I did find that when I bought milk there it almost always went bad sooner than milk from other stores, so I stopped buying it there.
Is this because it has less additives? The yogurt I buy had two ingredients and the same with the soy milk and they do go bad faster than other brands but it's a good trade-off to me.

My first thought about this was that that particular store is not being careful about transporting the milk and storing it properly, so that is why it is spoiling sooner. YMMV.

jlai
01-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Except these people are well able to speak up for themselves! They aren't going to get thrown out of the church if they say something like "Well Wal-mart gave me a job when no one else would" when someone says they don't go to Wal-mart.

And if they don't, maybe it's because it's not important to them. Maybe they just figure the person saying that is an idiot and it's better to just ignore them.

To think otherwise is actually to be a bit patronizing towards them and I think that's something we who are more privileged need to watch out for. You can support people in their struggles without thinking it's your duty to act for them when they are standing right there and are adults.

Well at least you are self-aware. I went to HS with some upper middle class kids who were always trying to help the downtrodden but didn't always give the downtrodden any credit for being functioning adults. As a poor kid on full scholarship, we had some interesting discussions because I wasn't above calling them on it ... ;)

Do you mean you were the scholarship student or that you and several people, who were all scholarship students, had interesting discussions? I thought you probably mean the former but... :confused:

I sometimes feel like speaking for people not present on the board, not because they can't speak for themselves but more because the discussions reflect the views of, well, a self-select group of people (figure skating fans who can afford the habit to some extent). But then the original poster asked the question knowing that already. :)