PDA

View Full Version : Target, Walmart or KMart?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

PDilemma
01-02-2012, 01:38 AM
When I bought very cheap off brand food for my dog at WalMart, I had a $1,000 vet bill when he almost died from an allergic reaction. I switched to holistic and he's done incredible since then. It's tough to buy better food on our budget, but I do. And if I'm going to treat my dog to holistic food, then I'll try to buy organic and hormone free stuff as much as possible for the 3 humans in the house. :)

If I buy 'inexpensive' WalMart/Target/K-Mart type clothes, they don't last. A Lands End off season sale, a Kohl's clearance rack, even Ebay clothing shopping is my idea of a sale. I've got a $120 Lands End parka for winter, it cost me $35 in the middle of summer.

I also scour the internet during holidays/birthdays for sales - there's tons of great sites out there.

My husband works at a plant that makes holistic and organic pet food. They hear this kind of thing from customers every day in their customer service dep't.

I don't buy clothes at discount chains, either. Sale racks at nicer stores are often a better deal and always last longer. And, at the moment, I don't need that many nice clothes.

Internet gifts are great. Most of our holiday gift shopping was done via internet this year.

But our food shopping choices are limited by where we live. TJ's is about 30 miles away. Our one full sized grocery is over priced and the smaller one is a lot of niche products and even higher priced. I cook everything, so that helps our budget. But as food prices go up, it is becoming more and more frustrating.

cruisin
01-02-2012, 02:08 AM
The thread title (Walmart, Target or Kmart) doesn't discourage people from saying they shop at these places (while many Walmart threads in the past did).

Not sure what your point is. I specifically said grocery shop. The reason being, that the Walmart and Target around here have very limited grocery sections. I can't imaging that grocery shopping there would provide healthy food choices. I did not realize that there are Walmarts and Targets in other areas that have full grocery departments.

And, FTR, in this area many Targets and most WalMarts have full grocery departments with meat, produce, bakeries, and delis or I wouldn't be thinking of grocery shopping there.

That makes a big difference, I've never seen stores with full grocery departments.

If I buy 'inexpensive' WalMart/Target/K-Mart type clothes, they don't last

You make a very good point there. Very often, it is worth spending a bit more for an item which will last longer. You might not be able to afford as many things, but ultimately it could cost less to buy the better product. I have tank tops and tee shirts from Target, they cost half the price of the tee shirts I get from J Crew. I have J Crew tees that are 10 years old, and have been washed many, many times - they look brand new. The Target tees were washed once and look like they went through a war. So, really, the J Crew tees are cheaper.

manhn
01-02-2012, 02:28 AM
I have been inside some pretty big-ass Targets, and never have I been impressed in their grocery sections. Let's just say that had there been a SuperWalmart in Portland, we would've brought better food to the FSU get-together. I go there for their shampoos, body washes, etc. Otherwise, I go to Walmart. For books, CD's, and DVD's, Walmart has the slighter edge.

I never buy clothes at any of these stores, if I can help it. Old Navy, FTW! I always hears that Target supposedly has better clothes, but really? That has to be for women only, right?

In terms of design, old Targets are scarier to me than old Walmarts. But new Targets are nice than new Walmarts.

jlai
01-02-2012, 02:31 AM
I feel it is my social responsibility to speak for people who can not or do not speak for themselves. It was unreasonable of me to attach those interactions to the ones stated in this thread.

Again life is a compilation of experiences and it is easy to read into statements typed on an internet forum based upon other experiences in life. I do believe it is my social responsibility to speak up for others. That in no way is saying that anyone in this thread does not or would not speak up for others. It is the way that I do that makes it appear defensive to others.

I feel the same way myself. I always feel that English-based Internet discussions often represent views of the middle class who are very literate in the English language which already means automatic exclusions of certain people's views. (Not speaking specifically about this)

As to shopping according to our own principles, we all do that to some extent. Though I must add, human beings aren't consistent with their principles. We apply them more strictly in some instances than others. To be honest, if we apply our principles consistently all the time with our shopping I'll be spending all day researching stores and such. :scream:

overedge
01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
I don't shop at Wal-Mart and I can't recall the last time I saw a K-Mart anywhere, much less went in one. So it's Target for me. I will be very glad when they take over the useless Zellers chain in Canada - until then, it's hi-ho, hi-ho, across the border I go....

Really
01-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Re: Sears and cosmetics. There are two stores in Red Deer that carry Clinique cosmetics -- one of those is Sears and the other is The Bay. Both are in the same mall. Generally, the Sears store has a better stock than The Bay.

There is one Walmart Supercentre in Red Deer and the other Walmart is almost a mini-Supercentre because their grocery department isn't as large as the other. The other night, we picked up groceries in RD -- got some stuff at Walmart, some at Safeway, and then I picked up a few more things at our local IGA yesterday.

I don't have a bias towards Walmart one way or the other -- I can find stuff made in China in all the discount stores, and I have seen some of the same people working in the older RD store for years, so it can't be all that bad.

I expect Target will be taking over the Zellers store in RD; it will be interesting to see what happens with the competition between the two Walmarts and one Target.

MacMadame
01-02-2012, 04:46 AM
I never do my major grocery shopping at either Target or Walmart, but Walmart has Bumble Bee Tuna pouch for 88 cents; You can't beat that. Walmart also has cooked Rotisserie chicken for $4 vs. $8 at supermarket like Safeway. I have not been tempted to buy Walmart's chicken yet though, because it makes me wonder where the chickens come from that they can price it so cheap.
Your comment about the chicken cracks me up.

But I never buy rotisserie chicken anywhere after someone on FSU explained that those chickens are the ones that are on the verge of being thrown out because they are about to go bad and if we knew more we wouldn't eat them. :P

I don't do tuna in a pouch either. I am trying very hard to cut down on the processed food in my life. That doesn't mean I don't eat any but things like tuna in a pouch have so many more chemicals than tuna in a can and I don't think it tastes right either.

So it does sound like people who regularly grocery shop in these stores either are buying things I'm not or their stores have a better selection than mine (like in PL's neck of the woods).

I've read in more than one thread that Walmarts are dirty with the assumption that because one is then all are.
But, see, I think that's you assuming they meant that not them meaning it...

We were asked which of these three stores we shop in. And people said which ones and gave their reasons. For me, the phrase "in my area" and "in my experience" is just implied because it's about our personal experiences and preferences.

To me it is unconscionable to say this in the hearing of people who can not pay for their next meal or who are being employed by Walmart because that is the only employer hiring. I feel it is my social responsibility to speak for people who can not or do not speak for themselves.
Except these people are well able to speak up for themselves! They aren't going to get thrown out of the church if they say something like "Well Wal-mart gave me a job when no one else would" when someone says they don't go to Wal-mart.

And if they don't, maybe it's because it's not important to them. Maybe they just figure the person saying that is an idiot and it's better to just ignore them.

To think otherwise is actually to be a bit patronizing towards them and I think that's something we who are more privileged need to watch out for. You can support people in their struggles without thinking it's your duty to act for them when they are standing right there and are adults.

My nature is to be passionate which in my case turns into defensive behavior. It does not make anyone else right or wrong, it is my assessment of me which you do concur with defensive when my choices are questioned. I did make a promise to myself late last year to change that behavior. It is difficult to change behavior.
Well at least you are self-aware. I went to HS with some upper middle class kids who were always trying to help the downtrodden but didn't always give the downtrodden any credit for being functioning adults. As a poor kid on full scholarship, we had some interesting discussions because I wasn't above calling them on it ... ;)

Mayra
01-02-2012, 04:48 AM
If I can help it, I try to avoid Walmart. We have 3 Targets and a Walmart all within a 15- 20 minute radius of each other and I usually go to Target. Our Walmart is clean and looks perfectly fine but it's always jam packed. Between the 10 minutes it will take to find parking, the crowds and the lines, Target wins hands down. At the end of the day I just find Target more peaceful to shop at and that benefit outweighs any savings I may get from Walmart. JMO

purple skates
01-02-2012, 05:33 AM
Your comment about the chicken cracks me up.

But I never buy rotisserie chicken anywhere after someone on FSU explained that those chickens are the ones that are on the verge of being thrown out because they are about to go bad and if we knew more we wouldn't eat them. :P

:lol: My absolute favorite place to go is Busch's (a fairly upscale, family owned grocery chain) around Wednesday, when they are marking their expensive meat down to the must sell level. We had an awesome roast tonight that I got that way. A couple of weeks ago I got three t-bone steaks for $9 that had to be cooked right away. They were extremely yummy!

I accept your assessment of this. My statement goes beyond the confines of this thread. I have had people in other walks of my life saying that they could never set foot in Walmart or similar stores because they have a moral issue with the company.

numbers, I have earned, through hard work and education, the right to say that I will not shop at a particular store because of how I feel about their policies. I totally understand that others do not have those advantages. However, I will not give up my right to not shop there (and to protest their policies) just because others cannot do the same. The reality is that those mega chains don't need my money and don't care that I protest - they have plenty of others willing or having to go there. It is just an exercise in making myself feel good.

I won't go to Trader Joes because I think they are price gougers and they lure people in with cheap-priced wine, if that makes you feel any better about my feelings about Wal-Mart. :P

TygerTyger
01-02-2012, 07:02 AM
TARGET! No contest!

vesperholly
01-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I am surprised that so many people grocery shop at Walmart or Target. Around here, they have very limited grocery departments. Mostly canned, packaged, and frozen packaged foods. And the Walmart near here is so filthy and smells so bad I gaged just walking in the door. I walked right out, this was before I knew much about the company. Now i won't go in there for anything.

My area's Targets were only recently converted into "super" Targets with fresh produce. Really, it wasn't much of an expansion - one large aisle with center tables.

But almost all the Walmarts have become brand new, super clean and nice SUPER Walmarts, complete with massive grocery section. Not on par with Target in terms of interior decorating, but much more pleasing to shop in. The old Walmarts are dirty, run down and poorly maintained. The one closest to me just opened a few months ago as a Super Walmart, which is nice.

orbitz
01-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Ooooh, I have to think about this if I decide to take home a rotisserie chicken again. I tried one from Whole Food before, but the higher price didn't equate to a better tasting chicken either.

I don't do tuna in a pouch either. I am trying very hard to cut down on the processed food in my life. That doesn't mean I don't eat any but things like tuna in a pouch have so many more chemicals than tuna in a can and I don't think it tastes right either.

Really? What have you heard regarding tuna in pouch? Here are the ingredients listed for Bumble Bee Premium Light Tuna: Light Tuna, Water, Vegetable Broth, and Salt.

Aceon6
01-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Ooooh, I have to think about this if I decide to take home a rotisserie chicken again. I tried one from Whole Food before, but the higher price didn't equate to a better tasting chicken either. .

I think it depends on the store. The supermarket closest to us sells about 100 rotisserie chickens a day. They only have about 10 whole chickens in the meat case, so I doubt that all the chickens are "sell by" orphans.

gkelly
01-02-2012, 03:20 PM
For the stores in the thread title, I don't think I've ever shopped at Walmart and I don't know where any are located. I haven't been to K-Mart in decades. I know where some are but they're not convenient to where I live now.

I do shop at Target. Sometimes I buy toys there for my niece and nephews. Sometimes groceries -- some staples and some treats, but they don't have enough of a selection to be my primary source of groceries. Sometimes clothing -- shirts and stuff like workout shorts, socks, and underwear.

orbitz I think Sears should ditch their soft lines and stick with what they are good at or focus on what they should be good at-- Craftsman tools, appliance (AND appliance repair), and a few other departments like mower/garden, misc hardware. Honestly does anyone say they are excited to shop at Sears for jewelry, clothing, shoes or cosmetics?

Excited, maybe not. But I do find it a good place to go for Lands End clothing or for inexpensive clothing.

Recently I needed to by a stopwatch. I tried Radio Shack but they didn't have any. So then I tried Sears. They directed me to the watch department. I was able to buy a wristwatch with stopwatch functions. I might prefer a larger display in a handheld stopwatch, but at least I have something that does the job. (Still might buy a regular handheld one if people have other suggestions.)

And there happens to be a Sears walking distance from my home. Not that I actually walk there to go shopping, but it comes in handy if I want to leave my car at the Sears Auto for an oil change and go home for lunch, e-mail, etc.

Anyway, even if I drive there to shop, it's less of a trip than most other places I could go. Well, it's in a mall. There's also a Macy's, which I would go to instead if I'm in the market for more upscale attire. And a Nordstrom's, which I rarely go to and even more rarely purchase anything at.

I won't go to Trader Joes because I think they are price gougers and they lure people in with cheap-priced wine, if that makes you feel any better about my feelings about Wal-Mart. :P

Ha. I don't buy wine -- well, not never, but much less than once a year. So that's not the reason I go to Trader Joe's. I like some of their products, and while I'm there I also buy some other things that I could also get at a regular supermarket.

I did find that when I bought milk there it almost always went bad sooner than milk from other stores, so I stopped buying it there.

Actually now I buy milk by the pint because I live alone and sometimes go more than a week without drinking any milk.

professordeb
01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
No K-Mart or Target where I live. K-Mart left us many years ago and Target *might* be coming here. Not sure if I want it since I live in a border city and those who want items from Target either make the trek over the bridge OR drive an hour away to London.

We do have a WalMart but I don't go there for grocery shopping - that what grocery stores are for, at least where I live. We do tend to use multiple grocery stores, and more often than not, get most of what we need at the lower-priced stores. It means a bit extra work because they items are displayed quite as pretty but I'll do without the frills if I get things at a better price. However, some food items can only be purchased at the higher priced store. Our solution - we comb the flyers to see who has what we need on sale and that's where we get that particular item.

As for shopping at WalMart for things in general, well I don't go there much. Sometimes I get school supplies for my "kids" but seldom find anything else I can't get elsewhere and closer. Oh yeah, when I've been there, the store is clean and usually tidy. Staff, when you could find them, could be helpful at times and then other times they hadn't a clue how to help me.