PDA

View Full Version : Target, Walmart or KMart?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Any store can be dirty and unappealing in nature - any. I've been in stores like Crate and Barrel, that were so filthy, I wouldn't want to touch anything, let alone buy it. For the most part it is the franchise owner/district manager that has control over the stores' appearances. And the budget that they have been approved to have.

That doesn't mean I have to shop at them.

nubka
01-01-2012, 10:32 PM

I don't think that was numbers123's point... :shuffle:

Cachoo
01-01-2012, 10:46 PM
The Brady Bunch does... :cool:

:lol: (And I couldn't wait for The Wish Book each Christmas season.) Now I get the Neiman Marcus Glories or whatever their Christmas catalog is called to wonder at who is going to buy the furnished submarine or whatever outlandish gifts are offered each year.

You know I did most of my Christmas shopping online this year. But I bought cards at Target.

smileyskate
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
I heard Rosie O'Donnell say she still shops at Target. I try to avoid Walmart and only go there for very few certain items that other stores are out of or do not carry. Like Matryeshka I sometimes find myself grabbing other items while in the store. Haven't been in Kmart in awhile but did see good sales when I was there. Anyone else had trouble getting good customer service from Sears these days? I haven't seen the Kardashian collection yet. We'll see if they do well at Sears.

numbers123
01-01-2012, 11:07 PM

I don't think that was numbers123's point... :shuffle:

No that wasn't what I was saying, you don't need to shop at them. No one needs to shop anywhere just because it is what others think.

My point that I often see people practicing principles because they have the means to do so and also use that as justification that they are somehow better than those who don't. I see my oldest kids having these principles because they make a great deal more than their brother and his friends. But when they didn't have the money, they shopped at Walmart too.

The people at Walmart pictures make an assumption that Walmart is the only place you would see those people.

jlai
01-01-2012, 11:12 PM
I have a lot of slim folks in my family and Target is a good place to shop for long and slim clothing. But I don't necessarily think their prices are great or anything. And their electronics refund policy is inconsistent.

I have to laugh at my one nephew who turned his nose at "Made in China" products, though I gently reminded him that the majority of the school supplies he consumed each year were...er...made in China.

KikiSashaFan
01-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Walmart. We don't have Target or Kmart here. I have to pass a Zellers to get to Walmart though, and sometimes I do stop there and try to find what I need, but I always end up annoyed I wasted my time and go to Walmart anyway. I like the Walmart we have here though. It's fairly new, clean, well laid out and it has everything from clothing to produce to a full service butcher to everything else you can imagine.

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 11:26 PM
My point that I often see people practicing principles because they have the means to do so and also use that as justification that they are somehow better than those who don't. I see my oldest kids having these principles because they make a great deal more than their brother and his friends. But when they didn't have the money, they shopped at Walmart too.
And I often see you being totally defensive any time anyone says anything that remotely could be seen as a dig at your choices.

People said they don't shop at certain stores because they are dirty. This is a perfectly reasonably reason not to shop at a store and responding 'well, yeah, other stores are dirty too!' makes no sense IMO and is just being defensive as if their choice to not shop at a certain store is somehow a dig on you shopping there when it isn't.

OTOH saying things like the people who practice principles are the ones who can afford to is a dig and it's not even accurate. Plenty of people will act according to their principles even if it means inconveniencing themselves or having to do without because acting on those particular principles means they have to spend more money and so can't buy as much.

Ironically NONE of the people who said they don't shop at Wal-mart (or Target or whatever store) because of their principles has said Boo about other people shopping there. So they aren't remotely trying to justify that they are "somehow better" than the people who do especially since they also haven't said anything that remotely could be interpreted as thinking they are better than people with different principles.

Because EVERYONE shops according to their own principles. It's just that we don't all have the same principles as each other.

my little pony
01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
i find all three unpleasant

orbitz
01-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I just don't get grocery shopping at Target. I've tried it a few times but I'm always disappointed. I'm guessing most of the people who grocery shop at Target or Wal-mart live somewhere with really crappy grocery stores or else Target/Wal-mart stock exactly what they need.

I never do my major grocery shopping at either Target or Walmart, but Walmart has Bumble Bee Tuna pouch for 88 cents; You can't beat that. Walmart also has cooked Rotisserie chicken for $4 vs. $8 at supermarket like Safeway. I have not been tempted to buy Walmart's chicken yet though, because it makes me wonder where the chickens come from that they can price it so cheap.

dbell1
01-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Coming back in to clarify my 'a bit more' comment up thread. I've always been on a budget and there were days in my past where there hasn't been extra money. I will hit 2+ stores in a week to get food - one's within walking distance and the other is right down the road (ACME and they have amazing sales). I do food shopping at Trader Joe's too - they have great prices. We buy only on sale and there's really not a lot of impulse buying in our world.

I actually had a talk last night with a friend about my 'Trader Joe's obsession'. :lol: Her husband said I shop at only expensive places, but I spend less than they do on similar stuff.

When I bought very cheap off brand food for my dog at WalMart, I had a $1,000 vet bill when he almost died from an allergic reaction. I switched to holistic and he's done incredible since then. It's tough to buy better food on our budget, but I do. And if I'm going to treat my dog to holistic food, then I'll try to buy organic and hormone free stuff as much as possible for the 3 humans in the house. :)

We have a BJ's membership too, split the cost with a friend - it saved me $100 on our eyeglasses, so it paid for itself on the first trip. :cool:

If I buy 'inexpensive' WalMart/Target/K-Mart type clothes, they don't last. A Lands End off season sale, a Kohl's clearance rack, even Ebay clothing shopping is my idea of a sale. I've got a $120 Lands End parka for winter, it cost me $35 in the middle of summer.

I also scour the internet during holidays/birthdays for sales - there's tons of great sites out there.

kwanfan1818
01-02-2012, 01:21 AM
(and runs the most IRRITATING ADS EVER CREATED with Target Lady)
Don't underestimate the power of the [Enter Name of Store] Lady: a friend's godmother helped to finance a brownstone in NYC from the fees and royalties from portraying "Mrs. K" in commercials for a discount store in Connecticut.

rfisher
01-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Target or Wal-mart for household goods. Wal-mart is closer, but Target is on my way home from work. I go to Kroger for most food. Their meats are far superior to Wal-marts. I don't buy clothing from either Wal-mart or Target unless they are essentially disposable items. My sister has worked for Target for years. They've been good to her. But, my niece's husband worked for Wal-Mart from the time he was 16 through college. He was able to cash in his stock options and make a down payment on a house. So, even though they don't pay all that well, there are benefits to working there. The only K-marts nearby are terrible.

aka_gerbil
01-02-2012, 01:35 AM
I would be surprised if that grocery store is still there a year after the Wal-Mart opens. And then Wal-Mart can raise their prices.

That's pretty much exactly what happened in my very small hometown. For years, we had a small Walmart and two grocery stores. One of the grocery stores was/is in a lower-income area where residents don't necessarily have transportation to the other side of town. The other grocery was part of a small regional chain. The grocery store in the low-income part of town survived because they had customers who couldn't make it out to walmart. The nicer grocery store ended up going out of business, and now, everyone complains how they miss it because the quality isn't anywhere nearly as good, especially meat and produce. The other grocery that surived actually has a fabulous meat department and what produce they carry is good. That said, they're small and don't have a big selection like the place that went of of business did. Also, they don't have a full-service deli or any sort of bakery. The walmart has a small deli section, but no bakery. People have to go out of town if they need a cake or anything like that made for them. (Old grocery store had a super fabulous baker with a very talented cake decorator person.)

Back when I was in grad school and living in civilization, I bought most of my meat, produce, and dairy products from Safeway and a fancier store that was a local-to-the-area chain. I did buy a lot of staples/non-perishables from Walmart because I was on a student budget and they were cheaper and closer than the nice Target (the closer Target was called Crappy Target by everyone because it was always dirty and disarray). Since I left, a Target was built in town, and if I were still there, I would shop there because I could do so without having to drive to a different town.

If/when I return to proper civilization, I'll have to revisit the where-to-shop decision.

ETA:

My sister has worked for Target for years. They've been good to her. But, my niece's husband worked for Wal-Mart from the time he was 16 through college. He was able to cash in his stock options and make a down payment on a house. So, even though they don't pay all that well, there are benefits to working there. The only K-marts nearby are terrible.

For all the (justifiable) complaining about Walmart's treatment of employees in general, I know quite a few people who have worked there at one point in time or another. They all seem to have had somewhat positive experiences with their jobs. Granted, these people were in there later years of HS or college, weren't trying to make a career of it, only wanted to work part-time, didn't need benefits because they were still covered on their parents' insurance, etc.

numbers123
01-02-2012, 01:36 AM
And I often see you being totally defensive any time anyone says anything that remotely could be seen as a dig at your choices.
I accept your opinion of me. I tend to think of it as standing up for myself and perhaps others who do not or would not - when I am passionate about something and I do become defense. One of my faults is the amount of passion I express and in the heat of those passionate feelings.

People said they don't shop at certain stores because they are dirty. This is a perfectly reasonably reason not to shop at a store and responding 'well, yeah, other stores are dirty too!' makes no sense IMO and is just being defensive as if their choice to not shop at a certain store is somehow a dig on you shopping there when it isn't.

I've read in more than one thread that Walmarts are dirty with the assumption that because one is then all are. Maybe all Walmarts are dirty. Maybe not all Walmarts are dirty. Maybe all Targets are clean and shiny, maybe all Targets are not. My point was more that it depends upon the management of the store and not the name brand. Apparently it did not appear to that to you. We can perceive things differently especially in the written word.
I've read in more than one thread that Walmart treats it's employees poorly. This maybe true as at least many practices has been documented and made public in terms of it's employment policies. I questioned if people knew the standards or practices of the other companies that they believe have the better practices and/or the companies that the corporation work for. You, yourself, pointed out that you do not agree with their corporate support.

OTOH saying things like the people who practice principles are the ones who can afford to is a dig and it's not even accurate. Plenty of people will act according to their principles even if it means inconveniencing themselves or having to do without because acting on those particular principles means they have to spend more money and so can't buy as much.
I accept your assessment of this. My statement goes beyond the confines of this thread. I have had people in other walks of my life saying that they could never set foot in Walmart or similar stores because they have a moral issue with the company. My RL assessment of people who have made that statement are ones who can afford to go to other places. Particularly in my inner city church, where there is a large population of below poverty income families. To me it is unconscionable to say this in the hearing of people who can not pay for their next meal or who are being employed by Walmart because that is the only employer hiring. I feel it is my social responsibility to speak for people who can not or do not speak for themselves. It was unreasonable of me to attach those interactions to the ones stated in this thread.

Ironically NONE of the people who said they don't shop at Wal-mart (or Target or whatever store) because of their principles has said Boo about other people shopping there. So they aren't remotely trying to justify that they are "somehow better" than the people who do especially since they also haven't said anything that remotely could be interpreted as thinking they are better than people with different principles.
Again life is a compilation of experiences and it is easy to read into statements typed on an internet forum based upon other experiences in life. I do believe it is my social responsibility to speak up for others. That in no way is saying that anyone in this thread does not or would not speak up for others. It is the way that I do that makes it appear defensive to others.

Because EVERYONE shops according to their own principles. It's just that we don't all have the same principles as each other.
I would prefer to shop at other places, but because of the lack of stocking items that I use the local Walmarts. I also use the local butcher shop for meats because they are fresh and much better quality than any grocery stores. I go to Kroger's, HyVee's and other grocery stores. Walmart and Super Targets are not the only places I shop. Clothing stores are generally Old Navy, Ann Taylor, American Eagle and Aeropostale. I do scour the internet for deals too.

My nature is to be passionate which in my case turns into defensive behavior. It does not make anyone else right or wrong, it is my assessment of me which you do concur with defensive when my choices are questioned. I did make a promise to myself late last year to change that behavior. It is difficult to change behavior.