PDA

View Full Version : Target, Walmart or KMart?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

vesperholly
01-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Walmart, Kmart and Target are all crap, always crowded, and I avoid them all costs. Meijer? :swoon: As much as I'd love to see one here, that likely means it would be ruined. I'm certain the limited geography and the fact that it is still family owned (aka, no altar of shareholder profits) what keeps it so nice.

When I was in Michigan a few years ago, I was ALL OVER Meijer. Great prices on fruit, particularly.

Meijer reminds me of Wegmans, which is an East Coast grocery store and still family-owned. I will forever shop at Wegmans, even though they rarely have sales or coupons. Their house brand is always cheaper than any name brand, even if there are coupons for the name brand, and it's very high quality.

I prefer Target to Walmart, especially since I worked at Target in college. But their selection is not nearly as extensive as Walmart, sometimes missing puzzlingly basic things like small legal pads and floor wax, and they can be overpriced.

Mostly I shop at Walmart for things I can't find at Target or Wegmans, or that are notably cheaper, like spices. I needed bay leaves for a recipe last week, and they were $4.99 at Wegmans and $2.82 at Walmart - same McCormick brand. They also carry all the Jiffy muffin mixes. But I would never buy their "Great Valu" brand - yuck. This year I finally stopped being a snob and tried on some clothes there. I like my puffy winter jacket and got some basic sweaters for $12 apiece. Their Danskin line of workout clothes is really nice, too.

Nothing tops Old Navy for cheap, decently stylish clothes. If you pay attention to their sales (like the 75% off ones before Thanksgiving), you can make a killing. I buy all my at-home loungey clothes there, and I like their sweaters though I'm :confused: why cropped and 3/4 sleeve sweaters seem to be popular this year.

Karina1974
01-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Walmart sucks. Almost everything in walmart is made in China.

They carry the exact same shit as the grocery stores in my area, and at a lower price, too. Everything "name brand" I buy from them that I could also buy from Price Chopper (the major grocery store in my area) if I wanted to buy, say, No Nonsense pantyhose for $3.99/pair vs. $3.00/pair at Walmart and B&J's ice cream for $2.98/pint vs. $5.19/pint at PC is exactly the same stuff, made in the same places under the same conditions.

Matryeshka
01-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't shop at Wal-Mart, not for any moral reason but because I tend to spend too much on their "sale" items. I buy things I don't need for the sake of BUT IT'S TWO DOLLARS LESS!!!!!!!! And I end up spending $10 that I would not have spent had seen the item at a higher-priced store. I can't go into Wal-Mart without spending less than $50, whereas if I go to a traditional store, I'd only spend $30 and bitch about the prices. :P

Lanie
01-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Target, usually. Last time I went into Wal-Mart was to get cheap Christmas lights.

cruisin
01-01-2012, 09:26 PM
^This.

Currently, none of these stores are less than 20 miles from us. WalMart is opening here in a few months, though, and I'm actually glad. Living in a town with only one full service grocery store means high grocery prices. WalMart = competition and I expect the current grocery store's prices will be going down to that chain's pricing in the neighboring metro area which we are not getting right now.

Interestingly, an ACME opened in our town a few years ago. ACME is not one of the higher priced grocery stores. The next closest grocery store to us is Kings (a more $$ NJ grocery store). Kings carries a lot of unusual foods, that are hard to find and has outstanding butcher & produce departments. Anyway, the ACME came in and rather than Kings lowering their prices, the ACME was built as a more upscale store and the prices at the ACME in our town are higher than other ACME's. Go figure!

I am surprised that so many people grocery shop at Walmart or Target. Around here, they have very limited grocery departments. Mostly canned, packaged, and frozen packaged foods. And the Walmart near here is so filthy and smells so bad I gaged just walking in the door. I walked right out, this was before I knew much about the company. Now i won't go in there for anything.

jlai
01-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I am surprised that so many people grocery shop at Walmart or Target. .

The thread title (Walmart, Target or Kmart) doesn't discourage people from saying they shop at these places (while many Walmart threads in the past did).

PDilemma
01-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Interestingly, an ACME opened in our town a few years ago. ACME is not one of the higher priced grocery stores. The next closest grocery store to us is Kings (a more $$ NJ grocery store). Kings carries a lot of unusual foods, that are hard to find and has outstanding butcher & produce departments. Anyway, the ACME came in and rather than Kings lowering their prices, the ACME was built as a more upscale store and the prices at the ACME in our town are higher than other ACME's. Go figure!

I am surprised that so many people grocery shop at Walmart or Target. Around here, they have very limited grocery departments. Mostly canned, packaged, and frozen packaged foods. And the Walmart near here is so filthy and smells so bad I gaged just walking in the door. I walked right out, this was before I knew much about the company. Now i won't go in there for anything.

Well...we have to eat. So I'm hoping it drives prices down. The chain store here is literally higher priced than their stores in the city 25 miles away. And I can't see WalMart going "upscale".

And, FTR, in this area many Targets and most WalMarts have full grocery departments with meat, produce, bakeries, and delis or I wouldn't be thinking of grocery shopping there. We don't eat very much packaged/processed food. I make most things from scratch.

My impression of WalMart and cleanliness is that it depends on the location. The older store where my parents live is in a basically lower/working class area and dirty. The one far south is near the wealthiest part of town and is spotless. I don't think that is a reflection of the customers directly, but perhaps management thinks that keeping it decent matters more in the wealthier area.

LilJen
01-01-2012, 10:01 PM
The REAL question is, do you know the silly joke my daughter learned in first grade?

Stand facing someone. Tell them to hold out their hands (as though you'll do "gimme five").
Say "Wal-Mart" (slap one of the other person's hand), "Kmart" (slap the other hand), "TARGET!" (hit their forehead). Deliciously stupid.

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't think the KK brand is doing that well. I can't imagine Sears shoppers would buy the burstiers and animal prints that were on displayed. The materials also seem to be of the cheap kind. What was Sears thinking going into business with them?
My question is: what were the Kardashians thinking? I guess it's a bizarre choice on both sides.

Their CEO tends to donate to lots of conservative causes, and yes, that bothers me as well.
It's not just that. I don't care what the CEO does with his own money. But Target, the corporate entity, has donated to organizations that I not only don't agree with but I consider to be hate mongers. I don't want my money going to hate mongers.

I don't get my groceries from Target. I go to a grocery store for that.
Yeah, I just don't get grocery shopping at Target. I've tried it a few times but I'm always disappointed. I'm guessing most of the people who grocery shop at Target or Wal-mart live somewhere with really crappy grocery stores or else Target/Wal-mart stock exactly what they need. I can't find 25% of the stuff on my list and another 10% they carry something but I don't like the selection.

UMBS Go Blue
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I just don't get grocery shopping at Target. I've tried it a few times but I'm always disappointed. I'm guessing most of the people who grocery shop at Target or Wal-mart live somewhere with really crappy grocery stores or else Target/Wal-mart stock exactly what they need. I can't find 25% of the stuff on my list and another 10% they carry something but I don't like the selection.In many parts of the country there are full Walmart and Target "supercenters" that are truly gigantic, fully stocked supermarkets and discount stores, just like Meijer in the Midwest, and Carrefour/Tesco in Europe/the developing world. These are primarily in suburban, exurban, and rural areas where space for truly big box stores isn't at a premium. They're just one notch below a Sam's Club or Costco in size and scope.

nubka
01-01-2012, 10:16 PM
orbitz I think Sears should ditch their soft lines and stick with what they are good at or focus on what they should be good at-- Craftsman tools, appliance (AND appliance repair), and a few other departments like mower/garden, misc hardware. Honestly does anyone say they are excited to shop at Sears for jewelry, clothing, shoes or cosmetics?

The Brady Bunch does... :cool:

numbers123
01-01-2012, 10:21 PM
People who are able to stand strongly behind their "principles" are generally people who can afford to purchase items at the higher end stores. I don't like or condone the business practices of walmart, but to single them out because they are a large company is a little uppity. Do you really know the business practices of the smaller companies? How about the truck transporters that brings the consumables to your area - there are trucking companies that are horrid to their staff/employees and every store needs to transport items from one place to another? Or how they determine their pricing?

A couple of years ago, a news story was done about one of the major stores and their pricing practices. If you went to xyz store in the inner city area where there was little to no transportation means, the prices of items like diapers or food was 10 - 15% higher than those items in a more affluent neighborhood - houses that were over 500,000 - 1.5 million and generally a 2 car family so they could drive to the cheapest price advertised. Target was one of those studied.

It is socially acceptable to make a "people at Walmart" judgement, but the franchese couldn't make a go of it with just those people. There must be some other more affluent shoppers at their stores. They can't make a business without all societal classes utilizing their stores.

Any store can be dirty and unappealing in nature - any. I've been in stores like Crate and Barrel, that were so filthy, I wouldn't want to touch anything, let alone buy it. For the most part it is the franchise owner/district manager that has control over the stores' appearances. And the budget that they have been approved to have.

nubka
01-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Target is supposedly anti Gay.

I have a friend who is quite openly gay and he works at Target. He has facial piercings, too, and wears his "jewelry" to work with no problem.

nubka
01-01-2012, 10:23 PM
People who are able to stand strongly behind their "principles" are generally people who can afford to purchase items at the higher end stores. I don't like or condone the business practices of walmart, but to single them out because they are a large company is a little uppity. Do you really know the business practices of the smaller companies? How about the truck transporters that brings the consumables to your area - there are trucking companies that are horrid to their staff/employees and every store needs to transport items from one place to another? Or how they determine their pricing?

A couple of years ago, a news story was done about one of the major stores and their pricing practices. If you went to xyz store in the inner city area where there was little to no transportation means, the prices of items like diapers or food was 10 - 15% higher than those items in a more affluent neighborhood - houses that were over 500,000 - 1.5 million and generally a 2 car family so they could drive to the cheapest price advertised. Target was one of those studied.

It is socially acceptable to make a "people at Walmart" judgement, but the franchese couldn't make a go of it with just those people. There must be some other more affluent shoppers at their stores. They can't make a business without all societal classes utilizing their stores.

Any store can be dirty and unappealing in nature - any. I've been in stores like Crate and Barrel, that were so filthy, I wouldn't want to touch anything, let alone buy it. For the most part it is the franchise owner/district manager that has control over the stores' appearances. And the budget that they have been approved to have.

WORD! Thank you for your post. :respec:

FunnyBut
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Walmart, it has the best prices. Target is often priced higher than regular grocery stores, and I expect a big box discounter to be significantly cheaper. If I need something really nice, I won't be shopping at any of these 3 stores.

Kmart is not really present in my area.